Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

snow talk

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

on the precip charts, what do the triangles beside the snow symbol indicate?

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

what does the -35 represent in this chart?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mind you Sunday wouldnt be termed as mild :D:D
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn16817.html
    Enough of it you doubters it's here till next Saturday or Sunday
    whether you like it or not :D

Felixdhc wrote:
    on the precip charts, what do the triangles beside the snow symbol indicate?
    That the precipitation are showers or convection :)

LFCFan wrote:
    what does the -35 represent in this chart?
    The temperature at 500hpa so about 2-3 miles above us
    although im not quite sure of the exact height ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Earthman wrote:

I like that dewpoint-

Dewpoint now -4C, air temp falling, down to 4C

The issue I have is that pressure is high at 1023mb at moment. is this forecast to drop much?, because at that pressure precipitation levels are more likely to remain low.

Mothman wrote:
    Dewpoint now -4C, air temp falling, down to 4C

The issue I have is that pressure is high at 1023mb at moment. is this forecast to drop much?, because at that pressure precipitation levels are more likely to remain low.
    The pressure wont drop much although that wont hinder things
    too much i dont think. Varying between 1015hpa and 1025hpa
    throughout the week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The tempritures on that sunday chart you posted are a little on the high side when it comes to snow weathercheck. anything above 3 degrees tends mostly to be rain.

as for what the -35 degrees i think it is the tempriture at a certain height in the atmosphere.

those charts with the -35 are better for seeing wind direction than ground tempritures.

what exactly is the dew point the dew point at shannon is -1C

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/03962.html

Nope not really Billy. Snowfall generally has little to do with ground temperature
    obviously it will ly better if it's colder and if there are showers the
    temperature will drop. But the atmosphere will be very cold and
    it will cool down the surface very quickly during precipitation :)

The likes of 3 and 4c are the predicted maxima :)

• Advertisement

yeah ok but what exactly is "dew point"

has there been changes for the worse in the charts? - Just reading through net-weather and seems to be a lot of negativity about, although they are the same individuals that are normally negative. Just wondering though!

Felixdhc wrote:
    has there been changes for the worse in the charts? - Just reading through net-weather and seems to be a lot of negativity about, although they are the same individuals that are normally negative. Just wondering though!

bit of a flamewar going on over there . wouldnt pay too much heed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Dew Point:
    When the air temperature meets the dew point, condensation will occur !
    So if the air temperature is 12degs and the dew point is 7degs, it will have to drop to 7 degrees for condensation to occur.

Another interesting thing about the dew point is that you can calculate approximate cloud base using the difference of the air temperature and dew point and multiplying it by 400 to get your answer in feet. As above the cloud base would be 2000ft approximately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

yeah ok but what exactly is "dew point"

It's the temperature at which the air would be saturated of water vapour if it was cooled down and no change in the amount of water vapour occured.

A low dewpoint relative to air temp indicates dry air. The relative humidty today got down to 46%, lowest of year.

And if a better more easily understood explanation is posted ,I'll gladly delete this. Technical explanations are not my strong point. :)

Dewpoint here has stabilised at -4C

bit of a flamewar going on over there . wouldnt pay too much heed to it.

reckon so.

These forums have replaced me asking my mother every winter growing up - do they look like snow clouds? Used to get her to go to the back door to have a look! :)

so hypethetically speaking if the tempriture is below three degrees how low does the dewpoint have to be to guarantee snow.

@ billy the squid

-1 me thinks

According to metcheck, there should be snow falling in West Galway, West Clare and around Tralee.

Anyone there to confirm?

• Advertisement

according to this the low tempritures are there.

3.8c and mostly cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Anyone watching the Newcastle and Chelsea match would have seen some serious snow, heavy prolonged showers.

There better be the same in Carlow this week or I won't be a happy camper.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/ more details...

still unsure, could be rain, could be snow??? What the hell?

irish1 wrote:
    Anyone watching the Newcastle and Chelsea match would have seen some serious snow, heavy prolonged showers.

There better be the same in Carlow this week or I won't be a happy camper.

Get a few sticks of dynamite and blast the Wicklow Mountains out of the way, they will hinder Carlow chances of snow. IMO. :rolleyes:

Danno wrote:
    Get a few sticks of dynamite and blast the Wicklow Mountains out of the way, they will hinder Carlow chances of snow. IMO. :rolleyes:

better chance when the easterlies come in tomorrow though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hrmm...

I know its an old wives tale, but the sky here in Ardee, Co. Louth is bright red as the sun is setting. There are a few dark looking clouds, but I really am not convinced we're going to get the pasting of snow ye are all talking about.

Of course, you must bear in mind that I know absolutely nothing about weather forecasting.

I see from the sat images that the front is starting to pep up off the west coast, so it is a forming feature.

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/products/SATELLITE/US058SCOM-IMGatp.ATL_RAIN_MERC.gif is blacked out over Ireland, but it should be a good link for next update later, and to monitor rain falling outside of the shannon radar limits...

Excellent forecast on RTE1!

The snow symbol over Laois for three charts! Tonight, Morning and afternoon!

However, what was "Certainly a possibility of snow showers in the eastern half..." :D

• Advertisement

The Irish metO are starting to get round to the point :)

Have to leave now back for the real business in an hour or two :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement