Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Desperately sad to have two families impacted by a crash like today's.

I rarely take that route anymore and like many others usually go via the M8/R513/N24 By coincidence I travelled Limerick to Cork yesterday (for valid reasons) and took the N20 for the first time in months as I was starting from South West of Limerick city. I was overtaken on that very stretch before the Charleville Park by a small souped-up car. I was doing 90+kmh at the time; he was travelling an awful lot faster. It's not the first time I've seen crazy overtaking on the stretches on either side of Charleville. Between those stretches and the carry on that goes on on the Mallow road, I really dread that route. The sooner the motorway/DC gets built the better. ( To be clear I'm not in any way passing comment on the circumstances of today's accident, just highlighting the urgency associated with the N20 upgrade/replacement)

WHAT I HATE ABOUT THAT ROUTE IS THat route is the quarry section, never know who is going around the bend on top of you & always some gob****e driving up ur arse wanting to go faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

WHAT I HATE ABOUT THAT ROUTE IS THat route is the quarry section, never know who is going around the bend on top of you & always some gob****e driving up ur arse wanting to go faster.

Ballybeg bends where the go safe van do be?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martiin

467 pages thread and what are conclusions? Would they gonna build it or not? I think personally it wont happen for next 15 years :( It might be good idea to split that project in few shorter pieces. It might be better to build just 3 motorway quality bypasses for Mallow, Buttevant and Charleville instead of full road if there is no funding currently in the budget. And after while, these bypasses can be connected when funds will be available. It is only my thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

To summarise: yes, they are going to build it.

Nothing much visible is happening right now that the first public consultation is coming to an end, but as the title says, the preferred route will be announced in a few months. After that it's planning, tender and finally construction.

Expected start is 2023/2024 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

martiin wrote: »
    467 pages thread and what are conclusions? Would they gonna build it or not? I think personally it wont happen for next 15 years :( It might be good idea to split that project in few shorter pieces. It might be better to build just 3 motorway quality bypasses for Mallow, Buttevant and Charleville instead of full road if there is no funding currently in the budget. And after while, these bypasses can be connected when funds will be available. It is only my thinking...

Mallow is not a huge issue neither is Buttervant except for Cahirmee fair. It's the road itself. It actually the slightly better bits where the accidents happen as after being stuck behind a car or lorry for 5-10 minutes sometimes a chance. Really the worst if it is the Ballybeg bends, the lane and a half after mallow and Croom to Charlesville in that order.

I expect that we will see it build by 2030 maybe 2-3 years earlier. There is a lot of anger out there over it. That why the proposal of the Taking it via Tipp or meeting the Cork Dublin motorway was met with such anger

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Ballybeg bends where the go safe van do be?

ya where ''Glenstone Quarries' is that stretch along there that bends ,havent been down there in few years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/m20-motorway-bill-careers-more-than-1bn-off-track-2fqqhcbwd

Eamon Ryan now saying project could cost up to €3 billion!! He says the money should be spent on investing in Limerick and Cork cities rather than the connecting of them!

Paywall article unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/m20-motorway-bill-careers-more-than-1bn-off-track-2fqqhcbwd

Eamon Ryan now saying project could cost up to €3 billion!! He says the money should be spent on investing in Limerick and Cork cities rather than the connecting of them!

Yikes. That is quite the jump. And the final figure will be higher again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I’m going to start a thread on this whole topic later. The prices being thrown out for some schemes at the minute is scandalous

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

ongarboy wrote: »

That muppet should be made drive the length of it early on a dreary Tuesday morning in December.... Then tell us how he got on coming through the Mallow roundabouts, Ballybeg bends, Traffic in Buttevant and Charleville, How he got held up by Tommy on his 590 Massey doing 25mph beyond Rourkes Cross with a stream of traffic behind him, then the crap narrow section before he got onto the Croom bypass and tell us how it's acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/debateRecord/joint_committee_on_transport_and_communications_networks/2021-03-09/debate/mul@/main.pdf

Full debate with Eamon Ryan here.

I have only skimmed through it but it is what is expected from him.

€3bn for this is nuts. That’s nearly €40m per km of which 15km of the upgrade is planned online. It’s a higher per km cost than the Galway bypass which is suburban (higher land costs) and includes 2 tunnels and a viaduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Someone tell him it's not about the Cities, it's about the hinterland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

He should be campaigning against the M11 and M4 upgrades instead of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

marno21 wrote: »
    https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/debateRecord/joint_committee_on_transport_and_communications_networks/2021-03-09/debate/mul@/main.pdf

€3bn for this is nuts. That’s nearly €40m per km of which 15km of the upgrade is planned online. It’s a higher per km cost than the Galway bypass which is suburban (higher land costs) and includes 2 tunnels and a viaduct.

He only looking for an excuse to kick the can down the road. He full of hot air. He is basically going to try to push through a rail solution. The road will still have to be upgraded and the f@@king trains will be empty as they will be from city center to city center.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭gifted

He only looking for an excuse to kick the can down the road. He full of hot air. He is basically going to try to push through a rail solution. The road will still have to be upgraded and the f@@king trains will be empty as they will be from city center to city center.

Problem with this minister for wolves is that he learned a harsh lesson the last time he was in government. He's more ruthless this time around and he won't stop until he gets his way.
    He doesn't give two ****es about the government, his partners in government or anything else except his own way.
    Leo & Miheal could do anything they want with the country and send it down the drain but he won't care as long as he gets his way before they're back out on their asses again.
    Dogs on the street know the M20 has to be built because of the number of deaths on it but he'll stop it no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

True, Mr Ryan got stung by the out-manouvering done by Willie O'Dea and others about his daft proposal for Myross. He has it in his head that the "best" solutions for the south west is a rail link for the city centres. Given the loss of face over Myross, he won't loose again and won't allow a road to be built.

As someone who uses that road a couple of times a year, I don't look forward to it. I head to Mallow regularly enough and it has often been bumper to bumper going at 60kph to 70kph from Mallow to Blackpool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

gifted wrote: »
    Problem with this minister for wolves is that he learned a harsh lesson the last time he was in government. He's more ruthless this time around and he won't stop until he gets his way.
    He doesn't give two ****es about the government, his partners in government or anything else except his own way.
    Leo & Miheal could do anything they want with the country and send it down the drain but he won't care as long as he gets his way before they're back out on their asses again.
    Dogs on the street know the M20 has to be built because of the number of deaths on it but he'll stop it no matter what.
    Did you miss the recent Coonagh to Knockalisheen debacle in Limerick where he got his arse handed to him by his coalition partners? He's all huff and puff, but it's already been shown that he'll do what he's told when push comes to shove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

marno21 wrote: »

Makes for very difficult and disappointing reading. The man is all over the place with his aspirational and anecdotal claptrap. He appears to have views and opinions on everything, and none of the substantiated by facts or expert opinion. The M20 was raised a number of times and despite the Chairman's best efforts to pin Ryan down, the subtext is quite clear, Ryan's arrogant and delusional view is that little bypasses for Mallow, Buttevant and Charleville is what it is going to be. This nugget, when he was asked about the need for the M20, stood out for me:
    Deputy Eamon Ryan: I will make one last point if I can. This is interesting because it is the core of the debate. One of the reasons Dublin has grown so much is because of the motorway network. What it tends to do is bring everything back to the centre. If we have a western corridor motorway from top to bottom, my fear for Limerick is that investment would head to Cork or to Galway.

So there you have it, the traffic that bravely struggles from Cork to Limerick and back on the current boreen will apparantly cease in the event of the cities being linked by a motorway and Limerick will be left with tumbleweed rolling down O'Connell Street, up William street and out onto the Childers Road.

Not to mention his response when Michael Lowery asked abut the possibility of prioritising the Tipp town section of the N24 upgrade in order to provide a much needed bypass
    Deputy Eamon Ryan: The first coach service in this country was run by Bianconi from Clonmel to Limerick, I understand. He took a strange route, through the caravanserai in Tipperary via Tipperary town en route to Limerick. No one knows why he took that route; he should have gone via Bansha. My family was involved in looking after the horses at the first stopping post, so my family history includes the Cahir to Limerick road. I hope that bias does not influence my decisions. It is an example of where we should prioritise our towns first strategy.

WTF ? He trots out more of this drivel later talking about his "family setting off from the Caravansary in the Glen of Aherlow and ending up in Limerick city in the Glentworth Hotel" It is frighteningly like listening to CJH when he was visiting some remote part of the country waxing lyrical about his intimate family links with whatever townland he happened to be in.

And when given the opportunity to present facts with attributable sources he behaves like a one term County Councillor:
    Deputy Eamon Ryan: Yes, but none of the projects in the NDP had a price on them. The price of the Limerick to Cork motorway would be €2 billion to €3 billion.
    Chairman: I do not think so.
    Deputy Eamon Ryan: That is what the price would be.
    Chairman: It would be €1 billion.
    Deputy Eamon Ryan: No.
    Chairman: We can differ on that.
    Deputy Eamon Ryan: That is what I am told.
    Chairman: That is the first I have heard of that. We are being told €1 billion.

All we can hope for is that Kieran O'Donnell (the Chairman) reads between the lines on this and has the big guns (Martin, McGrath and Coveney in particular) lined up and ready for the battle that lies ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It doesn't matter, by the time this gets to important decision making stage Ryan won't be Transport Minister, probably won't be part of government and may not even be a TD. The preferred route will get published but it will likely include upgrades to the rail line via LJ. The consultant appointments are already made and they can bring the project forward through early design and planning and there is little Ryan can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

The whole thing shows you why our shorter-term political cycle is mismatched with our larger infrastructure needs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The whole thing shows you why our shorter-term political cycle is mismatched with our larger infrastructure needs.

I think it is more that our large infrastructure implementation is unsuited to our political system

Why does it take many years to decide to investigate the need for some infrastructure like a motorway, then try to select a route and after much public consultation then choose the actual route, then get the various environmental studies done, get planning, qualify contractors, select contractors - and then when all this is done, actually start the motors of the diggers, bulldozers and lorries to start moving soil.

Surely a lot of these things can be done much quicker. The M20 had been ready to roll a decade ago and now it is back to the start with the MoT calling into question its very need to be done at all.

Quoting €3 billion is a nonsense figure just to make the (wrong) point that it would be cheaper to build a high speed rail link instead. There is nothing wrong with the current Limerick-Limerick Junction-Cork alignment that double tracking and sorting LJ station out would not improve the link, plus of course a few trains travelling on it.

Maybe it is not the political cycle that is at fault, but the politicians we choose to implement the infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

He only looking for an excuse to kick the can down the road.
    Correct. He's at the same stunt on the Western Rail Corridor north of Athenry. Those in favour of it wanted an independent study done. That wasn't enough, but the figures had to be analysed by another body.

And despite both of those coming out against building it, Ryan goes no, no, no, we need another review of Rail freight in the whole of Ireland taking the WRC into account.

For Ryan transport is walk/cycle/rail. That's it. Everyone else can feck off. And don't talk to me about buses - sure they're not real public transport.

There was a reason the Greens weren't given the Transport ministry the first time around - because Fianna Fail knew that they'd dick around with the roads programme. This time, Michael was so desperate to get into power, and Leo to stay in power, that the Greens got what they wanted.

The shenanigans he is at now doesn't surprise. The Greens (not just Ryan) are trying to fight tooth and nail to ensure that the M20 does not get built.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

Here Here well said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

This is deflection from Ryan. Right now, there's a lot of internal dissent inside the Green Party over the government's support for the Canada-EU Trade Agreement (CETA, which is apparently the latest "Big Evil" among the more hardline members of the GP). So, in order to show that he hasn't sold out, he's out in the Dáil taking a hard-line position against a motorway.

Rail cannot replace the road. It can remove car-commuters from the two urban ends of the corridor, but it cannot replace the road in the places where a new road is most needed: the dangerous, under-capacity rural sections in North Cork and South Limerick.

KrisW1001 wrote: »
    Rail cannot replace the road. It can remove car-commuters from the two urban ends of the corridor, but it cannot replace the road in the places where a new road is most needed: the dangerous, under-capacity rural sections in North Cork and South Limerick.
    I've always thought that this idea that you have to build the road in one whole section, or not at all, was disingenous bullsh1t, and Ryan isn't the first to try it (IIRC Varadkar did the same when he was in transport).

You could, at the very least, break it into two halves - Patrickswell/Croom to Mallow, and Mallow to Blarney. I'd be less bothered about the southern half, but the northern half is absolutely not up for discussion, and this bullsh1t about a biteen of a bypass here and there is infuriating.

Build the motorway Eamon, and besides the form of transport that you hate - cars (even though you drive an ICE yourself) - this road can also very efficiently use the form of public transport that you don't like either, known as buses. Raheen church to Blarney will take less than an hour on a bus using a motorway.

One only has to look at the (pre-pandemic) success of the various bus companies using the Inter-City motorways to know how good it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

serfboard wrote: »
    I've always thought that this idea that you have to build the road in one whole section, or not at all, was disingenous bullsh1t, and Ryan isn't the first to try it (IIRC Varadkar did the same when he was in transport).

You could, at the very least, break it into two halves - Patrickswell/Croom to Mallow, and Mallow to Blarney. I'd be less bothered about the southern half, but the northern half is absolutely not up for discussion, and this bullsh1t about a biteen of a bypass here and there is infuriating.

Build the motorway Eamon, and besides the form of transport that you hate - cars (even though you drive an ICE yourself) - this road can also very efficiently use the form of public transport that you don't like either, known as buses. Raheen church to Blarney will take less than an hour on a bus using a motorway.

One only has to look at the (pre-pandemic) success of the various bus companies using the Inter-City motorways to know how good it can be.
    It's the southern part carries the bulk of the traffic. Mallow to Blarney is a short section, you should be talking Patrickswell to south of Charleville and from there to Mallow as seperate sections .

Isambard wrote: »
    It's the southern part carries the bulk of the traffic. Mallow to Blarney is a short section, you should be talking Patrickswell to south of Charleville and from there to Mallow as seperate sections .
    Well Patrickswell to Blarney is 78km which could be divided into three 26km sections - Patrickswell to Charleville, Charleville to Mallow and Mallow to Blarney.

So one €3 billion project becomes three €1 billion projects - much cheaper!

In reality (away from Ryan's ridiculous figures), the northern and southern sections would be cheaper, due to (some) online upgrades. The middle part is where the most offline builds are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Isambard wrote: »

I would say in order to prescedence:

1. Mallow to Charleville
    2. Cork to Mallow
    3. Charleville to Patrickswell

The Charleville to Patrickswell section isn’t bad given traffic levels and half of it is the Croom bypass which isn’t old.

Cork to Mallow is critically over capacity and is I think the most frustrating piece of tarmac in the country.

The construction of this motorway will come in at around €700-900m. I see absolutely no reason why it would be more and I am happy to be challenged on this. The likely routing of this project includes around 15km of online upgrade. It may cost €2bn if all ancilliary costs are included and the Cork North Ring Road + rail upgrade are included.

The N22 Macroom bypass through tricky terrain with several large river bridges is coming in at €8m/km. The N4 scheme in Sligo is coming in at ~€5m/km. The N5 project in Mayo is coming in at €121m for 20km of DC, 5km of SC and 2km of SC upgrade north of Westport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

I get the feeling that the Minister is being a bit creative with the price. Possibly including the rail line via patrickswell and any CPOs and connections to Colbert in the 3bn quoted.

Advertisement