Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Severe Thunderstorm July 25th/26th 1985

Options
  • 31-08-2005 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Looking at the weather today, I expected a re-run of that famous night in 1985 when Ireland was blitzed by lightning. It almost came off, as most of the Shannon region was hit today.

Anyone with memories of that famous night? I would love to hear them! Please post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Yeah, I do. Remember it well, in fact.

All that day the sky had been threatening thunderstorms. The sky was one of those hazy dark grey colour schemes, kind of similar to what we had this afternoon here in Portlaoise, actually, and it was woeful dead and heavy all day long. My whole family had been out on my grandfather's farm that day as they were bringing in some of the hay and we were helping out. When we came back into the house for our tea about 6/6.30, the sky started to get even darker than it had been all day. By the time we left the farm and were driving back home into town the place was nearly pitch black and this was only at about 9 o' clock. On the way home in the car the lightning started and scared the shíte out of myself and my little sister. The thunder and lightning that night was the worse I have ever seen in this country and I'll never forget it.

Though as I recall, and correct me somebody if I'm wrong here, but didn't we actually have a few bad days of thunderstorms then, it wasn't just the one night? I seem to remember it going on for a couple of days at least around here anyway. Not continuously, but it seemed that we'd get some thunder and lightning at some stage every day for a few days at that time. I seem to recall the whole thing lasting across the country for nearly a week or something and remember seeing spectacular pictures on the news of the lightning different parts of the country were getting on different nights over that period and pictures of ESB crews having to repair lines all over the place. I do remember the weather forecasters saying something about it being one of the most unusual weather patterns we'd ever seen in this country, some kind of thundery weather system that seemed to have almost "parked" itself, for want of a better word, right over the country and stayed over us and stayed intensely active for several days. Am I right in thinking all that happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I don't know about it lasting for a few days, as I was quite young. However, I do remember a similar night, though not as severe on September 30th in 1985.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I remember it vividly. I was ten and my father had left for America the previous day, he was going to be working there for six weeks and it was the first time I he was away from home for so long. The storms started that night and I'll never forget it, even my mother was terrified, we were all in her bed. And ye..they went on for a couple of days. I remember because we couldnt answer the fone, my father hadn't a clue what was going on, had been trying to get in touch with us for almost three days.

fraky freaky freaky. Is one of my more vivid childhood memories..and I'm still terrified of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

yeah saw this thread and had to post.
    I was eleven. My uncle was driving my brother and sister and me home from my cousins house in kilkenny city. Think my grandma was in the car too. If anyone knows the road to callan. theres a patch of road before cuffesgrange that had just been put in at the time. No ditches on the road to block your view. I remember thinking that i couldn't look anywhere 360 degrees around me without seeing a lightning strike. Like i couldnt avoid seeing multiple strikes everywhere for the whole trip from kilkenny to callan. thats about 15 mins. It was _that_ active. Truly unforgettable and very scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

I remember it well.
    Myself and my sister were daring each other to go out and sit on the swing.
    I was getting a bit brave and stayed on the swing pretending i wasnt scared.
    Next thing the tree at the end of the garden exploded with the loudest bang i ever heard in my life.
    I didnt pretend anymore.
    Straight to bed and under the covers.

• Advertisement

Wonder will we ever see the likes again?

Does it go down as the worst thunderstorm ever in Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Does anyone know if Ireland ever had a super cell storm? Ive never heard of it happening in my lifetime and we really dont have the conditions nessecary but still freak weather does happen! Anyone any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Posts merged with this thread
    darkman2 wrote:
    Does anyone know if Ireland ever had a super cell storm? Ive never heard of it happening in my lifetime and we really dont have the conditions nessecary but still freak weather does happen! Anyone any idea?
    July 15/16th 1985,there was a supercell over Dublin,frequent lightning and went on all of the night.Flooding,power outages the works.Actually it was documented on the news the next day on RTE and talked about for a long time.Still comes up in the odd conversation from a few people.

It was forecasted too by Gerald Fleming with his stick pointing at the old chart on the wall.I have been to a good few places on the planet a saw a lot of storms and in fairness nothing has come close to this and it was in my back yard nor did i see the likes of it since here.Frightning stuff i might add.

Snowbie wrote:
    July 15/16th 1985,there was a supercell over Dublin,frequent lightning and went on all of the night.Flooding,power outages the works.Actually it was documented on the news the next day on RTE and talked about for a long time.Still comes up in the odd conversation from a few people.

It was forecasted too by Gerald Fleming with his stick pointing at the old chart on the wall.I have been to a good few places on the planet a saw a lot of storms and in fairness nothing has come close to this and it was in my back yard nor did i see the likes of it since here.Frightning stuff i might add.
    Try walking from Croke park to Goatstown in the middle of that.
    I was at the simple minds concert:o
    It's rare that you see power outages from lightning in Dublin.The forks were coming down all over the place.
    They looked fantastic as we passed RTÉ.
    It only started to rain just as we got to the door and boy did it pour - all night and all the next day!
    That had been a hot day in dublin - possibly high 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Can't see much here atm Tristrame, alot of low cloud around. For some reason, I nearly always get hit with alot of showers in a North-Westerly flow. Hopefully the same this time.
    The outlook for today is pretty good alright!
    http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13916&posts=20
    There was a big long thread about the Northern Ireland supercell last year on UKWW but i can't find it. Here's a pic on torro
    http://www.torro.org.uk/TORRO/php/photo.php?photo_id=454&start=0
    EDIT: found that thread
    http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3554&start=1

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:

ERM......I know it happened but you must have your dates mixed up:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1985/Rrea00219850715.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1985/Rrea00119850715.gif

Those charts definately would not produce large thunderstorms and Tristame, if it is the correct date, there is no way temperatures were even in the high teens never mind the high twenties:eek: I think the dates are mixed up. It must have been a different date.:rolleyes:

darkman2 wrote:

Those charts definately would not produce large thunderstorms and Tristame, if it is the correct date, there is no way temperatures were even in the high teens never mind the high twenties:eek: I think the dates are mixed up. It must have been a different date.:rolleyes:

Right DM,its defo July as my brother got a dog for his birthday and thats the 10th,(but maybe we picked it up on the 15th).Try around the week after the 10th.
    Like its only 22years ago,please forgive mine and Tristrame's memory,were not as young as you.:p
    or else if Tristrame remembers the concert date he went too ahem SIMPLE MINDS,should be exact then.

google simple minds croke park that should do it.

It was 1986 snowbie that I remember and it was towards the end of june and it was the day before the world cup final of that year iirc so theres a better google.

More likely it was 86 looking at the charts. Specifically toward the end of June between the 26th and 30th would have been very hot:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1986/Rrea00219860627.gif

I will take a guess and say the 27th?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1986/Rrea00119860627.gif

Seems most likely to me:rolleyes: :confused:

If saturday was the 28th-then it was saturday the 28th
    The first forked lightning could be seen behind croke park at about 10 pm as the concert was ending.
    It took us about 2 hrs to walk from there to goatstown in booming thunder and lightning but no rain.
    The street lights were going on and off and the rain just started as we turned up the street to home 2 hrs into the storm.
    It went on all night and the next day was just a flood of rain with the thunder gone.

This would have been the nightime chart for the 28th - we dont see charts like that too often.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1986/Rrea00119860629.gif

Remember the 1986 storm but this one in 1985 was much severe in nature.
    Trying to get an archive of this and google it and came up with this.
    Anyone can remember their favourite thunderstorm?
    The worst thunderstorm I was caught in was in Dublin on the 24th August 1990. I remember going through the North Circular Road and it was getting so dark that office lights and some street lights were switched on. I was going to Aughrim Street Church at the time to a funeral and as soon as the funeral started, the thunder started at 5:45. The thunder after no time got so loud and violent that it was practically shaking the church and the lightning was lighting up inside. There were people running into the church after five minutes and they looked like drowned rats. I left the church at 6:30 and the rain had eased off at that stage but the thunder was still rumbling. The road at Aughrim Street had turned from bone dry to a torrent that was nearly level with the pavement in 45 minutes. Going across the north city back to Donnycarney, I was encountering floods up to the bonnets of cars, particularly near Fitzgibbon Street. On getting back to Donnycarney, I heard that one house had a lucky escape when lightning hit the back garden (I think it was the clothes line). The thunder was over at that stage when I got back to Donnycarney. I think for most Dublin people, the thunderstorm on the night of the 25th-26th July 1985 would be the storm of the century. I would love to hear more stories and did anyone ever capture a good lightning picture in Ireland?
    Dm try look up these dates the 25/26th july 1985.
    Got it confirmed that it was july 1985,now ill try look up an archive from somewhere that has a story bout this storm.

darkman2 wrote:

July 25th and July 26th 1985 are the dates in question! Never ever will I forget that storm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Snowbie wrote:
    Remember the 1986 storm but this one in 1985 was much severe in nature.
    Trying to get an archive of this and google it and came up with this.

Dm try look up these dates the 25/26th july 1985.
    Got it confirmed that it was july 1985,now ill try look up an archive from somewhere that has a story bout this storm.
    26th
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1985/Rrea00119850726.gif
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1985/Rrea00219850726.gif
    Couldn't find much on the event but this mentions severe weather in Northern Ireland on the 25/26. It's number 32 on the list
    http://www.essl.org/ECSS/2002/att2-abstracts.pdf

trogdor wrote:
    26th
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1985/Rrea00119850726.gif
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1985/Rrea00219850726.gif
    Couldn't find much on the event but this mentions severe weather in Northern Ireland on the 25/26. It's number 32 on the list
    http://www.essl.org/ECSS/2002/att2-abstracts.pdf
    Yout first link shows a plume being avected northwards from spain,making it very humid and thundery.This air also crossed the bay of biscay area and took up a lot of moisture.Now with a shallow stationary LP sitting on top of a hot land with conditions already favourable to the development of storms,a severe outbreak occured.

I never knew the extent of these storms as per the above posts,but a definite MCS(mesoscale convective system) formed probably engulfing most of the island and even with supercell characteristics which is very rare in this part of the world.Makes it such a unique event and probably once in a lifetime event.
    Frequent lightning,large hail with more than likely several funnels and probably a touchdown somewhere.
    Actually it was a terrifying experience and etched on my memory for life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Simple Minds played Croke Park in 1986.

I remember a violent thunderstorm in 1986. Pretty sure it was the night of the France vs Brazil World Cup quarter final. No electricity so missed it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember the storm of 85, it went on for about 24 hours, I was 9 years old and back then didnt appreciate cool weather and was absolutely terrified. I remember it been very hot and sunny leading up to the event itself and there was alot of rain with it. I vaguely remember something on the news the morning after saying that in county Kildare that they had severe hail with it that killed birds and smashed car windows etc. The night of the storm we all had to move bedrooms to the opposite end of the house (away form a huge tv aerial) coz we thought it wud get stuck by lightning and fall, it really was that bad. I have never seen remotely the likes of this storm since. Its one of the 3 big storms that I remember in my lifetime, the other 2 were the famous snow of 1982 and the other was Hurricane Charlie I think in 1986, note that these 3 events covered a short 4 year period in the mid 80s. Look how boring our weather has become over past 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

great reply gonzo. yeah the snow of '82. we had to dig ourselves out of the front door.

Found more on the july event plus more.This is massive but is a brilliant read.Enjoy:)
    5.3: Dublin's Most Severe Thunderstorms

5.3.1: Thunderstorm and snow, 21 November 1977 (an example of a 'winter' thunderstorm): This was the time I learnt to spell 'thunderstorm', and boy, did I never forget to afterwards. For I was terrified! It was my first experience of thunder and it happened late at night. It woke me from my sleep. I screamed and cowered under the bed sheets at every rumble of thunder as I was only 6 years old.

But God had also been good to us in a wonderful way, because the following morning came (I was almost afraid to look out the window because of the storm), IT HAD SNOWED! The thunderstorm had brought a heavy prolonged shower of snow, giving 3 or 4 inches by morning. This was an almost unheard of event for Dublin in November! I later found out that the temperature had dropped to -5C at Casement that morning. We had a day off school and lots of fun, but most of the snow had melted by the following day.

5.3.2: The Mount Merrion Thunderstorm of 11 June 1963 (a 'home-brew' thunderstorm in a south-easterly continental air mass): Reading an old copy of the Irish Times for 11 June 1963 is quite interesting. The main headline refers to the forthcoming visit of President J.F. Kennedy to Ireland, and the possibility that phone lines may be jammed during his visit (due to the FBI taking over the GPO, I presume). This is also some comment on the recent 'Profumo' affair in London. In a small corner on the front page is the day's weather forecast, reading "Another warm and sunny day, but isolated thunderstorms will break out in Munster later" or words to that effect. Not too bad a forecast for 1963....

Of course, later that day many Dubliners experienced their worst storm in living memory, when a violent thunderstorm over the Mount Merrion district deposited 184mm (7.5 inches) of rain in just a few hours, with 3.5 inches of this falling in one hour. It is quite possible that well over 200mm fell in an area where there were no rain gauges, indeed estimates of up to 235mm (9 inches) have been quoted. There was also violent thunder and lightning.

Back then I wasn't even a glint in my father's eye, for I was not born until 1971. But I have interviewed and talked to many people about that famous day (including my father), and they all have their own story to tell. It is quite remarkable that no-one was killed during the storm, for many people lost their possessions and had their homes badly flooded.

Synoptic details: A slack south-easterly airflow covered Ireland as an occluded front approached from the south-west. The previous few days had seen glorious sunshine and temperatures reaching 23-26C inland across central Ireland, although Dublin city was cooler with an onshore easterly sea-breeze, keeping temperatures at 18 or 19C.

The 11th June started similar, but by lunchtime large cumulonimbus clouds had gathered over the Mount Merrion district. These were seen clearly by golfers in Howth on the northside of Dublin, which completely escaped the storm deluge. They wondered what the fuss was all about when they got home. However, between 1 and 2pm, 85mm of rain fell at 10 Maher Road North, Mount Merrion (measured by Mr. D. Coleman). A further 100mm fell in his gauge over the following 2 to 3 hours. Rainfall isohyets indicate that the centre of the storm rainfall may have been just to the west of Mount Merrion (perhaps even over Clonskeagh), where as much as 235mm could have fallen. There are of course many accounts of the flooding - I have been told innumerable stories, of which a few include:

Rainwater raced down Goatstown hill, and backed up against a large 6 foot high granite wall at the rear of O'Briens farm. The water grew higher and higher, eventually bursting through the wall (like a damn bursting), causing water and debris to race across O'Briens front field. To this day, you can still see the huge boulder (several tonnes weight) lying in the middle of O'Briens garden (no longer a farm) left there by the massive flood.
    My father remembers the little Dargle river (normally just a pathetic stream, if even flowing) flooding to perhaps 6 feet in depth, making the Goatstown Road impassable.
    Prof. Gordon Herries-Davies of Trinity College told me of being unable to return home that evening due to the flood. Water was gushing down the embankment at Columnbanus (Milltown) into the river Dodder at such a rate that it looked just like a huge waterfall, several hundred yards wide. There was more water in this single outflow than in the whole river Dodder itself (which drains from Bohernabreena where between only 40 and 50mm of rain was recorded).
    Mr. Douglas Gordon of Dundrum saw ball lightning bouncing along the ground in Monkstown and may actually have been hit by lightning himself!
    For my undergraduate dissertation at Trinity College in 1992, I decided to measure the temperature pattern of Dublin city using mobile traverses. Some of my suspicions were confirmed when I discovered that horizontal temperature gradients of up to 8C per km can occur when certain weather situations develop. Warm residual fohn air tends to back up behind Mount Merrion hill in south-easterly airflows. The cold sea-breeze often overrides this warm air from the north-east, but usually fails. But could it have overran sufficiently on 11 June 1963 to cause massive surface layer instability over the Mount Merrion district?

Meanwhile, the Irish Times of 12 June 1963 makes even better than the day before. On the front page there are full accounts of the magnificent storm, together with photos of hundreds of buses and cars stranded at Merrion Gates, Sandymount. Unfortunately, there is no weather report - for the duty meteorologist himself was stranded by the floods and unable to come into the Irish Times office to draw the midday chart! (all weather maps were drawn by hand in those days).

An absolutely amazing and truly remarkable coincidence is that on the exact 30th anniversary of the Mount Merrion thunderstorm, that being 11 June 1993, Dublin experienced yet another massive deluge - with upwards of 110mm falling, making it the second wettest day of the century, runner-up only to 11 June 1963. I was there on that latter event, armed with my rain gauge! In a later section I have written a full account of that latter day.

References:

W.A. Morgan, The Mount Merrion Thunderstorm, Irish Met. Service Publication (1963)

Graham, E, The Urban Heat Island of Dublin City, Irish Geography (1993)

5.3.3: The Storms of 25/26 July 1985: (This is an example of a 'home-brew' thunderstorm which formed on the boundary between humid continental air and fresher Atlantic air. The storms occurred at night and were probably caused by very rapid forced frontal uplifting). They are probably the most severe in times of lightning and continuous thunder that I have ever experienced. There were repeated cloud to ground lightning strikes throughout the night with continuous loud thunder for several hours. Up to 400 strikes per hour were later estimated to have occurred. The storm gave the impression that it would move away for 5 or 10 minutes before returning again. I was terrified (age 14) that night and prayed and prayed that the storm would just move away for good, but it didn't - it kept coming back again and again. Of course, I now realise that it was a series of different storms moving north-east along a trailing cold front and it was not the same storm repeatedly returning.

At about 5am, as the last of the cells moved away, I was brave enough to peek out the window. I saw a blaze of red and orange shimmering lights across the city, from what I presumed to be hundreds of fires caused by the lightning. The 6 o'clock news the following evening reported these storms as being the worst for 50 years (in terms of lightning and thunder). Charlie Bird showed a report from county Kildare where there were thousands of crows killed by large hailstones. Many of the hailstones were still lying in ditches on the side of the road.

5.3.4: 27 to 30 June 1986 (These storms formed in similar circumstances to the storms of 25/26 July 1985): After the storms of the previous July, we thought we had had our share and we would be spared from further violence for another 50 years. That was not to be the case, as an unusual airflow at the end of June 1986 brought several days of violent thunderstorms to be Dublin region. Although none of the storms were individually as severe as the overnight storm of 25/26 July of the previous year, it was the 4 or more continuous days of thunder that was the most surprising. Local downpours of up to 3 inches (75mm) accompanied the storms. Two lightning bolts hit within 100 metres of my parent's house on Laburnum Road, Clonskeagh. I also discovered that the shetland pony in the field beside us was hit and probably killed by lightning. During one of the evenings, another thunderstorm (but with no rain) was coincidental with a concert given by 'Simple Minds' at Croke Park in Dublin. At Clonskeagh, there was an amazing combination of distant loud music mixed with occasional thunder. It was also the same evening of the first Dublin-Belfast Co-operation-North maracycle.

5.3.5: 24 August 1990 (another 'home-brew' storm formed on the boundary between humid and fresher airmasses) : This was a much shorter storm compared to the examples above, lasting no more than one hour or so. It occurred at about 6:00pm on the day in question, which was at the end of a long and humid spell. I was just finishing my job at 'Spar' supermarket in Milltown that evening, but I was unable to leave for home at 6:00pm due to torrential rain and the fairly frequent thunder. After about 20 minutes waiting, I made a dash for it on my bicycle down Milltown hill. What I noticed then surprised me, for at the bottom of Milltown hill, only 100 metres or so away from where I had been waiting for 20 minutes, it was completely dry! The only evidence of water was from were the torrents of runoff flowing from the top of Milltown hill where I had been delayed! When I got home to Laburnum Road at about 6:30pm, my parents wondered what had delayed me - they did not believe I had to spend 20 minutes sheltering from the rain, for it was bone dry in Clonskeagh also. Eventually however, the rain started to pour down in Laburnum Road also, giving about 18mm in less than an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

That was a great read, thanks snowbie. Where did you find it and I didn't know meteireann published reports on individual events?

No it wasnt published by met.ie,it is an account of a bloke who now is a meterologist growing up and experiencing weather in Dublin during his lifetime,except for the 1963 event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Snowbie wrote:
    No it wasnt published by met.ie,it is an account of a bloke who now is a meterologist growing up and experiencing weather in Dublin during his lifetime,except for the 1963 event.
    W.A. Morgan, The Mount Merrion Thunderstorm, Irish Met. Service Publication (1963)
    I meant the above reference, do they sell these books in glasnevin?

Probably,i dont know rc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is one of my very earliest memories. My brother was born at the time (his 21st was the other day) and my mother was in hospital with him.

At home I remember lightning came in on the phone line, blow the phone off the hall. I'm form a farming background and my dad says it was possible to count animals in the fields during the storm at night as the lightning was so bright!
    Don't we have had anything near as exciting or terrfiying since :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Oh wow, I remember the thunder snowstorm, it was my first one as well, but I didn't know when it was. I was living half way up a tower block in Ballymun at the time and it was very scary. For some reason I remember the sound of trees falling over - don't ask why - could have been a door creaking somewhere in it.

Weirdly enough, I don't remember the 85 storm!!! I do remember the 86 one, though, as it kept us awake all night and there were two hits in our part of the Mun. Scary as hell. I remember how hot an humid it was that evening before it started and looking out at the lightning jumping across the sky.

Advertisement