Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Greyfox wrote: »
    It means we have opened our minds to things other than RTE so choosing local only is quite backwards when there's a world of great stuff out these, a mix of local and foreign is ideal but picking just local or just foreign is silly and close minded

RTE is obsessed with the EPL!

Even interrupt big horse racing/GAA/rugby/ events on radio to bring reports about "beloved Wigan."

A joke of a national broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

YFlyer wrote: »
    I supported Tottenham Hotspur since 1982. Supported Limerick before then when known as Limerick United.

In 1982 was Tottingham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Might aswell ask why do Welsh & Scottish & Chineses & Thai support English teams. Same reason I follow Spanish football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

It means we have opened our minds to things other than RTE so choosing local only is quite backwards when there's a world of great stuff out these, a mix of local and foreign is ideal but picking just local or just foreign is silly and close minded

The same RTE who showed EPL 3pm kick offs for several years & a weekly highlights show?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

begbysback wrote: »
    In 1982 was Tottingham

Those days are well gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Bonniedog wrote: »
    What has multi culturalism, or culture at all for that matter, got to do with Irish people being infatuated with English popular culture from soccer to soap operas and cr@p newspapers and music?

Is it just English culture you have a problem with-what do you think of someone who likes American films ,sport or music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

RTE is obsessed with the EPL!

Even interrupt big horse racing/GAA/rugby/ events on radio to bring reports about "beloved Wigan."

A joke of a national broadcaster.

I'd suggest you're obsessed with what you perceive to be RTE's obsession.

They're not in the slightest bit obsessed with EPL, they do a decent job of trying to mention all the popular sports that their audience want to hear about.
    It would be plain stupid on their part to ignore ANY sport that their audience want to hear about so they try to achieve a balance.

I'm no fan of RTE generally by the way but accusing them of being obsessed with EPL is just incorrect and unfair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Only barstoolers talk nonsense as they have no real understanding how the game works. EPL teams are good for Irish people:D:D:rolleyes:

Your last paragraph is so wrong on so many levels and proves your complete lack of understanding of anything to do with the game. AGAIN real fans go to the games in their own city/country. Go to any country and you will see this:rolleyes:

Most Barstoolers understand the game far better than you. Ah so you lost the argument so you just keep repeating yourself, posts like this are doing a disservice to the Airtricity league. Of course the EPL is good for Irish people, can you not see how happy Liverpool fans are? We both know my last paragraph is 100% correct, if you were a football fan you'd understand but your posts show a real lack of football knowledge.

The EPL maybe goof for Irish people but it's not good for Irish football.

That's the main thing, Irish football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Most Barstoolers understand the game far better than you. Ah so you lost the argument so you just keep repeating yourself, posts like this are doing a disservice to the Airtricity league. Of course the EPL is good for Irish people, can you not see how happy Liverpool fans are? We both know my last paragraph is 100% correct, if you were a football fan you'd understand but your posts show a real lack of football knowledge.

Funniest thing I have ever read on the internet! :D:D:D

Beyond clueless. You have to be a wum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Chelsea are in town in 2 weeks playing bohs and pats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Is it just English culture you have a problem with-what do you think of someone who likes American films ,sport or music?

EPL, Eastenders, the Spice Girls, Chubby Brown are not English culture :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The English don't have a culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

The English don't have a culture.

What is left of Irish culture ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Love the way LOI fans are so passionate about an English sport!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Car99 wrote: »
    What is left of Irish culture ?

Nothing if the new breed have their way. It's been an all-out rejection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Beyond clueless. You have to be a wum

This reminds me of a child in the playground responding to a slagging by saying I know you are but what am I. I'm no wum, there's nothing wrong with preferring football on tv as long as you also give live football a chance. The fact of the matter is your not able to prove that you know more about football than your average barstooler so its pointless trying. If someones knowledge of football is just the Airtricity league thats a very limited amount of football knowledge. A huge part of football is a clubs history, rivalries, great players, passionate fans and success and its in area's like these that EPL clubs are far superior. You cant just tell people they have to follow the Airtricity league, instead you need to try to persuade people like others on here have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

blade1 wrote: »
    Love the way LOI fans are so passionate about an English sport!! :pac:

I'd say it's more so a global sport. Every nation on the planet plays it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'd say it's more so a global sport. Every nation on the planet plays it.

Yeah that's what's its become probably because people from all over the world followed the English league and then decided to copy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Yeah that's what's its become probably because people from all over the world followed the English league and then decided to copy them.

Or maybe because it's just a fantastic game and any kid in the world can go and play it on a lawn, beach, car-park, street etc once they have a ball.
    Doesn't matter who invented it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

If someones knowledge of football is just the Airtricity league thats a very limited amount of football knowledge.

If someones football knowledge is just EPL thats a very limited amount of football knowledge also.
    A huge part of football is a clubs history, rivalries, great players, passionate fans and success and its in area's like these that EPL clubs are far superior.

Now that is just an idiotic statement to make.

This statement though makes the last one look sane. Just think about how long football has been being played all over the world and how it would have been physically impossible for people outside the UK never mind Europe to be following the English league.

• Advertisement

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Now that is just an idiotic statement to make.
    /QUOTE]

Don't be silly, it's as factual as 11 players are on a football team. Compare Liverpool to Shamrock rovers under those categirys.. Liverpool have a far better history, Anfield on a huge day beats Rovers on a huge day etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Don't be silly, it's as factual as 11 players are on a football team. Compare Liverpool to Shamrock rovers under those categirys.. Liverpool have a far better history, Anfield on a huge day beats Rovers on a huge day etc

Being in Tallaght on Cup Final day beats watching telly though.

How is the history better? That is a completely subjective thing. And if anything the history of Rovers is far more enthralling than Liverpools. Rovers also have far less blackspots on their history.
    As for Anfield on a huge day (first of all if you're going to talk ****e at least use the stadium name, talking about anfield and to then say rovers just screams ignorance) you've clearly never been to a Dublin derby, never experienced scoring a leveller in the 88th minute and the winner in the 89th in a derby between first and second in the table. A world cup final wouldn't compare to the atmosphere at that, or even the derby in Tallaght earlier this season you couldn't hear yourself think from about 15 minutes before kickoff.

you've clearly never been to a Dublin derby, never experienced scoring a leveller in the 88th minute and the winner in the 89th in a derby between first and second in the table. A world cup final wouldn't compare to the atmosphere at that, or even the derby in Tallaght earlier this season you couldn't hear yourself think from about 15 minutes before kickoff.

I've actually been to at least 3 Dublin derbys. Been in a stadium with 5,000 passionate fans cheering on your team with you is brill but been in a stadium with 50,000 passionate fans all cheering on your team with you is better. I accept most of the time 50,000 fans are quiet but when 50,000 fans are making noise it's unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Anfield on a big European night is pretty unfair comparison for anything. The recent Barcelona 4-0 game was one of the best atmospheres you'd get anywhere in the world given the drama and size of the night.

Yes you'll have games locally that will mean just as much to fans who will sing just as loud... But it's not a fair comparison, you're not going to come anywhere close to matching it in the LOI because of the context

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

How is the history better? That is a completely subjective thing. And if anything the history of Rovers is far more enthralling than Liverpools. Rovers also have far less blackspots on their history.
    As for Anfield on a huge day (first of all if you're going to talk ****e at least use the stadium name, talking about anfield and to then say rovers just screams ignorance) you've clearly never been to a Dublin derby, never experienced scoring a leveller in the 88th minute and the winner in the 89th in a derby between first and second in the table. A world cup final wouldn't compare to the atmosphere at that, or even the derby in Tallaght earlier this season you couldn't hear yourself think from about 15 minutes before kickoff.

Both Liverpool and Rovers would be the same. The scumbag element to their support and the fact both would be known as Irelands/Englands shame to other clubs fans would be the reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Both Liverpool and Rovers would be the same.

Liverpool are one of the best soccer teams on the planet right now.

So yeah, they're the same alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Both Liverpool and Rovers would be the same. The scumbag element to their support and the fact both would be known as Irelands/Englands shame to other clubs fans would be the reasons.

Would you be referring to heysel stadium incident when you say that Liverpool are ‘englands shame’ to other clubs......?

Do shamrock rovers have a similar shameful incident in their history....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

8-10 wrote: »
    Liverpool are one of the best soccer teams on the planet right now.

I agree, Liverpool are one of the best football clubs on the planet right now.....
    along with ManU, Chelsea, ManCity, Spurs, West Ham, not forgetting Accrington Stanley :D

• Advertisement

I've actually been to at least 3 Dublin derbys. Been in a stadium with 5,000 passionate fans cheering on your team with you is brill but been in a stadium with 50,000 passionate fans all cheering on your team with you is better. I accept most of the time 50,000 fans are quiet but when 50,000 fans are making noise it's unreal

Ah the old, "I was at a game before, I was in de shed and the language was awful, the guys in the green and white were playing the guys in black and red but I can't remember when it was or what the score was"

Rovers have never gotten a whole country banned from European football though have we?

Advertisement