Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk today revealed its new weekday schedule, which will start on 31st August.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

godtabh wrote: »

Me too (pardon the pun). Back to RTÉ with me or even TippFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Me as well.
    Kelly and Coleman for breakfast will simply be unbearable.

Pat Kenny and possibly Moncrieff are all thats left on NT now and even now I find Moncrieff has had his day!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

O Dear, I don't mind Shane Coleman but Ciara "I'm a Doctor you know" Kelly is insufferable, Newstalks Breakfast has gone from bad to worse in recent years, Paul Williams being the worst presenter in the history of presenting, just awful

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭RINO87

Fairly underwhelming alright....

Funny you mention Moncrieff - Used to be an avid listener but it has gone awful stale. Its no longer fun, its just condescending.
    In my opinion....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Washout

i think i will go ahead and remove Newstalk form the presets now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I know all of you are saying you won’t be “listening” anymore but, forgive me if, I have my doubts.

In fact, I can see the, various, threads covering Newstalk shows getting even heavier “traffic” after this change.

The tide is turning…

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Dempo1 wrote: »
    O Dear, I don't mind Shane Coleman but Ciara "I'm a Doctor you know" Kelly is insufferable, Newstalks Breakfast has gone from bad to worse in recent years, Paul Williams being the worst presenter in the history of presenting, just awful

How could it have gone from bad to worse If Paul Williams was the worst?

Surely Kieran Cuddihy coming in made it better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

It's just another step toward Total Wokeness as a station. No contrary voices welcome.

On a positive note, Andrea Gilligan is about the only presenter I can stomach on the station, so I might tune in to her on the lunch time show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Ciara Kelly's stand in a couple of weeks ago was excellent, lady with a Donegal accent I think. Such an easy listening voice and you could tell she wasn't trying to whip up woke hysteria. Coleman and Kelly will destroy each other at least. Not a fan of Andrea Gilligan, voice to harsh for radio listening. Newstalk is floundering as the years go by. Much more enjoyable local stations there now without an angle to push on you..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Washout wrote: »
    i think i will go ahead and remove Newstalk form the presets now
    Pat Kenny is still better than Tubridy for that hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

UsBus wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly's stand in a couple of weeks ago was excellent, lady with a Donegal accent I think.

I believe that was Ciara Doherty. Decent presenter alright.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

FFS, I always switched to Spotify for the Ciara Kelly show now my morning radio will be ruined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've avoided Breakfast ever since the current line up began as the "banter bloke" vibe is just appalling for that hour of the day. However Ciara (TM) Kelly is worse again - never listen to her show bar the odd moment.

Andrea Gilligan is okay as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Mav11 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is still better than Tubridy for that hour.

True...one (strict) hour of Newstalk now for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I never listen to the breakfast show as Morning Ireland is such a well-oiled current affairs machine.

Going to give Kieran Cuddihy a chance on The Hard Shoulder, despite not knowing much about the dude. Always found Hook and Yates a refreshing alternative to Mary Wilson and Matt Cooper, so hopefully that will remain the case.

Very happy that Pat Kenny isn't going anywhere; he's the finest current affairs broadcaster working in Ireland, and has been for very many years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They've made both the breakfast show and the drivetime show infinitely worse. Spotify will be getting a good workout if I'm stuck for something to listen to at those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

RINO87 wrote: »
    Fairly underwhelming alright....

Funny you mention Moncrieff - Used to be an avid listener but it has gone awful stale. Its no longer fun, its just condescending.
    In my opinion....

Yeah, have to agree. Used to listen a good bit but anytime I dip in now he seems to revel in replying sarcastically to texts.Seems very tetchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭koutoubia

UsBus wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly's stand in a couple of weeks ago was excellent, lady with a Donegal accent I think. Such an easy listening voice and you could tell she wasn't trying to whip up woke hysteria.
    Ciara Doherty.
    She presents Ireland:AM on Virgin tv.
    Good presenter with no agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Yates is a huge loss - again! Cuddihy is OK but I can't really imagine him holding his own for 3 hours drive time every day. It'll be a very different kind of show. I struggle with Andrea Gilligan. I think it's the accent which I know is harsh but on radio that counts for a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Cuddihy is good and I think he'll relish the new show.

Kelly would need to tone down the "I'm a doctor, My family is this, my friend is that, I know a whatever" and maybe she will as the lunchtime show sort of suited that.

I agree Moncrief has got stale - maybe he needs to reinvent the show and change the format.

But like any changes, people will huff and bluff, but we'll probably get used to it. - They could have brought Paul Williams back! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I like Ciara Kelly, but I really hated the lunchtime show, I dont mind a strong view but I felt there was too much stretching things out and begging for calls. Not a fan of Angela Gilligan either, no real issue just not a fan.

I like Kieran Cuddihy, I think he'll be good, but I think for the first few weeks that will have all the usual suspects on to bolster him, which will be good.

I used to hate Pat Kenny, never listened to him and hated him on TV, but now I never miss his show and always catch up on the segments online. He is just great at what he does and I hope he stays for another few years. I didn't mnd Martin that's sitting in at the moment, but he seems to have no opinion at all!

I gave up listening to the breakfast a long time ago, no idea who's on it now. Morning Ireland Only. Used to love the Market watch guy on from 6:30 till 7.

All in all it's a weak line up, I think they need to attract more new faces .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

I think that's overall a good move by Newstalk. Andrea Gilligan is good and well worth the promotion to the Lunchtime slot. She will be a serious alternative to whoever replaces Claire on RTE. Kieran Cuddihy has really developed in the last couple of years. He could put up a serious current affairs alternative in the Drivetime slot. Ivan and before him George made the show too much personality based rather than content based. Kieran doesn't have that profile baggage and should instead focus on content. I think they are two excellent moves.

The only disappointment is the breakfast show. I don't mind Shane Coleman but he needs a strong Current affairs co-host to complement his business strengths and make the most of that slot. That's not Ciara Kelly. I presume she must have a iron cast contract with them because it's baffling how she kept a daily gig. She can talk about nothing but health issues. She has zero interest in current affairs, business, sport etc. There's a place for her on weekends with a 2 hour Alive and Kicking segment but two hours every day of health and wellbeing was just unsustainable. You could tune in to the first hour on Monday skip to the second hour on Friday and you wouldn't realise you missed 4 days. They needed to move her back to weekends. Moving her to mornings means they have clearly decided to write off that slot against Morning Ireland and just hope they can win people back with Pat coming on an hour earlier than Sarah/Claire.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Touts,

without knocking the woman, I was thinking the same thing. But she may surprise us. She will have to be on the ball (sorry) to get through a Breakfast show that is mainly news items, not personal crusades. Let's wait and see. Although with my cynical hat on I think it is a gender balancing thing now.

Andrea Gilligan is good, but I am very sad to say that her accent just grates on my brain. Sorry Andrea.

Wish them all well, and we'll see how it works. Very glad to see that Gavan Reilly stays in the Sunday slot. It's a good quick moving slot and a great foil for the droner on RTE BOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Was half expecting Cagney to be given the Hard Shoulder slot for the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Guffy

Thank f*ck Yates is gone. Useless presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Thank the lord yates is gone.

A right dose - unfunny and boring

Cuddihy has a very low bar there to benchmark himself against. I’ll give him a try.

As for the rest of the schedule a total no from me except of course the still reigning king of current affairs Pat Kenny who is still the best current affairs presenter on Irish airwaves and probably the best ever

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Guffy wrote: »
    Thank f*ck Yates is gone. Useless presenter

Completely. An unprofessional chancer who was indulged by dinny O’Brien.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I like Ciara Kelly, but I really hated the lunchtime show, I dont mind a strong view but I felt there was too much stretching things out and begging for calls. Not a fan of Angela Gilligan either, no real issue just not a fan.

For a show like that that's what's needed. It's all about getting people ringing in, and not ringing in to Joe Duffy instead.

I think the job Kelly did there will be different to anything she does on the breakfast show as the stretching things out and begging for calls were what was needed.

As for how Kelly gets on it'll be interesting to see. She was one of the very few media people to challenge the narrative on the Cervical Check scandal. She was dead right about grandstanding by politicians and media on that issue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Excellent news. I won't need to turn off the radio at lunch time anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

What were the figures like for the Lunchtime Live show with Kelly presenting it. I thought the last I saw she was celebrating a growth in listenership?

Advertisement