Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fortnightly Marvel Graphic Novel Collection

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thwip! wrote: »
    ah read it again, it's actually decent... i had problems with Marvel Zombies though, bored me a little

I have already read that so don't think I will bother again, it really is a product of it's time. Now Zombies have replaced shiney vampires as flavour of the month and it seems pretty stale....also the fact that it has had 12 sequels at this stage doesn't do it any favours.

I enjoyed Daredevil, although it could have done without Captain America in the final issue. And I am always disappointed that when I read a storyline that I have heard/read a lot about in magazines like Wizard, that it actually transpires so quickly in the storyline. I like slow building stories and it would have been nice to see the breakdown of Daredevil transpire over a much longer time period. Didn't detract from my enjoyment too much though.

I reckon She-Hulk will be next up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I liked Disassembled Really good i thought good way of rebooting the avengers and giving Wanda something to do even if it is just to go mental lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

She-Hulk is awesome, Slott nails it

and Brian i just couldnt get into disassembled, Fincher's layouts threw me out of the story

So I might be nit picking but at the end of Avengers Forever how do the good Avengers know who the bad Avengers are...and the bad Avengers know who the good ones are?

Just finished 'Welcome Back Frank'.

Ennis is such a one trick pony it's not even funny, good thing he is good at that trick.

It's Preacher lite but still enjoyable, looking forward to the second part.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »

Ennis is such a one trick pony it's not even funny, good thing he is good at that trick.

I thought it was ok, not a big dillon fan tbh, but it was different

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For my money the best thing Ennis + Dillon ever did was the Heartland one-shot about Kit Ryan. I often find Ennis to be a bit one-note, and Dillon's female characters almost all look the same - but they both nailed their craft in this story; if you don't appreciate it you've a heart made of stone.

Thwip! wrote: »
    I thought it was ok, not a big dillon fan tbh, but it was different

I am not the biggest Dillon fan myself, his art just looks very static and has little movement in it. Kinda reminds me a little of Frank Quitely although I much prefer Quitely's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Fysh wrote: »
    For my money the best thing Ennis + Dillon ever did was the Heartland one-shot about Kit Ryan. I often find Ennis to be a bit one-note, and Dillon's female characters almost all look the same - but they both nailed their craft in this story; if you don't appreciate it you've a heart made of stone.

Heart made of land more like. Amirite?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

mayordenis wrote: »
    Heart made of land more like. Amirite?

*rimshot*

That was dreadful :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Ennis's work on Battlefields/Enemy Ace/War Stories is so much better than his other stuff that its unreal, just a pity not as many people read them.

Thoughts on Secret Wars Part 1 anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I am not the biggest Dillon fan myself, his art just looks very static and has little movement in it. Kinda reminds me a little of Frank Quitely although I much prefer Quitely's.

Dillon's art seems to have continually regressed the longer he's worked in america. The stuff he did for Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper for 2000AD in the early/mid-80's was phenomenal.

Dillon's art seems to have continually regressed the longer he's worked in america. The stuff he did for Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper for 2000AD in the early/mid-80's was phenomenal.

The only real Dredd Artists that stick out for me are Ezquerra, and Brian Bolland. Although i am sure if I seen Dillon's work I would recognize it...it just seems so flat and lacking any sense of movement in 'Welcome back Frank'.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Agreed. I think it's probably due to the time constraints inherent in Marvel/DC comics. If you look at a comic like Green Lantern, the artist has up to four or five inkers, colourists etc. etc. They don't care too much about getting the best out of the artist; they just want it to be good enough and get it out there as much as possible, as many times as possible.

Dillon's artwork for Marvel isn't really suited to this style and the computer colouring really makes it dull and lifeless. I also get the sense that he's just fecking bored drawing it. Dillon's a much more dynamic artist than he's given credit for. For all the talking heads in Preacher, there was a also a lot of action!

Of course, I don't think the new computer colouring suits Ezquerra's artwork in the latest issues of 2000AD either but there could be other factors involved there (Ezquerra's pretty old now and has had health issues; his son helps him out on the artwork these days).
    The only real Dredd Artists that stick out for me are Ezquerra, and Brian Bolland. Although i am sure if I seen Dillon's work I would recognize it...it just seems so flat and lacking any sense of movement in 'Welcome back Frank'.

Not Mike McMahon!? Ron Smith, Colin MacNeil and Henry Flint are also ones that really stick out to me. As well as Brett Ewins/Brendan McCarthy but they were very stylistic as well, of course. Cam Kennedy has become one of my favourite Dredd artists in recent years though, after reading through all those JD Case Files.

chopper1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Just been told about this by the Big Bang shop in Dundrum
    http://www.mightiestcollection.com/index.html

what are peoples thoughts on it coming out halfway through the first run?? Will you get it alongside this one?
    Am thinking of subscribing for the first 4 issues just to get the free gifts but after peoples experience with subscribing off the websites here I am having second thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

This is a stupid idea. I'm have thus far stuck with the MGNC but there are times where I feel that I'm only keeping it up to complete the collection. I certainly will not be adding this new series to my purchase list.

As growingly expensive as the current collection is, the chosen stories are well selected so I know it will be a solid collection once finished.

Saw it and i'm wondering how many of the stories will be present in both collections?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When does this one start? I would get the first issue at least. Don't see a start date on the site.

Edit: I see on wiki it started last month
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Official_Marvel_Graphic_Novel_Collection#Marvel.27s_Mightiest_Heroes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

CastorTroy wrote: »
    When does this one start? I would get the first issue at least. Don't see a start date on the site.

Edit: I see on wiki it started last month
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Official_Marvel_Graphic_Novel_Collection#Marvel.27s_Mightiest_Heroes

That's strange I'm in Easons pretty much every week and I didn't see it anywhere. I've only been in Forbidden Planet 3 times this year and didn't notice it there either.

Looking at the stories featured on wikipedia this series looks like it has potential but as it is I'm dropping €30 a month into this so I personally wouldn't be able to keep up both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Its probably on a test run in the UK at the moment they do this with the first few issues of a partwork to see if it sells before launching it everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Just got Captain America: The Chosen today. Is everyone still collecting? I’m surprised and delighted that my local Easons are still putting it on the shelf. I’m currently filling in gaps in the collection, ordering back issues. Initially I was only buying certain titles, stuff I was into but I’ve found that I like them so much, I want them all now!! Is this normal behaviour for this type of thing!!? :D

Im still collecting, i like seeing how some parts of the picture are starting to come together now :)

I'm missing 2 parts but I'll just grab them on eBay or something it's starting to look pretty cool it must be said

What two parts are u missing?

Kraven's Last Hunt and Avengers Disassembled

Both on eBay now, there's a kraven's last hunt that's ridiculously cheap

Oooh I'm missing Kraven too! What would you guys recommend between Kraven and Marvels?

ripperman wrote: »
    Oooh I'm missing Kraven too! What would you guys recommend between Kraven and Marvels?

As in which is better?

• Advertisement

Sorry, yeah which is better?

Advertisement