Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-05-2018, 16:16   #46
The Last Bandit

Yep QNAP TS251+ tucked away hosting all the media and running the Plex server, Shield can also act as a server but I'm only using it as a client. Having the download client and media server on the same box is handy

NAS also supports DLNA and its own streaming services but they are dark age stuff compared to Plex with all its lovely metadata.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-05-2018, 16:17   #47
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
Yep QNAP TS251+ tucked away hosting all the media and running the Plex server, Shield can also act as a server but I'm only using it as a client. Having the download client and media server on the same box is handy

NAS also supports DLNA and its own streaming services but they are dark age stuff compared to Plex with all its lovely metadata.
Very nice. Do you find transcoding reduces quality at all?
24-05-2018, 16:25   #48
The Last Bandit

Not that I've noticed, the Shield should be able to handle the vast majority of the video codecs so its only audio containers that get transcoded, sometimes 5.1 to stereo can be muffled unless the profile is tweaked a bit.

You can have Plex 'optimize' media where it will transcode them offline to that ever profile you like if the NAS can't handle concurrent transcoded streams. Mine is only doing software transcoding at the moment but I'll probably pay for the premium package and I think that includes the hardware transcoding option.

Might get video transcoding on tablets/ipad but not noticed any quality issues.
Thanks from:
24-05-2018, 16:35   #49
Inviere

I see Cannonball has been ported to Retroarch. Weird looking at Outrun with double the framrate & double the gfx resolution

Quote:
This is a reverse engineered version of Outrun written by Reassembler. It sports several enhancements over the original Outrun game, such as a 60fps framerate (original ran at 30fps), high-resolution rendering, and widescreen mode support. There are also several additional modes which were never there in the arcade game, such as time trial modes and whatnot.

Last edited by Inviere; 24-05-2018 at 16:45.
Thanks from:
26-05-2018, 01:24   #50
Doge

So strange seeing it run at 60 FPS. Almost makes it look like a modern game.
Advertisement
26-05-2018, 08:07   #51
Andrew76

Looks cack with no scanlines.
26-05-2018, 15:49   #52
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
Looks cack with no scanlines.
Indeed, but so does everything running through an LCD..original hardware included. Thankfully Retroarch has the best shader system around, must give it a go later on with crt-royale turned on & see how it looks. I'm a huge stickler for framerate, but for something like Outrun, I think I'd prefer it at the original 30fps
10-06-2018, 07:03   #53
Inviere

Interesting seeing the official Ninty emulator running SMG on a Shield. Chinese Shield only for the mo, but goes to show the Switch hardware has no problems with upscaled GC Wii stuff if the code is optimised enough. The game is absolutely gorgeous looking, could easily pass for current gen

Last edited by Inviere; 10-06-2018 at 11:22.
(3) thanks from:
18-06-2018, 09:29   #54
guile4582

a mate set up retroarch on my ps3, but there was no N64 core.. so I've gone onto romsmania to grab one and downloaded on to the usb with everything else. is it as simple as when i plug this into the ps3 and pick a n64 rom the n64 core will load?
Advertisement
18-06-2018, 17:51   #55
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by guile4582 View Post
a mate set up retroarch on my ps3, but there was no N64 core.. so I've gone onto romsmania to grab one and downloaded on to the usb with everything else. is it as simple as when i plug this into the ps3 and pick a n64 rom the n64 core will load?
I've no idea about Retroarch on consoles I'm afraid. On the PC, you download any additional cores you want from WITHIN Retroarch itself, it downloads them to the correct place & the core will have the correct name. Is there any way to browse available cores from within RA itself on the PS3?
19-06-2018, 09:09   #56
guile4582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post
I've no idea about Retroarch on consoles I'm afraid. On the PC, you download any additional cores you want from WITHIN Retroarch itself, it downloads them to the correct place & the core will have the correct name. Is there any way to browse available cores from within RA itself on the PS3?
had a look last night there is a "download core" option but nothing happened. i wouldn't be an expert so treading lightly! read this this morning too

http://www.retroarch.com/index.php?page=cores
24-06-2018, 11:23   #57
Inviere

Some progression with Ryujinx (a Switch emulator). Ethics/morality aside, it's mad the progress this had made. Granted, Sonic Mania is a very simple 2d game compared to what the Switch can do

25-06-2018, 16:17   #58
Inviere

Odroid anyone?

Thanks from:
25-06-2018, 17:37   #59
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by guile4582 View Post
I think you can put N64 roms in a N64 folder and then associate that folder with that core.

I am only new to it myself. I have all the roms (all arcarde) just on the root of a USB key, when I go into "Load Content" and select one it brings up a choice of cores I could use, and I pick one of the MAME ones. So if you go to load conent and click on the N64 rom it might do the same.

Neither of my MAME emus seem that good though, I am wondering what the best is. One is MAME 2000 can't remember the other. Maybe I should be downloading a 3rd?

Some games (e.g. splatterhouse) do not load at all. The rom works fine on mame on a PC.
25-06-2018, 17:50   #60
Tom Mann Centuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post
Odroid anyone?

Looks like a fun little thing. My youngest would love making that and playing with It, hopefully it'll appear online to buy here. Definite Christmas present.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion