Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

USI LGB Rights Officer not downgraded

Options
  • 06-04-2003 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,797 ✭✭✭✭

There was a proposal recently within the Union of Students of Ireland to downgrade all of its part time elected officers: being the womens rights officer, the disability rights officer, the envoronmental awareness officer, the postgraduate officer and the irish language officer, this proposal also suggested downgrading the LGB Rights officer which for the past two years has been a full time position.

You can find lots of info here on what exactly the USI LGB campaign does

http://www.usi.ie/campaigns/lgb.htm

http://www.usi.ie/campaigns/lgb%204.htm

http://www.usilgb.org/

Anyway the proposals were strongly fought by all of the officers and it ended up that only the Womens Rights Officer was downgraded to the chair of a working group. So Next year for the third year running we have a fulltime USI LGB rights officer.

I have to say personally the USI LGB campaign has helped me so much over the last year and it is there for all Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Students.

There are contact details for the LGB Rights Officer and the working group and various LGB societies in colleges around the country on the links above.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

From what I here from the UCC SU and LGB delegates there was really strong support across the board for the maintenance of the position of the LGB Rights Officer. Personally I would be more concerned with down-regulating Dissaibilities to Cahir of a Working Group though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,797 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

National congress happened, the only officership which was downgraded was the womens rights officer, There was a proposal to have a full time disability rights officer which although received a majority did not go through because it needs a 2/3rds majority

Yes I was at UCC there really was and is strong support within the LGB campaign and it is down to the dedication and hardwork of Iain Gill this years USI LGB Rights Officer

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement