Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair V Aer Lingus

Options
  • 25-10-2020 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

How much extra would you be prepared to pay to fly with Aer Lingus instead of a Ryanair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

In general nothing, both airlines messed people around over refunds.

Other than if Aer Lingus was cheaper (sometimes is) I'd only choose Aer Lingus over Ryanair if going to a destination such as Paris where FR don't fly into the main airport. If going to the UK Ryanair tend to fly larger aircraft which is better for hand luggage and also will fly in worse weather which is significant if you are travelling for a specific event eg a match or a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

There is no difference between them now service wise. Just pick the most convenient for the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Caranica wrote: »
    In general nothing, both airlines messed people around over refunds.

Other than if Aer Lingus was cheaper (sometimes is) I'd only choose Aer Lingus over Ryanair if going to a destination such as Paris where FR don't fly into the main airport. If going to the UK Ryanair tend to fly larger aircraft which is better for hand luggage and also will fly in worse weather which is significant if you are travelling for a specific event eg a match or a show.

The small aircraft tend to be Aer Lingus liveried panes operated by other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I Wouldn’t, Ryanair only fly short haul so makes no difference.

Ryanair have more planes than Aer Lingus so if a plane breaks there’s a better chance ig you getting out it getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

They screwed me over this year so trying to avoid them but Aer Lingus is €100 more expensive for where I want to go next year and I’m not sure I can do that. They are offering free flight change though so maybe I should see it as like an insurance policy paying the extra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    The small aircraft tend to be Aer Lingus liveried panes operated by other companies.

True but my point was if I choose to go to Bristol...I have a choice between Aer Lingus regional and Ryanair. As happened to me, I had sports tickets, major storm hit. Aer Lingus pulled their flights, Ryanair flew. I was flying out with Ryanair and home with Aer Lingus so I actually got to go to the game. Had the flights been the other way round I wouldn't have left Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Aer Lingus are offering refund airline vouchers of 5 years. Ryanair are offering them up to one year only.

I had a look at Alicante for next September. On certain days Aer Lingus are €30 per flight more expensive than Ryanair. For the two of us this would add €120 to the cost approx. However Aer Lingus have better flight times.

I have been shafted by Ryanair this year. I have been a customer of theirs for many years. Still not sorted. I will probably fly Aer Lingus if I can get return flights for two people up to €60 or so more expensive than Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Exactly what we need, a question which has been asked at least 1,000,000 times before on here..........zzzzzzzz

Aer Lingus are offering refund airline vouchers of 5 years. Ryanair are offering them up to one year only.

I had a look at Alicante for next September. On certain days Aer Lingus are €30 per flight more expensive than Ryanair. For the two of us this would add €120 to the cost approx. However Aer Lingus have better flight times.

I have been shafted by Ryanair this year. I have been a customer of theirs for many years. Still not sorted. I will probably fly Aer Lingus if I can get return flights for two people up to €60 or so more expensive than Ryanair.

I’m looking at September too. Aer Lingus are €30 more going out but it’s €60 coming home and I’m not sure I can do that

There’s just so much more lflexibility with Aer Lingus I think it’s the way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I don't think most people give a crap. They will pick the cheapest and most convenient flight. As Michael O'Leary said years ago...it should be like taking a bus. No frills.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Gael23 wrote: »
    How much extra would you be prepared to pay to fly with Aer Lingus instead of a Ryanair?

Nothing, they are very similar levels of service.

I pick the carrier based on price/flight times/destination.

Advertisement