Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-05-2018, 23:58   #31
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Outrun 2 on the Xbox, just sublime and matches the arcade hardware more or less.
It would interesting to see Steel Battalion emulated, with the keyboard and a pair of analogue sticks.
The Xbox also hosted the better version of Metal Arms too, as well as that gonzo mecha game that killed my Xbox Retr0!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-05-2018, 01:14   #32
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

You just weren't patriotic enough for Metal Wolf Chaos.
(2) thanks from:
23-05-2018, 07:02   #33
Tom Mann Centuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
It would interesting to see Steel Battalion emulated, with the keyboard and a pair of analogue sticks.
It would be a really pale imitation I'd have thought.
23-05-2018, 07:09   #34
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mann Centuria View Post
It would be a really pale imitation I'd have thought.
Well, yes...
But if a person has no other way to play it....

And I think that is the central conceit to emulation, no?
It might look like the desired game onscreen but it will miss that certain something, be it the experience of the media, the host console and/or the controller.
23-05-2018, 07:20   #35
Tom Mann Centuria

Quote:
Well, yes...

It might look like the desired game onscreen but it will miss that certain something, be it the experience of the media, the host console and/or the controller.
I think in this particular example it's taken to the nth degree though. The only thing unique or interesting about that game are the controllers. You'd get as much out of watching someone else play with the proper set up on a YouTube video, imo.
Advertisement
23-05-2018, 08:51   #36
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Oh, I don't know, the game is pretty impressive and, married to a VR headset even in big screen mode, it would be a cracking game to play.
That said, with one's noggin in a headset it would be hard to know if you were hitting the reload key or the one that washes the windows.
Thanks from:
23-05-2018, 08:53   #37
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

Xbox controllers are just USB, bastardised to a proprietary connector so I'm sure with emulation someone could write a driver for the controller.
Thanks from:
23-05-2018, 08:59   #38
Tom Mann Centuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
Xbox controllers are just USB, bastardised to a proprietary connector so I'm sure with emulation someone could write a driver for the controller.
Then you'd be talking, for the lucky few who have one.(this is not an invitation for you lucky feckers who own one to post pictures)
23-05-2018, 09:18   #39
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mann Centuria View Post
Then you'd be talking, for the lucky few who have one.

Quote:
(this is not an invitation for you lucky feckers who own one to post pictures)

Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-05-2018, 17:21   #40
Inviere

Quote:

Not in all cases, definitely no. I greatly downsized my physical collection, and favored an emulation setup. I do own the original consoles, I do (did) own the games, I do own a CRT, and yet, I made the decision to largely 'get out'. Collecting is great, it's a wonderful hobby, and is the de facto way to experience the media in question. It does come with some caveats though, it's stupidly and artificially expensive, there's a lot of trivial willy waving that goes on with it, it can become obsessional and compulsive, you need space (potentially a lot of it), there's usually maintenance, and there's a large placebo effect going on for many people.

What I mean by that is, well, I'll ask the question of myself by choosing a random game. Was my experience of Super Metroid negatively affected, in any sense at all, by playing it via an emulator, versus playing it on actual hardware? Owning the game and console physically, I can safely say no, it wasn't. There was no middle man between me, and the games code. The games code runs flawlessly on real hardware, as it does via something like a cycle exact Snes emulator. I played with a Snes style USB controller, so no difference there. I played it with some heavy duty shader action, which gave me a very close approximation of a crt tv. All in all, a very gratifying experience.
23-05-2018, 23:43   #41
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

Infidel...

(Goes back to playing on an everdrive on a lcd monitor)
24-05-2018, 15:34   #42
The Last Bandit

Migrating my big screen emulation onto Nvidia Shield TV at the moment from my old RetronPi setup. Its always plugged in, better controllers, more power etc so much more convenient - when its not busy with Youtube Kids or Netflix that is..

Combination of ARC Browser & Retroarch works very well and the hardware is plenty powerful for the consoles I'm emulating (up to PS1). Still fiddling about with the various shaders and hotkeys but its coming together nicely.
Thanks from:
24-05-2018, 15:49   #43
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
Migrating my big screen emulation onto Nvidia Shield TV at the moment from my old RetronPi setup. Its always plugged in, better controllers, more power etc so much more convenient - when its not busy with Youtube Kids or Netflix that is..

Combination of ARC Browser & Retroarch works very well and the hardware is plenty powerful for the consoles I'm emulating (up to PS1). Still fiddling about with the various shaders and hotkeys but its coming together nicely.
Have heard great things about the Shield, apparently it's the absolute business for playing 4k HDR practically fuss free too.
24-05-2018, 16:03   #44
The Last Bandit

They're impressive devices alright and expensive compared to other Android TV boxes, similar specs as the Switch.

I've converted over to using Plex for all media sharing in the house and the Shield works great with it. Ability to play android games is handy too
24-05-2018, 16:06   #45
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
I've converted over to using Plex for all media sharing in the house
NAS?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text