Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three to buy O2 Ireland for €780 million

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭clohamon

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The licence is one thing, the market reality is that the other networks have growing 4G coverage.
    That's the ComReg argument; it might turn out to be true, but the licence conditions encourage operators to increase profits by reducing the size/cost of their networks, not by introducing new technology.

I think people in rural areas generally use whichever operator has the best voice service in the area that they most need it. Data speed comes after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'm not so sure about that tbh. With smartphones data is more important than voice.

Many people barely use their phones for voice these days.

The paradigm has shifted from data being an add-on on a phone to voice being an app on a smart device.

It's not even very easy to buy a non smartphone anymore. I had terrible difficulty getting one for an elderly relative and she has gone for a HTC instead.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Many people barely use their phones for voice these days.

And many people's livelihoods are completely and utterly dependent on a mobile voice network.

The bizarre idea that voice is unimportant seems to be an unfortunately corollary to the idea that mobile data is broadband. Mobile voice is business-critical; mobile data is extremely useful (and can be business-critical); mobile broadband is an oxymoron.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

oscarBravo wrote: »
    And many people's livelihoods are completely and utterly dependent on a mobile voice network.

The bizarre idea that voice is unimportant seems to be an unfortunately corollary to the idea that mobile data is broadband. Mobile voice is business-critical; mobile data is extremely useful (and can be business-critical); mobile broadband is an oxymoron.

Personally if I had to choose between voice service only or data service only, I would most likely go for the later. Not that I don't need voice at all, but losing data would be more of an annoyance to me (and a good bit of my voice calls and text messages are going through the data network anyway).

If course different people have a different use of their phone, but there is a decent chunk of customers (but probably not a majority) for whom data is the most important service.

oscarBravo wrote: »

It might well be, but if you've no data and other networks do, a huge % of customers will vote with their feet.

You might as well just not have a smartphone without a data connection (and a fast one at that)

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The point being debated was this one:
    clohamon wrote: »
    I think people in rural areas generally use whichever operator has the best voice service in the area that they most need it. Data speed comes after that.
    If your business depends on people being able to call you while you're on the road, then data is a distant second to reliable voice coverage; and remember, if a network doesn't have voice coverage in an area, it most definitely doesn't have data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

They have a fairly huge contract with Nokia to integrate the 2G and 3G assets into a single network and also upgrade them.

So I'm guessing there's a fair bit of work going on. It's not just going to be roaming.

yuloni wrote: »

I don't think just opening Three's 4G network to O2 customers will work. On Threee 4G in Dublin City centre, you'd be very happy to get 10mpbs download speeds, and it is often closer to 5. Add O2 customers to this, and you might not even get 3G speeds. They really need O2's network to become 4G enabled before they offer 4G to everyone.

Also, in a number of areas (I sometimes see it in Dublin), they have already opened O2's 2G network for Three customers. The phone will display "3." Instead of "3" when connected to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

o2 have been saying June for their 4G service, in the several hundred emails/SMSs sent to customers!

• Advertisement

I would think so as well - especially since their original 4G licence didn't allow them to use lower frequencies which work much better for indoor coverage (I can see this in my office block in Dublin city centre - 4G coverage is very fine in front of the building - but is a but of a hit an miss inside, while there is no issue with 3G).

I think they are concentrating their efforts into leveraging the 4G infrastructure O2 was ready to launch before the buyout, which is much better than what Three would ever have been able to deliver with their original network.

And since it would look bad to give it to O2 customers only (giving better service to customer of the sister company that is bound to disappear), they have to wait until the networks are merged before they start using O2's capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Are they not completely rebranding O2 as 3? I was under the impression they were and O2 would disappear. But the Waterford O2 store closed to be refit, which I assumed would include rebranding. But new O2 signs were up there today.

Kahless wrote: »
    Are they not completely rebranding O2 as 3? I was under the impression they were and O2 would disappear. But the Waterford O2 store closed to be refit, which I assumed would include rebranding. But new O2 signs were up there today.

They did say the O2 brand would disappear. I guess it is difficult for them to phase it out before the 2 networks are actually merged, but it is strange alright to refurbish a shop with the O2 branding at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They are completely rebranding. O2 web site will be gone soon.

C.f. UPC took ages to rebrand NTL & Chorus.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

They already have for me, I'm with 3 but can connect to 3. (which is O2 by process of elimination on a network search). I can connect to Vodafone's 2G and O2's 2G networks. Only get 3G & 4G with 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

Press release...err news item sorry.

O2 customers to get 4G from June as Three rebrand completes

http://www.techcentral.ie/o2-customers-get-4g-june-three-rebrand-completes/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

bealtine wrote: »
    Press release...err news item sorry.

O2 customers to get 4G from June as Three rebrand completes

http://www.techcentral.ie/o2-customers-get-4g-june-three-rebrand-completes/

It will be €4.99 from July 1st for billpay and payg though

http://www.three.ie/terms-conditions/promotions/4g-access-promotional-offer/

O2 has now gone for good from Ireland – so what’s the deal for all its customers?

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/o2-rebranded-three-1970254-Mar2015/

• Advertisement

bealtine wrote: »
    O2 has now gone for good from Ireland – so what’s the deal for all its customers?

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/o2-rebranded-three-1970254-Mar2015/

"O2 MOBILE PHONE customers can eventually look forward to higher data speeds after all their accounts were transferred yesterday to new owner Three!"

Free advertisement from thejournal.ie? :-)

If I was an O2 customer I wouldn't hold my breath. I made the move from O2 3G to Three 4G a few months ago and while peak speeds on speedtest.net are higher, the average speed isn't really better and the quality of service is much less consistent.

Stayed with Three because the particular plan is much cheaper for my needs - but wouldn't have been happy if I had kept the O2 pricing for that service.

Bob24 wrote: »

Free advertisement from thejournal.ie? :-)

This is what passes for journalism these days

The full Commission Decision (v.long pdf) on this merger, including the market remedies, was published just before Christmas.

There was a discussion of it at BEREC (the regulators' association) by one of the Commission's economists* (15 mins long, starts at 2 mins). The slideshow of that presentation is available here.

The view expressed in the presentation was that O2/Three's prices would increase by 5-8% in the post paid sector, as a result of the merger, and that prices overall in that sector would also increase by 4-6%.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Quality of managing the network and honesty of marketing etc ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Three UK have also bought O2

No surprise there then, it's been on the market for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Pete69

Both networks are a complete shambles now, as they try to consolidate them and rollout 4G all at once for as little investment as possible. Vodafone must be loving this.

Pete69 wrote: »
    Both networks are a complete shambles now, as they try to consolidate them and rollout 4G all at once for as little investment as possible. Vodafone must be loving this.

Very hard to see how the Hutchison 3g licences could be compliant. Comreg seems to have adopted new conditions for the licences.

https://www.comreg.ie/media/dlm_uploads/2016/12/ComReg-16113.pdf
    9. The current Drive Test is designed to give an indication of the MNOs performance in relation to individual licence conditions during the period that the route is driven. Furthermore, the Drive Test does not measure end user experience as it does not assess how well each MNO has integrated its various technology platforms which as the end users device roams between them strongly influences the perceived end user experience.

10. It is noted that due to differences in both handsets and SIM (“Subscriber Identity Module”) provisioning, not all end users have the ability to access each of the MNOs technologies or bands.

https://twitter.com/irelandoffline/status/834465266218258432

Advertisement