Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-07-2009, 17:33   #46
Gummy Panda

Castlevania is amazing.

I remember my mother brought me into town and bought it for me. I had to wait to her and my sisters girly film was over to play it. A few months later it was my birthday and a got sanyo portable so I could play it all I wanted. Good times
Advertisement
25-07-2009, 17:37   #47
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummy Panda View Post
Btw, amazon are selling the roguelike Shiren for £6 on DS. Come on Retro, you know you want the frustration of a roguelike.
Hmm, never played a roguelike but retronauts are always on about that game. I'll have to give it a go some time.
26-07-2009, 13:33   #48
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

I must say the Megadrive version of Virtua Racing was a fave of mine for a long time, it was better than the Saturn version and somehow better than the arcade perfect version on the Sega Collection on the PS2, the best I have played, outside of the arcade anyhow, is the 32X edition, very good indeed.
26-07-2009, 13:53   #49
marty87
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummy Panda View Post
Castlevania is amazing.

A few months later it was my birthday and a got sanyo portable so I could play it all I wanted. Good times
Whats a sanyo portable?
26-07-2009, 15:28   #50
Gummy Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty87 View Post
Whats a sanyo portable?
A 14" TV. For some reason they were called portables when they weren't that portable

back to topic, I've been playing DQIV all day. Got to 4th chapter. I think my eyes are going to fall out. Good game but its got some grinding in it which I'm not entirely use to. In FF games, its more based on progress of story. DQ while good story has some parts which require walking around a dungeon hoping for random drops from mobs. In Super Taisen Robot or Persona its not bad since the fights are really good fun.

I think DQ suffers from your characters not having much abilities so you are just bashing the A button through boring fights which seem very slow as well. I think other games like Super Taisen Robot and FF get away with this due to highly stylised moves.

Its a good game but sometimes it pisses me off and i feel I have to drag myself through it.

Last edited by Gummy Panda; 26-07-2009 at 18:41.
Advertisement
26-07-2009, 18:52   #51
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty87 View Post
Whats a sanyo portable?
My gods, are we really that old or are they that young?

Personally I'm hoping they're joking, otherwise we'll get more of these questions, like...

What's a cassette?
What's an RF?
Who are Atari? Aren't they the guys that made Driver3, you mean they made consoles too!?
Sonic, isn't he only in crap games?

And so on...
26-07-2009, 20:27   #52
CCCP^

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
Who are Atari?
And so on...
Atari made http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_(video_game)

They made that cutscence. All Hail Atari.
26-07-2009, 22:12   #53
Bluehair

Currently playing BADLANDS;

It's one of the few games in Mame land that play as good today as I remembered. Brings back those addictive 'just one more go' feelings in spades
27-07-2009, 17:13   #54
o1s1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
Hmm, never played a roguelike but retronauts are always on about that game. I'll have to give it a go some time.
Ah here, and you give me stick for not having played Super Metroid?

Download Nethack, download it now! One of the best games ever made. And it's free.
The depth to is is just mind blowing. Not to mention the difficulty level. You're dead and that's it, back to the start with you, no amulet of yendor this time.

Actually, whatever you do, make sure you only play it is ASCII mode. And no savescumming.

Last edited by o1s1n; 27-07-2009 at 17:20.
Advertisement
27-07-2009, 17:31   #55
Red Sleeping Beauty
Subscriber

I was playing some MegaDrive while the Wimbledon was on. I got out Pete Sampras tennis and damn I couldn't play the feckin thing at all so I got frustrated and gave up. I remember a cheat or something where you could get big balls and stuff... coulnd't find it again.

At the minute I've got an N64 switched on and I'm ploughing through a few titles looking for a good 2player.
Looks like WrestleMania 2000 and Goldeneye will be the decider
27-07-2009, 23:22   #56
marty87
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
My gods, are we really that old or are they that young?

Personally I'm hoping they're joking, otherwise we'll get more of these questions, like...

What's a cassette?
What's an RF?
Who are Atari? Aren't they the guys that made Driver3, you mean they made consoles too!?
Sonic, isn't he only in crap games?

And so on...
Well Ciderman I just thought this was a snes version of the sega nomad or something, got me excited for a moment, is there actuallly any nintendo version? (I'm anticipating someone saying the gameboy but that is nothing like what the nomad is to megadrive)

I was always a mitubishi man myself when it came to tv's. I'm not that young I don't think? my first console was a snes though so I do often ask people " Sonic, isn't he only in crap games?"
28-07-2009, 09:39   #57
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Now now, 16 bit Sonic is great, no arguements, move along.
As for a Nintendo Portable, at least a portable version of their home consoles, I suppose they made far too much money reheating existing games for the handhelds, and anyway, the Gameboy was a monochrome NES, many of the games being slightly altered if at all from the home editions, Super Mario Bros on the Gameboy Color, Kirby on the GB, and the GBA seemed to play host to a huge number of Snes ports, again aside from a couple of modifications for the new button count and the smaller screen the games seemed to move over fairly painlessly, so you have the Super Mario Series and the rest.
At least Ninty did release "new" Snes games, the likes of Super Metroid Fusion for example.

But that I'd say is why they never made a portable version of the Snes, although the portable Megadrive, the Nomad, never set the world on fire now, did it?
28-07-2009, 09:55   #58
o1s1n

Quote:
although the portable Megadrive, the Nomad, never set the world on fire now, did it?
Bad marketing and battery life did that. Any time I ever mention it to anyone they go 'oh yeah, the Gamegear'.

'No I'm talking about a handheld you can slot Megadrive games directly in to and has a signal out that you can plug into your tv'

'WTF??? I want!'

A portable Snes with decent battery life would have sold truck loads.

As for Mitsubishi TVs, I have a lovely CRT one that I still play games on. Only problem is the remote has since broken and there is no way of tuning in on the TV. So I can't play my 2600 on it Only scart stuff for the moment.
Got a replacement remote and it does everything bar bringing up the station tune in menu. Any ideas?!
28-07-2009, 10:02   #59
Gummy Panda

Well I think I'm burnt out on DQIV. Can't seem to be bothered to do chapter 4 when I have better RPGs waiting to be played. I think it's the leveling of each character up from lv1 that puts me off. I like a choice of spells.
28-07-2009, 10:14   #60
Atavan-Halen
He Touched My Breast!!

I might give Time Crisis a go on PS. I'm in the mood for something arcadey
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size