Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N3 - Virginia Bypass [route options published]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

New website up and running with information about the bypass.

http://n3virginiabypass.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Reminder; Public consultation starts today and tomorrow.
    The first public consultation shall take place on the 11th and 12th March 2020 at the Virginia Show Centre, Virginia, between 2pm and 8pm on both days.

Cavan County Council invites the public to attend this public consultation event and provide their comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Reminder; Public consultation starts today and tomorrow.

I am in north cavan tommorrow i might pop in and see what the low down is

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Well, that is certainly a big plate of spaghetti.
    Wide range of routings there, both sides of existing road, and many quite far away from it.
    Seems crazy you would deviate to the west of the lake, but what do I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

spacetweek wrote: »
    Wide range of routings there, both sides of existing road, and many quite far away from it.

Agreed any route south of the lake is pure nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Just looking at all those potential routes, is it normal practice to provide so many alternative routes when planning a bypass like this? Basically most of the farmers in the parishes affected will have one or other of these options going somewhere through their farms and they all must be having a heart attack looking at this map!

Does anyone have any idea what the favoured route is most likely to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Jegger

Is west of the lake crazy?
    It might mean growth of the town won't run up against a busy road like this in the future and it would be better for traffic coming B-duff/Granard direction as they will be able to access slip road onto by-pass.

Jegger wrote: »
    Is west of the lake crazy?
    It might mean growth of the town won't run up against a busy road like this in the future and it would be better for traffic coming B-duff/Granard direction as they will be able to access slip road onto by-pass.

From a purely agriculture point of view I personally think it would be a shame to drive a road through the fairly decent (by Cavan standards) land of Munterconnaught rather than the north side of the lake via Murmod/Killinkere routing where the land quality is mixed to say the least.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2020/04/14/4188576-virginia-bypass-feedback-deadline-extended/

Feedback deadline extended.

They plan to have the route selected by this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

MayoSalmon wrote: »

You are damned if you do and damed if you don't

Have to be seen to have considered everything initially, alot will drop out for various reasons

You are damned if you do and damed if you don't

Have to be seen to have considered everything initially, alot will drop out for various reasons

I wonder had they ever only 2 routes in there heads

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/159901/0/1?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Traffic survey data tender awarded to Tracsis.

Presumably will be deferred now as the data available at present is fairly meaningless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marno21 wrote: »
    Presumably will be deferred now as the data available at present is fairly meaningless.

When will data become "meaningful" again? Any commuter traffic on the route won't be back until 2021 at earliest!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

MayoSalmon wrote: »

well, you've got Oldcastle and Ballyjamesduff that side of the lake, improving connections to them might be a consideration. I always wondered why the M3 wasn't routed to go closer to Trim, instead of going through the Tara Skryne valley...

https://i.imgur.com/sTQQu3W.png

Cavan County Council has appointed Tracsis Traffic Data Limited to carry out traffic surveys on the N3 National Roads and Regional and Local Roads surrounding Virginia and environs, Co. Cavan and north of Kells Co. Meath to assist with the planning and design of the N3 Virginia Bypass project.

The traffic surveys will be carried out from September to early October 2020. Apart from temporary traffic management during the installation and removal of the survey equipment there should be no impact on traffic during the surveys.

Preferred route in 2021, ABP in 2022, decision in 2023 is the current broad timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Cancelled in 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 17 spawinte

Sensors for the traffic study are in place.

I think tomorrow the shortlisted route options are being announced for this project

There is nothing on the N3 website but this is from the Anglo Celt today

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2020/11/11/five-routes-outlined-for-virgina-bypass/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

N3 Virginia Bypass - Shortlisted Options

A virtual public consultation room will be accessible at www.innovision.ie/n3virginiabypass

532517.JPG

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    N3 Virginia Bypass - Shortlisted Options

A virtual public consultation room will be accessible at www.innovision.ie/n3virginiabypass

532517.JPG

At least 2 of the 4 shortlisted options now seem to meet up with the N3 north of Virginia at spots that are different to those shown on the previous map illustrating the 8 original route options. Is this normal? Can the routes be changed like this from the originals shown before the public consultation?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Any opinions of the purple route

steeler j wrote: »

The positives would be it would open better access to ballyjamesduff( If they wanted they could improve the road from New Inn to ballyjamesduff for access) . The negatives would be cost i would say compare to the other options as its longer and there would be alot of muckshifting

steeler j wrote: »

Well from a farming perspective I hope its not chosen as it goes right through some of the only half-decent land in Cavan. Whereas the routes on the northern side of Lough Ramor go though what ranges from average land to bogland.

And as the previous poster alluded to if the purple route is chosen it would surely make sense to alter it to bring it closer to the east side of Ballyjamesduff to serve that town and merge with the existing N3 somewhere around the New Inns? As it is mapped currently that route would not go anywhere close to that town.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd go for A myself. Used to live in the town a decade ago and was badly needed even then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Well from a farming perspective I hope its not chosen as it goes right through some of the only half-decent land in Cavan. Whereas the routes on the northern side of Lough Ramor go though what ranges from average land to bogland.

And as the previous poster alluded to if the purple route is chosen it would surely make sense to alter it to bring it closer to the east side of Ballyjamesduff to serve that town and merge with the existing N3 somewhere around the New Inns? As it is mapped currently that route would not go anywhere close to that town.
    The big hill at Aghalion right between the purple route and Ballyjamesduff probably rules that out.

There's a possible route further west of that hill right at the edge of the study area, but that's taking the road very far out of its way, and you'd also need to go a long way beyond New Inn to bring the road around the Nadreegeel lakes (just off the left edge of this map).

Improved access to Ballyjamesduff can be achieved by improving R194 from where it meets the Purple route instead.

My feeling is Option C is the preferred one: it's the only one they've bothered to include link roads for, and it would make use of what would hopefully have been a protected corridor established back in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Anything but Option B...get it built

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'd go for A myself. Used to live in the town a decade ago and was badly needed even then
    A is traffic management with no new infrastructure.

From a fairly rudimental reading of the map, I'd imagine they go for red (perhaps the grey alteration at the northern end) with the two blue link roads. The southern link road provides access to the town and the Glanbia plant, and the northern link road provides access to the R194. Two grade separated junctions and you have a very good scheme here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

marno21 wrote: »
    From a fairly rudimental reading of the map, I'd imagine they go for red (perhaps the grey alteration at the northern end) with the two blue link roads. The southern link road provides access to the town and the Glanbia plant, and the northern link road provides access to the R194. Two grade separated junctions and you have a very good scheme here.

I think the southern link is too far north, it could be moved at least 1km south which would give a better spacing of junctions and better serve the population south of Virginia plus Virginia Transport and AW Ennis which between them probably see more large vehicle movements than Glanbia.

I think a LILO situated between the R178 and R194 would be a better location with a parallel new road connecting to both. Traffic can then access Virginia by either of those roads plus Bailieborough and Mullagh. You could then have another junction on the northern side of Virginia which would again allow access to the town plus BJD.

Advertisement