Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-11-2010, 17:57   #46
Myrddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdante View Post
Hi All

My NES will play games for maybe 10 min but then the screen just gets messed up.
Do you think its the 72 pin connecter or something else.
Thanks for the help
Do they work again then with a reset? What type of messed up do you mean, pixel errors & glitches? More than likely dirt on pins, or a 72pin connector thats getting weak.
Advertisement
22-11-2010, 18:50   #47
dmcdante

When reset nothing but a black and red screen and ya but pixel errors and glitches
22-11-2010, 18:52   #48
Myrddin

Quote:
When reset nothing but a black and red screen and ya but pixel errors and glitches
So how do you get them working again? Power off for few mins?
22-11-2010, 19:11   #49
dmcdante

When it goes off i try again to get it working but no luck so just don't really play it for a week or two then the same works for a small while and just stops on me
22-11-2010, 19:33   #50
Myrddin

Quote:
When it goes off i try again to get it working but no luck so just don't really play it for a week or two then the same works for a small while and just stops on me
I'd certainly try the above fixes first, as they're the most common faults (clean cart pin & replace 72 pin connector). It could also be suffering from a component issue of some sorts, perhaps a dry cap that fails after a few mins.
Advertisement
22-11-2010, 19:47   #51
dmcdante

Thanks Enter will order a new 72 pin connecter tonight will let you know if it works thanks
26-11-2010, 14:33   #52
Alter Egotist

It isn in my possession yet but I was hoping ye could help.

Im being given a megadrive that "isnt working" by a friend. I dont know in what way it is faulty or if it can be fixed but just wondering does any one have a recommendation on usual megadrive faults that i could tackle/look at first when i get it?

Is there a megadrive equivalent issue to the 72 pin connector?

Is there a battery that could need replacing.

Sory bout vague description of problem, will update with more infor when i receive it (hopefully tomorrow or else monday)

Al.
26-11-2010, 17:32   #53
o1s1n

To be honest there's usually nothing wrong with them and people just can't figure out how to tune them in with the rf cable.

My best advice? Buy an RGB scart cable for it. You just plug it into the console and you have instant picture.

Just make sure you buy the correct one. The Megadrive I and II have different sized AV ports.

If it's not powering on then you probably just need a new PSU.
27-11-2010, 20:22   #54
Myrddin

Amiga 1200 Capacitor Replacement

Ok guys, time for another repair log. Normally my threads go in the Console Modding forum, but this is more a repair than a mod so I'm gonna post it here.

The operation is on o1s1n's Amiga 1200, which developed some problems relating to the sound & colour end of things. o1s1n being much more up on Amiga's than me did the homework on this one, and surmised it was a capacitor issue, which affects quite a number of people. And if it doesn't affect you, wait for it

Amiga parts are getting rare & hard to find these days, especially pcb components etc. Luckily I managed to stumble across a guy in France who goes by the name CosMos, who offered a very cpmpetetive price for a complete capacitor kit. His blog is in French, but you can translate it easily via Google. So many thanks to Cosmos, it saved a hell of a lot of guessing & messing about trying to find the correct values etc.

Ok to begin, we take one Amiga 1200 with dodgey caps

Obviously it needs to be stripped down to the pcb, I won't show the whole process but here's one shot.

A few of you were asking elsewhere about the CF Hdd installation, well here it is in reverse. It simply plugs out/in via a mini-ide connector.

And unplugged

There are four of these larger traditional type caps, and the rest are surface mount. These were a little tricky as they are soldered on both the topside & underside of the motherboard. Ideally a vacumn solder pump should be used on these to remove enough solder to allow the new caps to pass through the motherboard with ease.

Out with the old...

And in with the new.

The rest of the kit consists of fifteen surface mount caps, seen here

Desoldered

Replacement happily soldered in place.

Crunch time, will it work? Of course it did!

I then stupidly loaded this with my 8 year old son in the room, damn you o1s1n, as if not having an Amiga was bad enough - I now have to listen to "Can we get an Amiga?!?!"

And that's that. I've left it on & used it for about an hour now, and it hasn't missed a beat. Colours & sound are perfect for me so all seems well. Hopefully you get many more years fun out of it now o1s1n! Thanks again to CosMos for his services, and patience with me lol.

Last edited by Myrddin; 27-11-2010 at 20:28.
Advertisement
27-11-2010, 20:32   #55
o1s1n

Hah! I was wondering why you were texting me about the mouse. Had my fingers crossed I'd be seeing such a post soon.

You are an absolute legend. Thank you! The colours in the picture look perfect!
Thanks from:
01-12-2010, 07:13   #56
Alter Egotist

Does anyone know will it damage a Nes by playing the games with the loading bay not closed? i.e. i got a nes to fix and i now seem to be able to play the games without closing sping mechanism. If i do close it games dont generally work, just get a grey screen same as when no game present.

Hope ye can help.

Al
01-12-2010, 09:48   #57
Myrddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Egotist View Post
Does anyone know will it damage a Nes by playing the games with the loading bay not closed? i.e. i got a nes to fix and i now seem to be able to play the games without closing sping mechanism. If i do close it games dont generally work, just get a grey screen same as when no game present.

Hope ye can help.

Al
Are you referring to the lid that you open in order to put a cart in? Or the spring mechanism that holds the carts in place? If it's just the lid, it bears no impact on anything to do with carts so I've no idea how that could be.
01-12-2010, 12:07   #58
Optimus Prime
Roll Out...

My games worked when the spring was down, but i recently changed the 72pin and they only work when up now, I just need to loosen the screws that hold the spring thing in place but havent got around to it yet. You might be able to easily fix it just by loosening the screws.
01-12-2010, 14:03   #59
Alter Egotist

ya i replaced the 62 pin aswell. Will give that a go. thanks.

On another note. any ideas why a megadrive game would load the first bit of txt re liscence etc and then screen go blank?

is it a connection problem or a problem with game. Megadrive tunes in and power light stays on so persume its not the megadrive itself.

Al.
01-12-2010, 14:11   #60
Andrew76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Egotist View Post
On another note. any ideas why a megadrive game would load the first bit of txt re liscence etc and then screen go blank?

is it a connection problem or a problem with game. Megadrive tunes in and power light stays on so persume its not the megadrive itself.
Al.
Wouldn't be a region lock issue would it? Are both console and cart the same region? I know you can get a message saying the cart is only designed for certain regions etc but is it always the case you see that message?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion