25-02-2021, 19:58   #6991
Hibernicis

Desperately sad to have two families impacted by a crash like today's.

I rarely take that route anymore and like many others usually go via the M8/R513/N24. By coincidence I travelled Limerick to Cork yesterday (for valid reasons) and took the N20 for the first time in months as I was starting from South West of Limerick city. I was overtaken on that very stretch before the Charleville Park by a small souped-up car. I was doing 90+kmh at the time; he was travelling an awful lot faster. It's not the first time I've seen crazy overtaking on the stretches on either side of Charleville. Between those stretches and the carry on that goes on on the Mallow road, I really dread that route. The sooner the motorway/DC gets built the better. ( To be clear I'm not in any way passing comment on the circumstances of today's accident, just highlighting the urgency associated with the N20 upgrade/replacement)
Advertisement
25-02-2021, 21:26   #6992
JamesBond2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibernicis View Post
Desperately sad to have two families impacted by a crash like today's.

I rarely take that route anymore and like many others usually go via the M8/R513/N24 By coincidence I travelled Limerick to Cork yesterday (for valid reasons) and took the N20 for the first time in months as I was starting from South West of Limerick city. I was overtaken on that very stretch before the Charleville Park by a small souped-up car. I was doing 90+kmh at the time; he was travelling an awful lot faster. It's not the first time I've seen crazy overtaking on the stretches on either side of Charleville. Between those stretches and the carry on that goes on on the Mallow road, I really dread that route. The sooner the motorway/DC gets built the better. ( To be clear I'm not in any way passing comment on the circumstances of today's accident, just highlighting the urgency associated with the N20 upgrade/replacement)

WHAT I HATE ABOUT THAT ROUTE IS THat route is the quarry section, never know who is going around the bend on top of you & always some gob****e driving up ur arse wanting to go faster.
25-02-2021, 22:36   #6993
Cork Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond2010 View Post
WHAT I HATE ABOUT THAT ROUTE IS THat route is the quarry section, never know who is going around the bend on top of you & always some gob****e driving up ur arse wanting to go faster.
Ballybeg bends where the go safe van do be?
Thanks from:
26-02-2021, 09:10   #6994
martiin

467 pages thread and what are conclusions? Would they gonna build it or not? I think personally it wont happen for next 15 years It might be good idea to split that project in few shorter pieces. It might be better to build just 3 motorway quality bypasses for Mallow, Buttevant and Charleville instead of full road if there is no funding currently in the budget. And after while, these bypasses can be connected when funds will be available. It is only my thinking...
26-02-2021, 09:29   #6995
KrisW1001

To summarise: yes, they are going to build it.

Nothing much visible is happening right now that the first public consultation is coming to an end, but as the title says, the preferred route will be announced in a few months. After that it's planning, tender and finally construction.

Expected start is 2023/2024 at the earliest.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-02-2021, 10:03   #6996
Bass Reeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiin View Post
467 pages thread and what are conclusions? Would they gonna build it or not? I think personally it wont happen for next 15 years It might be good idea to split that project in few shorter pieces. It might be better to build just 3 motorway quality bypasses for Mallow, Buttevant and Charleville instead of full road if there is no funding currently in the budget. And after while, these bypasses can be connected when funds will be available. It is only my thinking...
Mallow is not a huge issue neither is Buttervant except for Cahirmee fair. It's the road itself. It actually the slightly better bits where the accidents happen as after being stuck behind a car or lorry for 5-10 minutes sometimes a chance. Really the worst if it is the Ballybeg bends, the lane and a half after mallow and Croom to Charlesville in that order.

I expect that we will see it build by 2030 maybe 2-3 years earlier. There is a lot of anger out there over it. That why the proposal of the Taking it via Tipp or meeting the Cork Dublin motorway was met with such anger
(3) thanks from:
26-02-2021, 10:17   #6997
JamesBond2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Trucker View Post
Ballybeg bends where the go safe van do be?

ya where ''Glenstone Quarries' is that stretch along there that bends ,havent been down there in few years though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion