Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-11-2018, 12:28   #31
Jack burton

What would the story be if a club like this was registered as a NPO?

I do know a few places that do this. The lads involved don't take any money out but every few months will just go out for dinner and a few drinks at the expense of the club. Rest of the money just goes into running & upgrading the place etc.
Advertisement
09-11-2018, 14:19   #32
Shapey Fiend

I'd ask the people who run Heart of Gaming to hop on a call with you and get a bit of information. They don't seem to have had as deep pockets as Arcade Club and there were plenty of ups and downs.

Seems to me either you find somewhere that's cheap to rent (maybe tricky these days) and do it as a private club or you do a bar & restaurant with arcades. If you're running a bar/restaurant you'd probably want some experienced people on board to avoid losing your shirt.

I would be slow to start anything like this if I didn't have money to blow on a vanity project or restauranteur ambitions.

Last edited by Shapey Fiend; 09-11-2018 at 14:23.
Thanks from:
10-11-2018, 11:49   #33
Jack burton

The only food an arcade club should serve is "pik and mix"
(2) thanks from:
10-11-2018, 11:58   #34
Optimus Prime
Roll Out...

If I was running an arcade I wouldn’t want anyone near my cabs with greasy hands from eating nachos or whatever sh*te was being served. If you want food go to a restaurant.
10-11-2018, 14:10   #35
Jack burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
If I was running an arcade I wouldn’t want anyone near my cabs with greasy hands from eating nachos or whatever sh*te was being served. If you want food go to a restaurant.
Your old MK 2 cab in token had a nice layer of something on the 2P stick last time I was there

First things first. We get a barrel of hand sanitizer?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-11-2018, 00:19   #36
Optimus Prime
Roll Out...

I regret selling that, but if i didnt i wouldnt have a Star Trek Pinball right now so..
12-11-2018, 23:03   #37
Shapey Fiend

I was watching a pinball documentary a while ago and some guy explained the scenario very effectively. In the 1970's people ate at home and went out for entertainment. Nowadays they have entertainment at home and go out to eat. This is why nacho cheese on your controls are sort of a necessary evil. You only have to look at Token people are way more interested in the food than the games, they're just window dressing.

I don't know if someone on this forum suggested it but an American style sports bar would be a good combo. I'm sure the licencing would be obscene but going somewhere and being able to sit down and watch something of your choosing with your bros over a few beers would probably a novelty in Dublin. Hell, some people would probably want to go to watch e-sports. I went to a bar in Wexford for rap battles this weekend and they were streaming live American rap battles over the telly there between the Irish clashes.

Last edited by Shapey Fiend; 12-11-2018 at 23:14.
12-11-2018, 23:39   #38
beejee

That's a neat comparison between eating/entertainment. I'm definitely getting plans and ideas together.

From being busy I haven't checked the premises again, and to be honest that's the first hurdle it may die on.

Second is the machines and that's going as smoothly as expected, more leads and others getting closer.

After that it's just needing a bit of magic to gel. Worst case scenario is that premises fall through and all machines disappear. Next best is premises are toast but that I have a geansai load of machines to pass on. I may have wrangled free storage for about 20 either way.

It's glacial movement right now, but you get nowhere if you don't try! Wouldn't have an update for a few weeks I'd expect.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion