Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 12:21   #256
Danick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 859
What do you guys think of the new update? Can you load multi load games? Does anyone use a different usb joystick/joypad? I have an xbox 360 usb joypad - would that work with it? - Has anyone tried using a powered usb hub with it so you can have a usb drive and a keyboard plugged in at the same time?

Any help greatly appreciated - I bought mine at launch but didn't fancy playing it with the included joystick and I didn't really have any of the included games as a kid so there was no nostalgic trip for me. Since launch I have stuck with my trusty C64C but I'm intrigued by the new firmware for the mini.
Danick is offline  
Advertisement
09-11-2018, 13:08   #257
Mr E
Administrator
 
Mr E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 43,571
Honestly? Still in the box since the firmware update.
Mr E is offline  
Thanks from:
09-11-2018, 13:34   #258
Los Lobos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danick View Post
What do you guys think of the new update? Can you load multi load games? Does anyone use a different usb joystick/joypad? I have an xbox 360 usb joypad - would that work with it? - Has anyone tried using a powered usb hub with it so you can have a usb drive and a keyboard plugged in at the same time?

Any help greatly appreciated - I bought mine at launch but didn't fancy playing it with the included joystick and I didn't really have any of the included games as a kid so there was no nostalgic trip for me. Since launch I have stuck with my trusty C64C but I'm intrigued by the new firmware for the mini.

Not sure about multiload games, but the update makes a HUGE difference, insofar as you can whip a crapton of games onto a usb stick and have them all available to you on screen.


I only used .tap and .d64 files, so had to wait for them to load.


My only gripe now is the joystick broke in my hand while in the middle of a game of Turrican II, they really are badly put together. They don't handle well for games where you need do do a lot of diagonal jumps, like Turrican, Bubble Bobble etc.
Los Lobos is offline  
09-11-2018, 13:44   #259
deadl0ck
Registered User
 
deadl0ck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Westmeath
Posts: 3,118
I'm thinking of one for Christmas, although I'm also thinking of re-capping my original C64 that's on the attic and using that with one of the SD Loader thingies.....
Suggestions ?
deadl0ck is offline  
Thanks from:
09-11-2018, 18:08   #260
Danick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadl0ck View Post
I'm thinking of one for Christmas, although I'm also thinking of re-capping my original C64 that's on the attic and using that with one of the SD Loader thingies.....
Suggestions ?
Recapping it is probably a good idea - If you are getting the SD2IEC then you may as well pick up an Epyx Fast Load cartridge - I grew up with tape downloads but when I got back into C64 a few years ago I bought these and never looked back.

The joystick is horrible for the C64 mini - its leaf switch rather than micro switch - I am wondering if anyone has used a usb hub and simultaneously powered a usb joypad, usb stick and usb keyboard?
Danick is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-11-2018, 12:04   #261
alpahaeagle
Registered User
 
alpahaeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Far side of the Moon
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danick View Post
Recapping it is probably a good idea - If you are getting the SD2IEC then you may as well pick up an Epyx Fast Load cartridge - I grew up with tape downloads but when I got back into C64 a few years ago I bought these and never looked back.

The joystick is horrible for the C64 mini - its leaf switch rather than micro switch - I am wondering if anyone has used a usb hub and simultaneously powered a usb joypad, usb stick and usb keyboard?


I was watching the 8bit guy on youtube and he used a usb hub on the mini...
alpahaeagle is offline  
Thanks from:
12-11-2018, 12:18   #262
The Last Bandit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danick View Post
The joystick is horrible for the C64 mini - its leaf switch rather than micro switch - I am wondering if anyone has used a usb hub and simultaneously powered a usb joypad, usb stick and usb keyboard?
Leaf switch is more authentic though, all the typical C64 joysticks like Quickshot were all leaf spring.
I used to repair them for the other kids when I was in school, the lid off a tin of beans proved to be more reliable substitute when cut to shape

Only the rich kids had micro switched joysticks
The Last Bandit is offline  
Thanks from:
12-11-2018, 22:38   #263
Danick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
Leaf switch is more authentic though, all the typical C64 joysticks like Quickshot were all leaf spring.
I used to repair them for the other kids when I was in school, the lid off a tin of beans proved to be more reliable substitute when cut to shape

Only the rich kids had micro switched joysticks
I'm pretty sure the Quickshot 2 that came with our computer in 1984 was micro-switched. I remember picking up a power play cruiser and being hugely disappointed as Commodore Format heavily promoted it - I bought it in a shop in Galway and couldn't understand why it got such good reviews. I later realised that there were two versions and that I had bought a leaf switched one rather than a microswitched one. It was only when I got my hands on a zipstick that I realised the true power of a microswitched joystick. A few year's ago I picked up a Power Play microswitched Cruiser and quickly realised why Commodore Format were raving about it back in the day.
Danick is offline  
12-11-2018, 22:44   #264
magentis
Registered User
 
magentis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danick View Post
I'm pretty sure the Quickshot 2 that came with our computer in 1984 was micro-switched. I remember picking up a power play cruiser and being hugely disappointed as Commodore Format heavily promoted it - I bought it in a shop in Galway and couldn't understand why it got such good reviews. I later realised that there were two versions and that I had bought a leaf switched one rather than a microswitched one. It was only when I got my hands on a zipstick that I realised the true power of a microswitched joystick. A few year's ago I picked up a Power Play microswitched Cruiser and quickly realised why Commodore Format were raving about it back in the day.
That was a quickshot 2 plus you had,those had microswitches as did the turbo.The first qs2 had leaf contacts.
magentis is offline  
Advertisement
12-11-2018, 22:51   #265
Tom Mann Centuria
Moderator
 
Tom Mann Centuria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
Leaf switch is more authentic though, all the typical C64 joysticks like Quickshot were all leaf spring.
I used to repair them for the other kids when I was in school, the lid off a tin of beans proved to be more reliable substitute when cut to shape

Only the rich kids had micro switched joysticks
The Competition Pro it's clearly modelled off was microswitched. They've just cheaped out, which is a shame because they appear to have worked quite hard on the emulation side of things.
Tom Mann Centuria is offline  
(2) thanks from:
13-11-2018, 08:51   #266
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator
 
CiDeRmAn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Right next to my Towel, you Hoopy Frood!
Posts: 31,665
I wonder if the innards of a zipstick could be popped in there, I have one here perfect for such a project.
All I need is a C64 Mini!
I think it might be a Santy present request!
CiDeRmAn is offline  
13-11-2018, 09:03   #267
CathalDublin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dubberland
Posts: 3,650
problem with the c64 mini joystick is it's basically a D-pad with a stick stuck on

Last edited by CathalDublin; 13-11-2018 at 09:09.
CathalDublin is offline  
Thanks from:
13-11-2018, 09:11   #268
The Last Bandit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,054
Taking an original Zipstick and adding the extra buttons/converting to USB would be more reliable option - but its a lot of hassle for something like this.
The Last Bandit is offline  
Thanks from:
13-11-2018, 09:47   #269
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator
 
CiDeRmAn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Right next to my Towel, you Hoopy Frood!
Posts: 31,665
SD adapter for an actual C64 might be better.
I think I need a new keyboard membrane for mine too.
CiDeRmAn is offline  
Thanks from:
14-11-2018, 16:32   #270
H3llR4iser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,973
I would always recommend recapping the original C64 and getting an SD2IEC + FastLoader cartridge for it, if you have one and can do the job. Don't get me wrong, the 64 mini and emulation are great for that quick fix and for giving access to an immense array of games, especially for those who may have never owned/used a C64 and are wondering what the fuss is about.

But firing up the good old C64, the keyboard feel, the joysticks and even fiddling with the 1530 Datassette...it's got that "back to 1986" feel!

You'll also notice some interesting things that escaped your 8-years-old-self:

- Not two VIC-II chips have the same video output quality;
- Loading from the cassette...is not as painful as we remember; Maybe it's because some PC/Xbox One/PS4 games, now, take similar amounts of time to load between screens...
- The 64 was a much more capable and powerful machine than we realized at the time...if you never tried GeOS, take a look...
- Games were bloody difficult

Last edited by H3llR4iser; 14-11-2018 at 18:00.
H3llR4iser is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet