Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-07-2009, 14:50   #61
marty87
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
But that I'd say is why they never made a portable version of the Snes, although the portable Megadrive, the Nomad, never set the world on fire now, did it?
No but it was an amazingly useful idea, lets you play your megadrive in the sitting room without disrupting your housemates. they should build a modern portable Snes with a good battery life and screen. Any takers?
Advertisement
29-07-2009, 13:03   #62
vangoz

Indiana jones and the fate of atlantis (PC)
System shock 2 (PC)

Next up...... Grim Fandango!!

29-07-2009, 14:01   #63
TanG411

Kirby's adventure for the NES and Bomberman '94 for the Turbografix
29-07-2009, 14:30   #64
TinCool

Not strictly retro, but I'm making my way through Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition on my laptop. I've also managed to get ScummVM working on my iPhone and playing my way through Fate of Atlantis. I must give The Dig a bash once I've finished FoA. I haven't played The Dig in years so no doubt I'll get stumped on some of the puzzles once you get in to the underground section.
29-07-2009, 14:39   #65
pinksoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty87 View Post
No but it was an amazingly useful idea, lets you play your megadrive in the sitting room without disrupting your housemates. they should build a modern portable Snes with a good battery life and screen. Any takers?
It's been done.

http://www.youtube.com/user/joedog86
Advertisement
29-07-2009, 15:53   #66
LIGHTNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksoir View Post
Thats exactly what I have been doing with my Dingoo, just started playing Syndicate on the snes. It actually works without a mouse, pretty good port from one of the best PC games of all time.
29-07-2009, 18:44   #67
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Syndicate on the Snes looks awful, the little guys with their bright coloured hair, much better are the PC/Amiga versions, even the Megadrive version is better, visulas darker.
Syndicate Wars on the PS1 also brilliant.
Have to say Bulldog released some truely great games, aside from HiOctane, that sucked.
I poured weeks into Magic Carpet, a fantastic game, well ahead of it's time, very atmospheric, excellent spells.
Nothing quite beats running a valley through your enemoes castle, or causing a volcano to erupt in the midst of his fortress, Mwa Ha HA!
29-07-2009, 18:58   #68
marty87
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksoir View Post
Wow, I am inspired!

Wonder how hard it will be to make it?
29-07-2009, 20:08   #69
LoGiE

Grabbed Secret of monkey island Special Edition and am loving it. I especially like the way you can switch between the original game and the new one at the push of a key. I would love if they did this with more of the SCUMM adventures
Advertisement
29-07-2009, 21:40   #70
LIGHTNING

Quote:
Syndicate on the Snes looks awful, the little guys with their bright coloured hair, much better are the PC/Amiga versions, even the Megadrive version is better, visulas darker.
Syndicate Wars on the PS1 also brilliant.
Have to say Bulldog released some truely great games, aside from HiOctane, that sucked.
I poured weeks into Magic Carpet, a fantastic game, well ahead of it's time, very atmospheric, excellent spells.
Nothing quite beats running a valley through your enemoes castle, or causing a volcano to erupt in the midst of his fortress, Mwa Ha HA!
Granted its not a patch on the PC version but its a lot better than I was expecting. Bullfrog were I`d say pound for pound produced the best games at that time, syndicate, theme hospital, magic carpet, dungeon keeper, populous,theme park.All of them are 94% games. Id say only origin came close in the 90`s.
30-07-2009, 00:17   #71
Kevster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangoz View Post
Indiana jones and the fate of atlantis (PC)
How far have you gotten in that? I remember playing that many years ago and got stuck at a place where Indi was standing amongst 12 pedestals that had illustrations of the signs of the zodiac on them. Do you know this part?
30-07-2009, 09:23   #72
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Origin split more folk with their games, given they released the Wing Commander games, now I liked them, but more folk found them irritating, especially the FMV of the last two games, but by then they were subsumed into EA, as were Bullfrog.
EA swallowed so many of the great programming talent from the 90's, I suppose there were good and bad features to that policy.
My fave dev's from back in the day have to be ID and Looking Glass, awesome stuff.
Flight Unlimited gave me more hours of pleasure than any other flight sim, and as for Doom, Quake and the rest, nuff said.
31-07-2009, 11:59   #73
Atavan-Halen
He Touched My Breast!!

G.Darius arrived this morning, so will probably be playing that for the next while
31-07-2009, 14:14   #74
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

Quote:
EA swallowed so many of the great programming talent from the 90's, I suppose there were good and bad features to that policy.
It was all bad actually and EA will even admit that since when they acquired Criterion and Digital Illusions they said they will do things differently by leaving them mostly to their own devices. They completely and utterly destroyed Bullfrog and Origin, after a year of being absorbed almost all of the original teams had left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavan-halen View Post
G.Darius arrived this morning, so will probably be playing that for the next while
Lucky you. Just make sure you understand the capture and beam battle mechanics.
31-07-2009, 14:25   #75
LIGHTNING

Quote:
Origin split more folk with their games, given they released the Wing Commander games, now I liked them, but more folk found them irritating, especially the FMV of the last two games, but by then they were subsumed into EA, as were Bullfrog.
My fave dev's from back in the day have to be ID and Looking Glass, awesome stuff.
Flight Unlimited gave me more hours of pleasure than any other flight sim, and as for Doom, Quake and the rest, nuff said.
Looking glass what a studio! They produced some of my all time favourite games. Terra Nova what a game! Squad based action game with top notch graphics way before anybody else was doing it. Let us not forget Thief and system shock. Origin are another one of my favs, Crusader No remorse is again in my top 20 games list.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion