Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you got any tattoos or considered getting them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Got one when I was 18, regretted it by the time I was 21 - got it covered with another design last year over 15 years later. One that actually meant something to me and I love it. I'll probably get more work done when COVID allows for it.

If anyone is thinking about getting one I'd advise that they actually think about it properly and not just get one for the sake of getting one like my younger, idiotic self did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

L1011 wrote: »
    Don't judge anyone who has them, except for neck and facial ones that is.

Why judge people with facial or neck tattoos either? What’s the rational for that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why judge people with facial or neck tattoos either? What’s the rational for that?

If you have them, you have clearly decided to make a show of yourself.

You are basically never going to get paid employment with them.

I'm not talking about cultural facial tattooing, I'm talking about the "getting me mots name tattooed under my eye" stuff, or faux-tribal tattoos extended up from a sleeve, or indeed 99.999% of facial and neck tattoos.

Because it shows incredibly poor judgement on the part of the person with the tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I get ye but is there many non tribal people getting facial tattoos?
    Maybe I’m just not noticing it.
    I see many cultural tattoos where I am but I don’t pay much heed to them really (the tattoos that is) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No.

People with tattoos die younger.

Have you ever seen a 100 year old with tattoos?

No, cus they die younger.

So no, I won't be getting a tattoo ever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I have three, one on my foot/ankle one on my upper arm and one on my stomach. I’d love a tiny one behind my ear but wouldn’t get one there as long as im still working age. Just in case I get a job where I’d be required to tie up my hair. I’ve never regretted getting any of my tats. Piercings are a different story I still have a scarred eyebrow decades after taking out my eyebrow piercing. I also have a kink in my ear in the cartilage at the top where one was done badly which I took out straight away. I regret those.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

this video may answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Planning to get one for over a year now.. first I had the money but then came lockdown.. then I needed to save money.. and now that I have the spare cash again..lockdown

You just can't wait to waste your money matey.

The foolishness of a broke guy willing to mutilate himself with trampstamps.

Go ahead buddy. Tee Hee Hee...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

My wife is more tattooed than not. Only places she doesn't have ink is her face, neck and parts of her arms. I've never seen her without her ink. I've only 4 myself.

They're not for everyone. Personal choice is just that. If you don't like them then don't get one.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    No.

People with tattoos die younger.

Have you ever seen a 100 year old with tattoos?

No, cus they die younger.

So no, I won't be getting a tattoo ever.

Try it you might live to be 104

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whang-od

Also knew a few lads from my mens shed who had them, and lived into their 90s, and a couple of my old college lecturers who would now be in their 60s.

Don't have any myself, but don't mind people who do. Once they are well done, they can look good even years later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

None, and can't understand how they became so fashionable. Suspect there's going to be huge demand for laser or any future dye-destruction tech in a few years when the fashion moves away again. And it will.

They've been quite popular for some time now. Particularly with the likes of professional footballers. I agree they have become more popular in recent years but they have become much more socially accepted in the last 20 years in general even if they weren't exactly in the vogue.

What about Mike Tyson? On a serious note I have seen lads working on sites with neck tattoos so it doesn't completely rule you out from having a job.

I don't have any. I know if eventually get sick of whatever I'd get done.

GT89 wrote: »
    What about Mike Tyson? On a serious note I have seen lads working on sites with neck tattoos so it doesn't completely rule you out from having a job.

I think they meant white collar jobs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I considered getting a tattoo when I was younger but being honest with myself I realised I just wanted to look cool. So I was 100% going to regret them.

Some people look good with tats. Some girls look hawt with tats. A lot of people look like they’re trying too hard. Cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

As a teenager I'd always wanted tattoos. I came close a couple of times to the usual crap holiday tattoos but then as I got older the more I realised they just weren't for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You just can't wait to waste your money matey.

The foolishness of a broke guy willing to mutilate himself with trampstamps.

Go ahead buddy. Tee Hee Hee...

Let me guess.. Journal commenter? Issues pal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Never cared for them when I was younger but ever since women started covering their bodies with tattoos I think they look trashy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This isn't true.
    I know two people with jobs and facial tattoos.

In, fact, I only know two people with face tattoos and they both have jobs. Both public facing jobs, too.

Also have an employee covered in tats but I don't think he has any on his face. Fairly sure he has visible neck tats but I'm not entirely sue. I'll have to look more closely.

I have one very small, very poor, very old tattoo on my shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I have a very small one on my foot, done by a charming French man with a hand held needle and a bottle of Indian ink. We were drinking very good red wine together at the time in a small village in the south of France. I like it and if I ever wash up on a shoreline the answer to does she have any identifying marks will be Yes.
    I have an old friend, a very tall slender English woman of 70, who is posh, tasteful, intelligent, accomplished and covered in tattoos. She offers her skin as a canvas to young artists whose budding work she admires. Elegant work. I would not do it in a fit but she wears them very well. I have no desire for any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I got my final tattoo recently, its an ear tattooed on my forehead.

Ive reached the final frontier.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Some people are prone to skin cancer.

For them getting a tattoo can be a skin cancer magnet.

Look it up. Google is your friend.

Completely incorrect. Having tattoos does not increase your risk of getting skin cancer.

What a tattoo can do is make detection harder for example if you got black ink over a mole and that mole changed it would be harder to see the changes.
    But tattoos do not increase your risk of getting cancer. They also don't react to MRI machines.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

None, and can't understand how they became so fashionable. Suspect there's going to be huge demand for laser or any future dye-destruction tech in a few years when the fashion moves away again. And it will.

The same thing has been said since they became popular in the 50s and it hasn't gone away yet.

The scumbag single neck tattoo on its own is just ridiculous.

However I know people in very high up positions with almost full body suits including full neck tattoos. These body suits have probably cost 50k of their hard earned money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i was considering getting one on my mickey, with the word "beast" spelt out when fully erect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

fryup wrote: »
    i was considering getting one on my mickey, with the word "beast" spelt out when fully erect

But “bat” while flaccid.

I'm not a fan of absolutely covering yourself in tattoos I think it looks ridiculous no harm a few tattoos here and there but a full sleeve is a bit ott if you ask me. I still wouldn't judge someone for having a lot of tattoos just wouldn't be my personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Neither myself nor any of my friends that I can think of have any tattoos, which is probably unusual these days. I see some really awful ones in the gym though. I always thought they looked way better on darker skinned people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

This fella said it better than I ever could: "They all look the same"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

GT89 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of absolutely covering yourself in tattoos I think it looks ridiculous no harm a few tattoos here and there but a full sleeve is a bit ott if you ask me. I still wouldn't judge someone for having a lot of tattoos just wouldn't be my personal taste.

Much the same. I absolutely understand getting one or more of meaning, or just decorative but a lot of these full sleeves just strike me as a fad . Seeing women on sites with alot covered in tattoos also is a bit of a turn off for me

Advertisement