Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-10-2018, 14:33   #46
DaveyDave

So the PSTV/Vita can play PSP games? What firmware is needed, how hard is it to find one at that, and is it difficult to install CFW?

They're €70 in CeX, anywhere better to buy one? Should have bought one when they were going for €50 in Smyths!

I didn't know you could play PSP games on it, I have some PS1, PSP and a Vita game I'd like to play. Does the touchpad work with the Dualshock 4 or are touch enabled games still not playable?

I haven't had a handheld since the original PSP using the Liberty City Stories save game exploit. Very out of the loop at this stage!
Advertisement
30-10-2018, 14:56   #47
Jack burton

So where's the best place to get Red Dead 2?

Seen a lot of deals around but ye lads have anyplace that's a bit cheaper?
30-10-2018, 14:59   #48
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
So the PSTV/Vita can play PSP games? What firmware is needed, how hard is it to find one at that, and is it difficult to install CFW?
The PSTV is what you want really. Compatible with Vita, PS1, PSP, via the DS4 controller. Then add emulation into the mix for other consoles, and it starts appearing as a nice value item.

Quote:
They're €70 in CeX, anywhere better to buy one? Should have bought one when they were going for €50 in Smyths!
Here's one from a seller which seems to sell a lot of them. When it comes to hacking them, here's the current situation:

Firmware 3.60 and below - a permanent cfw can be installed.
Firmware 3.61 - 3.68 - a HEN (homebrew enabler) can be installed, which doesn't survive a reboot. It's very easy to reapply on each boot though, something simple like clicking on a bubble iirc.
Firmware 3.69 - this is the latest firmware. There is a hack for it, but it's being kept privately at the mo. The guy who wrote it said he's keeping it private until the Vita goes end-of-life. Sony announced the Vita is going e-o-l in Japan next year, so it'll be released sooner rather than later.

The seller above lists various different firmware versions. Personally I think a 3.60 or below is the best bet (if it's below, you need to update to 3.60) because it allows the permanent cfw. There is a new dumping tool which has been released (or will be released, not too sure) which allows higher firmware games to be played on lower firmwares too, so 3.60 seems golden.

Quote:
I didn't know you could play PSP games on it, I have some PS1, PSP and a Vita game I'd like to play. Does the touchpad work with the Dualshock 4 or are touch enabled games still not playable?
The Vita/PSTV has built in PSP hardware, it's even better than emulation. The modified version of this (Adrenaline), basically allows you to install the PSP CFW over the Sony PSP hardware, giving you a fully functional PSP on CFW via your PSTV (and Vita). Re the touchpad, I'm not certain but I think the DS4 can replace the Vita's touchpad in games. You can also whitelist all of the games that Sony blacklisted on the PSTV, opening it up to the full library of Vita games.
(3) thanks from:
30-10-2018, 15:12   #49
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

I must check my PSTV for firmware version and get the CFW installed, then pick up one of the adaptors for using a micro SD card.
I've a spare 64Gb one there that'd be perfect.
Thanks from:
30-10-2018, 15:15   #50
gerrybbadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack burton View Post
So where's the best place to get Red Dead 2?

Seen a lot of deals around but ye lads have anyplace that's a bit cheaper?
42 Euro on the Indonesian Playstation Store
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-10-2018, 15:53   #51
megaten

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
I must check my PSTV for firmware version and get the CFW installed, then pick up one of the adaptors for using a micro SD card.
If its a PSTV you should be able to just use a USB stick. I have Vita that I keep up to date but I have a PSTV in case I ever need a hacked one.
(2) thanks from:
30-10-2018, 15:58   #52
Doge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrybbadd View Post
42 Euro on the Indonesian Playstation Store
Its only €36.something with this 15% off discount code which expires tomorrow:

JMR5BQD4B4

You need a Revolut card with a virtual visa or physical to purchase it though.

The first attempt will get blocked due to suspicious activity and you just have to confirm it was you, unblock the card and try again.

Last edited by Doge; 30-10-2018 at 16:01.
Thanks from:
30-10-2018, 16:01   #53
DaveyDave

On the topic of Red Dead, it's slow to start but once you get to the first camp/town it picks up and is pretty consistent from then on. I've heard it's 45-60 hours long but so far for me it doesn't seem grindy or anything and I've been putting in 3-5 hours every days.

Search some tips for controller settings to make it a bit smoother. I think thumbstick deadzone set to zero and aim assist off on foot.

I read an article saying not to spend money on guns as you pick them up throughout the story, I don't have many and I'm 2/3 into the game and I want a proper shotgun so don't be afraid to spend a bit on a new gun but save a few quid for bounties.

Staying fed, warm and clean isn't a huge issue nor is feeding the horse or maintaining your guns. It's necessary but very relaxed.
30-10-2018, 16:18   #54
Inviere

Quote:
The PSTV when hacked will work with mass storage devices, so usb stick, external hdd's etc. No need for the SD2Vita thingy.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-10-2018, 16:32   #55
Doge

The EMUVR Beta has been live the last 2 weeks! I only spotted it on facebook yesterday:

Basically you email the owner and he sends you a discord invite link where you can read lots of info and get the download link.

http://www.emuvr.net/beta

(2) thanks from:
30-10-2018, 16:43   #56
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post
The PSTV when hacked will work with mass storage devices, so usb stick, external hdd's etc. No need for the SD2Vita thingy.
Excellent, now to figure what to load on there...
Einhander
Rage Racer
Need for Speed, NfS3 and Road Challenge
Raiden DX
RETURN FIRE!

And not an RPG in sight!
Thanks from:
30-10-2018, 16:45   #57
Inviere

Quote:
Excellent, now to figure what to load on there...
Einhander
Rage Racer
Need for Speed, NfS3 and Road Challenge
Raiden DX
RETURN FIRE!

And not an RPG in sight!
You could dump the entire PS1 library on a €50 500GB hdd Not that I'd advise that, instant "flash card syndrome" (all day scrolling, but playing nothing). You could pick out a top 50 or something, and never look back.
30-10-2018, 17:19   #58
DaveyDave

Picked up a 64GB SanDisk USB recently for €15 off Amazon, flash storage is very cheap these days. Good to know I won't need a Vita to SD thingy.
30-10-2018, 17:24   #59
gerrybbadd

There's a 128GB sandisc drive on Amazon that regularly goes on offer for £20 too. Camelcamelcamel is a great service for price tracking.

I intend to download some of the great retropie builds that come preskinned etc in the future. Some of them weigh in at the 128GB mark
30-10-2018, 17:28   #60
Doge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post
You could dump the entire PS1 library on a €50 500GB hdd Not that I'd advise that, instant "flash card syndrome" (all day scrolling, but playing nothing). You could pick out a top 50 or something, and never look back.
What year are you living in? 50 would easily get you a 1TB drive these days!

I have a 4TB WD Passport reserved in Argos for collection when it comes into stock in the next few days - €85!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion