Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

St. Patricks Navan Rd Home - contact

• 31-03-2009 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I’m trying to contact a Resident or Worker who was in the St. Patricks Navan Rd Home between 1966 and 1969, if you are such a person please PM me with details.

This request is in relation to the welfare of a baby who was there at this time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mary1963

HI:confused:
    Im only new to this site as im at to being researching tryin to find my sons graveside???? i gave birth to him in st patricks home navan rd 4th march 1968 he was admitted to cherry orchard hospital on 11th april 1968, he was admitted wit gastric i wasnt allowed see him coz once you were in the home you couldnt leave til your time was up my son was in hospital for 3 weeks as far as i know i later found out he had died from a former resident as she was only coming from his burial i had askd her wer she was she then told me at my son,s funeral i was devastated didnt knw wat to do or wat i was allowed to do .
    I was then told he had died from gastro -enteritis was told tat he was in Heaven and nothing else bak then you couldnt question things you wer told but i have never forgotten bout him and always wished i would get closure by findin his graveside i have contacted all of the graveyards around the local area to st patricks home they have no records of my son iv contacted park house but was transfered to hse nexus buildin blanchardstown they have no recalection of wer he could be buried iv also contactd cherry orchard and trinity college, college of surgeons and at this stage iv hit a brick wall will get bak on to social worker out of hse but if any body could help me or point me in a new direction i would b very greatful

Mary O C

I’m trying to contact a Resident or Worker who was in the St. Patricks Navan Rd Home between 1966 and 1969, if you are such a person please PM me with details.

I was in st patricks home from late 1967 til may 1968 ? if i could be of any help to you pm me .

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

mary1963 wrote: »
    Im only new to this site as im at to being researching tryin to find my sons graveside???? i gave birth to him in st patricks home navan rd 4th march 1968 he was admitted to cherry orchard hospital on 11th april 1968, he was admitted wit gastric i wasnt allowed see him coz once you were in the home you couldnt leave til your time was up my son was in hospital for 3 weeks as far as i know i later found out he had died from a former resident as she was only coming from his burial i had askd her wer she was she then told me at my son,s funeral i was devastated didnt knw wat to do or wat i was allowed to do .
    I was then told he had died from gastro -enteritis was told tat he was in Heaven and nothing else bak then you couldnt question things you wer told but i have never forgotten bout him and always wished i would get closure by findin his graveside i have contacted all of the graveyards around the local area to st patricks home they have no records of my son iv contacted park house but was transfered to hse nexus buildin blanchardstown they have no recalection of wer he could be buried iv also contactd cherry orchard and trinity college, college of surgeons and at this stage iv hit a brick wall will get bak on to social worker out of hse but if any body could help me or point me in a new direction i would b very greatful

Mary O C

Hi Mary,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I have no real help as such, I was just wondering if you had a copy of his death cert or if you have requested a copy of his medical records under the freedom of information from the hospital. I'm not sure if they would help but just to have some sort of paper trail to start with...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭trixy

Hi Mary, so sorry to read your story . I would definitely search for death cert, I have been lied to by social workers numerous times in my search . I have also been in contact with adopted people on other forums where they were lied to also. I am not stating what happened to your son didn't happen but with no proof and given the run around I think your search will continue without any document or papers , I do hope you get some resolution and peace of mind

thanks for the reply seems as there is alot of secrets but i wont stop til i get closure my daughter is helpin me in this search there is so many questions tat they cant answer a few of the nuns have passed on now i do feel like i keep crashin into a brick wall so thanks for your time mary ..

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply i have only recently got my hands on the death cert and birth cert have bein onto social worker numerous times she has my files and said she would keep lookin but it doesnt seem to b lookin good its like he has just vanished but she said she would leave it for a few weeks and then if she doesnt get anywer she would forward my files on to me but i would appreciate all the help i could get of anyone so if anyone hears anything it b much appreciated

thanks again trixy

all i would like to knw is where could my baby be buried ?????:(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭trixy

Hi Mary I believe it's your right to know where he is buried . My own journey though not finished has thought me secrets and lies truly affect people's lives . If we lived in a country with open files we could deal with the pain and truth and move on to some degree , unfortunately that is not the case . I don't often write on boards but your story is very sad and reflects the wrongs of the current law. I wish you all the best and hope one day you get to visit where your angel is now asleep

Thanks again , it does help to know tat people support you through bad times and try to help in any way they can so thanks again hopefully i get a happy ending x

• Registered Users Posts: 1 acana

mary1963 wrote: »

Mary O C

Hi Mary, I am very sorry to hear about the death of your baby boy and hope you will be able to trace his grave. I would suggest that you contact Glasnevin Cemetery as many babies were buried in the Holy Angels Plot there and am also also aware that babies from St Patricks were buried there. All you need is his date of birth and your own name, they are very helpfull and deal with many similar enquiries every day. Also, you could contact A Little Lifetime Foundation who can also offer help in your situation. Check out their website. Good LUCK in your search for your son. A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mary conyard

my new thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lostkate

hi all, im VERY new to all of this, i only found out yesterday that my mother was in this home in 1981/1982 having being pregnant with me. ive been asking her all my life as to who my father is and she wouldn't tell me, i snapped the other night and begged her to tell me. im afraid to ask her about her time in this home and what she must have went through. ive no one to talk to about this and would love if someone could shed some light on it for me. also im trying to trace my godmother who was in the home at the same time her name is Margret power ?? please somone please shed some light in this place in the 80's

very lost kate

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaryHenry

I was in St Pats home Navan rd in 1978 i found my time their lovely and i made great friends it was the year johnny logan won the eurovision. Life was not that hard their we had our jobs to do, the same as anyone else. It was nothing like the Magdeline Laundries. Sr Ainne always came to visit me it was her that found the place for me when my mother did not no what to do. i spent 6 months their and gave birth to a baby boy. Hope this puts your mind at rest .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, I was adopted thru St. Patricks home in early 1971- I was born May '70.
    My adoptive mother died last Dec and tonight I was getting things from her house before it is sold and found a lot of papers in reference to my adoption.
    I found it quite emotional and there are several letters from the adoption agency/ sister at St. Patricks & St Louise adoption agency which have upset me a bit, e.g- "In the near future the Placement Committee of the Society will select a child. You can then call to the home to see the child selected" and at a later date - "You will be glad to know we have selected a little girl for you, born May 1970. We would like you to come for her on Saturday morning 10 - 12 o'clock if possible. Kindly take one complete outfit when coming : vest, plastic pants, frilly pants, napkins, slip, and frock size i4, and pram suit and rug. You may also select a christian name for the baby"

I had been christened 9 months previously on 16th May in Navan Road church. A different name my b-mam must have given me.

I was quite small when born, perhaps premature?

Does anyone know if you can still go to the Irish Life Mall and find your 'real' birth cert? And if anyone knows of me from there, or has any info, please get in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kerryweddings

Hello there. New to this forum. I am searching for my brother who was born in St Patricks Home Navan Road in the early 60's possibly...certainly before 1966. My mother Mary named him Gerald Arthur and her maiden name was Devereaux. She cannot remember the Date of Birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rinsjwind

Hi Kerryweddings

Get on to the AAI (01-2309300) and check if he was actually adopted in Ireland (mid 60's was the height of the transatlantic adoptions and St Pats was heavily involved in that) and, if he was adopted here, which agency he was adopted thru. AAI will also give you details about their contact register, contact details for whichever agency it was and advice on how the tracing process works ( which is, unfortunately, in sh1te due to the myriad problems discussed at length on this and other sites)

You could have a look at the trace guides (see stickys) but without even an accurate date of birth you're probably best to try the "proper" channels first. At worst you can confirm his date of birth and other details and you never know, he might already be registered somewhere as looking for you guys!

Good luck

Rins

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kerryweddings

Thanks for your help rins. Will try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Gonzp

Hi,

I have just found out that I was born here because I am getting married soon and need my baptismal certificate. I was baptised in a little church beside the home, or attached to it. Does anyone here know who I could contact about getting my baptism cert...

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LawU

Hi

Just wondering if you ever got closer to any answers about your baby son? Very touched by your story as a mam I can only imagine how u feel x

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mfarr3ll

MaryHenry wrote: »
    I was in St Pats home Navan rd in 1978 i found my time their lovely and i made great friends it was the year johnny logan won the eurovision. Life was not that hard their we had our jobs to do, the same as anyone else. It was nothing like the Magdeline Laundries. Sr Ainne always came to visit me it was her that found the place for me when my mother did not no what to do. i spent 6 months their and gave birth to a baby boy. Hope this puts your mind at rest .

hi do you remember a margaret farrell who gave birth to christina farrell ? Oh by the way jonny won the euro vision in 1980 first then 87

zef wrote: »
    Hi, I was adopted thru St. Patricks home in early 1971- I was born May '70.
    My adoptive mother died last Dec and tonight I was getting things from her house before it is sold and found a lot of papers in reference to my adoption.
    I found it quite emotional and there are several letters from the adoption agency/ sister at St. Patricks & St Louise adoption agency which have upset me a bit, e.g- "In the near future the Placement Committee of the Society will select a child. You can then call to the home to see the child selected" and at a later date - "You will be glad to know we have selected a little girl for you, born May 1970. We would like you to come for her on Saturday morning 10 - 12 o'clock if possible. Kindly take one complete outfit when coming : vest, plastic pants, frilly pants, napkins, slip, and frock size i4, and pram suit and rug. You may also select a christian name for the baby"

I had been christened 9 months previously on 16th May in Navan Road church. A different name my b-mam must have given me.

I was quite small when born, perhaps premature?

Does anyone know if you can still go to the Irish Life Mall and find your 'real' birth cert? And if anyone knows of me from there, or has any info, please get in touch.

Yes u can but it's moved gro office werburgh street up past dublin castle x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Terri Kiernan

Hi Mary
    I too was in Pats my son was born 15th oct 1973. I wish I could say my time there was pleasant, anything but, every day there was a nightmare and all through a very difficult labour I was left alone and repeatedly told when they did enter the room that this was my punishment from god for being a bad girl, My son was taken from the his cot one Saturday morning I never saw him again he was 6 weeks old. I would not sign the papers, but went back for him when he was 3 months old, they threatened me with the high courts the national newspapers etc, years later i discovered from his adoptive cert that he was placed and legally adopted and that is why they treated me with such contempt to cover up their own illegal actions.
    My memories of Pats are hell on earth, but for the inmates some of which helped me so much at that time I think I would have swallowed a bottle of anything just to leave this world. I wish with all my heart you find the answers as Iam only recently speaking out about what happened it is hard to go there in my mind as it upsets me so much and I long to see my son but he does not want any contact , but at least I know he is alive which is something I hope he has a change of heart soon, but I am now making the necessary arrangements through a friend to have everything he could possibly need to know about his family his gene pool, photos of my grandparents both sides his box as I call it is filled with letters too from me so at least I will have peace knowing everything is ready for him or his children .
    Please let me know if you get any answers I would love to gain access to my records, but I have not tried yet, I was in besserro too escaped then got caught in Dublin I had 2 free days never could get out of Pats. My sisters never let me talk about back then like it never happened my father died never knowing and my mother died without me ever confronting her about putting me in there to hide me away. Hope all reading this is safe and have answers everyone deserves to know the truth and above all everyone should know where they came from,
    Terri

Hi Mary
    I too was in Pats my son was born 15th oct 1973. I wish I could say my time there was pleasant, anything but, every day there was a nightmare and all through a very difficult labour I was left alone and repeatedly told when they did enter the room that this was my punishment from god for being a bad girl, My son was taken from the his cot one Saturday morning I never saw him again he was 6 weeks old. I would not sign the papers, but went back for him when he was 3 months old, they threatened me with the high courts the national newspapers etc, years later i discovered from his adoptive cert that he was placed and legally adopted and that is why they treated me with such contempt to cover up their own illegal actions.
    My memories of Pats are hell on earth, but for the inmates some of which helped me so much at that time I think I would have swallowed a bottle of anything just to leave this world. I wish with all my heart you find the answers as Iam only recently speaking out about what happened it is hard to go there in my mind as it upsets me so much and I long to see my son but he does not want any contact , but at least I know he is alive which is something I hope he has a change of heart soon, but I am now making the necessary arrangements through a friend to have everything he could possibly need to know about his family his gene pool, photos of my grandparents both sides his box as I call it is filled with letters too from me so at least I will have peace knowing everything is ready for him or his children .
    Please let me know if you get any answers I would love to gain access to my records, but I have not tried yet, I was in besserro too escaped then got caught in Dublin I had 2 free days never could get out of Pats. My sisters never let me talk about back then like it never happened my father died never knowing and my mother died without me ever confronting her about putting me in there to hide me away. Hope all reading this is safe and have answers everyone deserves to know the truth and above all everyone should know where they came from,
    Terri

Ah Terri that's heart breaking to read. Well I got my original birth cert only last week I went into the gro office and searched my birth date knowing I was born on the north side and when I crossed referenced the address on my birth cert and it was 381 navan road I knew I found me. I've since applied to blanchardstown where st pats records are held for my information under the Freedom of Information Act so hopefully I will get that soon x are u on any of the sites on Facebook like Adoption Rights Alliance there st pats groups and bessboro groups x

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Terri Kiernan

hi Mary
    I have just recently joined Adoption alliance I was not aware of the one for Pats or Bessburo but I will join them many thanks for this. Good luck with your search I hope it goes well for you each day that goes by I fear my son is one of the few whom do not want or need to know anything about their past. I do not know what I can do except to keep hoping if I knew he was truly ok and happy it would mean so so much to me.
    All the best
    Terri

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AnyoneTOO

Hello there. New to this forum. I am searching for my brother who was born in St Patricks Home Navan Road in the early 60's possibly...certainly before 1966. My mother Mary named him Gerald Arthur and her maiden name was Devereaux. She cannot remember the Date of Birth.

A lot more information needed here, in particular date of birth.
    That said I have been looking for my mother for 30 odd years, I was born in 1965 there and she was 16 at the time, she disappeared and has stayed that way since.

AnyoneTOO wrote: »
    A lot more information needed here, in particular date of birth.
    That said I have been looking for my mother for 30 odd years, I was born in 1965 there and she was 16 at the time, she disappeared and has stayed that way since.
    Are u on any of the facebook pages

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AnyoneTOO

Mfarr3ll wrote: »
    Are u on any of the facebook pages

Yes, I am on a couple of them, nothing new shows though.
    In the past I was very active on the yahoo pages and the site which tesco ireland sponsored for a few years. None of these mediums added any information to the stuff I had found from my own paperwork. In fact I would go further to say that I sensed a fatigue and wearyness from the few that were there and sadly they disappeared.
    We did miss out on one thing though, Like the bogs and turf issue, we never had a representitive in the Dail or european parliament to overturn the covering up of even the most recent of TD's!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wonderingwhat

Hi all, I was wondering did anyone know anything that would help me further my search for my half sister who was born in a laundry in Clare, Galway. I don't have a lot to go on, only that she would have been born between 1965-1970, My mum never spoke much about it, she was filled with sadness, which eat her up, she tried blotting it out with drink, and only ever spoke bits about her time in the laundry, I am trying the adoption alliance in Ireland, and I have tried contacting the laundry who say they have no records, any ideas, would be gratefully for. my mum has passed away (10 years ago) and I am desperate for news

Hi all, I was wondering did anyone know anything that would help me further my search for my half sister who was born in a laundry in Clare, Galway. I don't have a lot to go on, only that she would have been born between 1965-1970, My mum never spoke much about it, she was filled with sadness, which eat her up, she tried blotting it out with drink, and only ever spoke bits about her time in the laundry, I am trying the adoption alliance in Ireland, and I have tried contacting the laundry who say they have no records, any ideas, would be gratefully for. my mum has passed away (10 years ago) and I am desperate for news
    I don't really know the anything g about Galway as I was in St pats and St clares but saying that I can tell u what I have done
    Firstly I searched birth in the gro for my year and my dob I found I was the only girl born north dublin on my birth date I requested a copy of that cert on it was an address on the navan rd ...St pats. Because I was in St pats the hse in blanchardstown deal with those files so I wrote to them looking for any info under the Freedom of information acts and data protection acts. I got feck all off suzanne o reilly really even tho I cld hear her flicking through my file! But because I have my birth cert I have widened my search on irishgenealogy.ie and I've ordered two possible birth certs for my birth mother. Do u know anything g dob where she was born who handled her adoption

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wonderingwhat

thank you for that I will try that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

I don't have a lot to go on, only that she would have been born between 1965-1970,

Hi Have at look at www.irishgenealogy.ie and click on civil records. You know the baby would have been registered with your mothers maiden name and you can type in the years. It might give you a few different children depending how common the surname is but it might help you narrow down your search for the babys date of birth. You could order 'research' certs (a copy of a birth cert) and check to see which match your mothers details. You really need a DOB to start a search on your own through the adoption books. Check out the stickies on the forum for searching for a sibling. Best of luck!

Advertisement