Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Shepherd Convent Dunboyne

1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

There are ways and means to finding your son. Look at the tracing guides in the sticky thread at the top of the adoption discussion board. This will give you the necessary tools to find his adoption certificate. That will have his adoptive parents details at time of adoption.

TR1989 wrote: »
    I am 45yrs old now and have kept this information to myself other than my immediate family and feel like just telling people my story now and don't see the point in keeping this secret. i hope my son will contact me --not sure how i would go about trying to find him? i did put my details up on the adoption register but any other help that anyone can offer would be great? i wish all the mothers out there the very best and i am so happy that some have been reunited with their children it that was their wish....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TR1989

many thanks for your help--coming across this forum when just searching Ard Mhuire Dunboyne has given me the motivation to now start searching. Your tracing guides are a great help-i could not remember the Adoption agency --and now i have it and have written to them to get more information and i am going to search for the birth certs.

thanks again for this forum.. and your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Adrienne Murphy

Hi I was in the mother and baby home in Dunboyne from Jan- to June 1987. I am giving evidence at the mother baby inquiry tomorrow, my experience was not a bad one, I felt that we were allowed to come and go. I remember Sister Ann and Sister Cait, I felt they were very kind, the name of the dog was Ivan, I used to take him for a five mile walk everyday. Where I felt was harsh and where I felt I was discriminated was in Holles street. I was spoken down to. I gave my son up for adoption. The day I was leaving the hospital. the nurse dragged his cot down the corridor to the nursery. I still have the sound of it in my head. The home was full when I was there, and it was the support that we gave each other and I still keep in touch with one person. It is like a dream as if it never happened, I do think that in some way I was brain washed to thinking that giving my son up for adoption was the best thing, even signing the adoption papers, was rushed, I had no legal advice, it is only now that I am thinking about that. I would love to hear from anyone that was there the same time as me and your experience. I know I am 7 years late joining the conversation. What is most shocking to me is that the land was owned by the health board and they sold it, I feel the same as you in relation to the hotel, I could not go back there, I think of all the suffering since 1955. The state and society have a lot to answerer for

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Angiekyle

Was born in 1969, I was just wondering dose anyone know about the clinical trials that where carried out in the home or any way of finding out. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

As far as i know there were 9 children from Good shepard Dunboyne used in the 1960/1961 4 in one trial but no trial in Good Shepard Dunboyne in 1969

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 familyred

=Mazdoll;64143914]Hi Harry JD

I was there in 1989 so it was probably run a lot different to 1975. I will figure out how to do the private message thing and I let you know as much as I can remember. The place is now a hotel, very posh, I will build up the courage to go back there and step inside the door.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jessie64

Hello just wondering were any of you ladies there during aug8 4 to jan 85 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 familyred

i was there 1988 /89

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tcarroll

Hi I was in the mother and baby home in Dunboyne from Jan- to June 1987. I am giving evidence at the mother baby inquiry tomorrow, my experience was not a bad one, I felt that we were allowed to come and go. I remember Sister Ann and Sister Cait, I felt they were very kind, the name of the dog was Ivan, I used to take him for a five mile walk everyday. Where I felt was harsh and where I felt I was discriminated was in Holles street. I was spoken down to. I gave my son up for adoption. The day I was leaving the hospital. the nurse dragged his cot down the corridor to the nursery. I still have the sound of it in my head. The home was full when I was there, and it was the support that we gave each other and I still keep in touch with one person. It is like a dream as if it never happened, I do think that in some way I was brain washed to thinking that giving my son up for adoption was the best thing, even signing the adoption papers, was rushed, I had no legal advice, it is only now that I am thinking about that. I would love to hear from anyone that was there the same time as me and your experience. I know I am 7 years late joining the conversation. What is most shocking to me is that the land was owned by the health board and they sold it, I feel the same as you in relation to the hotel, I could not go back there, I think of all the suffering since 1955. The state and society have a lot to answerer for
    Adrienne, I have sent you a private message regarding your stay at Dunboyne. We are interested in your timeline of Jan 1987 to June 1987 as we think someone we are looking for was there also during this time. If you see this please reach out. I know we are a few years too late jumping on this post. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mazdoll

Hi All,

Well its 9 years and 11 months ago since I posted about my experiences in Dunboyne Mother and Child Institute.
    My son is now 30, has his own adult life, and so much has change and not changed for the women and their children who were in these places.
    Tuam, Bessboro, Castlepollard, Dunboyne, trial on kids, forced adoptions, coercion, bullying, mistreatment, neglect and nothing more than abuse in some cases.

And the world goes on, Im older, my son is older, loved ones have passed on, the very first person I spoke to on here on this thread is gone also.

To all and every one of you I still haven't forgotten, I never will, I hope to post again in ten years ...maybe we will see all records available, full medical history, people knowing who they are and where they came from, where their children went to, reunited, an apology, maybe some change....

Love light and all good blessings to each and all...Amanda

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mazdoll- chin up. Its because of people like you who refuse to allow all those who were and are responsible for the records of places like Dunboyne, Castlepollard, Bessborough, Roscrea, Tuam and a whole lot more- that we are all here and sticking our heads up for all that matters. So much has changed- and so much has not changed- things that were spoken off 20 years ago- are still being spoken of today- simple things- like giving adopted people their original birth certs when they turn 18, for example. We have travelled a journey- yet we have far to go. Keep your spirits up- hopefully there will be a better future for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Orlmac

Hi Shirley,

I was there Sept 86 to Dec 86. My name is Orlagh - I didn't use a fake name. I originally planned to give up my daughter but changed my mind in Holles St. She went into foster care in Tallaght for 6 weeks and then I took her home.

Ivan was a Samoyed <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Grahamm98

mother1986 wrote: »
    I was in Dunboyne from April 1986 to July 1986. There were over 40 girls there when I arrived. The memories are both happy and sad but all still very vivid. I have been back to 'Dunboyne Castle' once since it became a hotel and all the memories came flooding back. I learned how to knit! Nothing much else to do once you finished your chore in the morning. I remember the view from my bedroom and the squirrels on the lawn and the walk into the village to the wool shop or for icecream. We were all only on first name basis and I never saw any of you again but we helped eachother through a very tough time in life!:)
    Susan

My mother was in Dunboyne from May till June 1986 and wishes she could get in touch with anyone from that’s time.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Hi all,

Firstly thanks to everyone for contributing as it has really helped me (as someone who was adopted) put things into perspective.

I had been toying with the idea of seeking info about my biological mother etc but this report has certainly flicked a switch of intrigue for me.

I was born in 1983 in Holles Street and know my biological mother was from Dublin. If she was in the Dunboyne home that is the likely place I would have been born.

What really pulls this together for me...is my mam and dad who adopted me are from Dunboyne and I live there still to this day with my own family.

Seems too coincidental for me not to find out more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DMPC89

Hi, amazing to find this site with all of these heartbreaking stories. I was born to a woman who spent the last few months of 1989 in Dunboyne mother and baby home. If anyone was there at that time, I would love to hear what conditions were like, hopefully a little nicer in those years. I hope everyone finds what they are looking for and lives a happy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MissMul1983

Hello! New on the site. I was born in June 1983 in Dunboyne and was wondering if anyone remembers my Mum? Her real name was Clodagh but I don't know her 'house name'. Thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maize

I was there from October1974. to February 1975., I have recently told my children and I'm not sure how I feel. I've held this secret for so long. I have a photo of 3 nuns with a baby. Not my baby. One of the nuns was sister Rachel. She was a psychiatrist or psychologist. I remember being constantly bombarded with what would happen to me and my baby if I didn't give him up quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lilliemaie

Did you keep your baby

Advertisement