Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Irishness of the Duke of Wellington" - 2 Day Conference

• 29-09-2013 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

We are hosting a conference for Trinity College on 4/5 October entitled "The Irishness of the Hon. Arthur Wesley, 1st Duke of Wellington".

This interesting conference is organised jointly by the Centre for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, Trinity College Dublin (Director: Dr Sarah Alyn Stacey, FTCD 2004), and The Chaucer Hub (Director: Dr Gerald Morgan, FTCD 1993).

The spelling in the title is deliberate - the name Wellesley was adopted in 1798 by the Duke.

Myths debunked such as the attribution of the phrase - "If a gentleman happens to be born in a stable, it does not follow that he should be called a horse" - which is said to be in response to a question posed to him asking if he were Irish.

These words were actually said by Daniel O'Connell who said those words on 1 October 1843, at a dinner speech after the Monster Meeting earlier that day in Mullaghmast. You can see it on page 93 of Shaw’s Authenticated Report of the Irish State Trials (1844).

Daniel O'Connell had said: ""The poor old Duke! What shall I say of him? To be sure he was born in Ireland, but being born in a stable does not make a man a horse." Shaw's Authenticated Report of the Irish State Trials (1844), p. 93 - http://tinyurl.com/mgfwce9

There are also a couple of lectures involving Napoleon.

Full programme details can be found here: http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=obtwhejab&oeidk=a07e86oe87m3885fcd6

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

This sounds fascinating but I'm washing my hair that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭WildSaffron

Har de har.

Although having started to read up about Wellington - it is a fascinating era and I am drawn in.

Good luck with the clean hair and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Pah! Boards.ie readers would have found this out four years ago.

In fact I think Boards should get an acknowledgement. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Pah! Boards.ie readers would have found this out four years ago.

In fact I think Boards should get an acknowledgement. :D

Actually, I think you deserve the acknowledgment. God knows how many times I've linked to that post when I've heard the old urban myth.

Advertisement