Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any sports psychologists on the forum??

• 24-07-2020 9:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Well.

Are there?

Sat in a sports psych lecture couple years back.

In the short time and concise material covered, it was fascinating - simply cause, well, it covered so perfectly concepts I didn't even know were recognized by academia.

Flow states - ".... it's like I got oil in my arm....".

Pfff, Paul Newman and George Scott really killed it back 1960.

So, any sports psychs among us?

Work with pro-athletes, or your local witch-doctor level?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Don't think we've any here. You'll find a few on Twitter alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Don't think we've any here. You'll find a few on Twitter alright.

Recommendations/names?

Those old school pool/poker hustling games - I mean, I don't gamble and never had interest in it, but I mention that genre specifically because the other memorable quote relevant to this area comes from "High Rollers, Stu Unger Story".

"....these cats never realized, this wasn't just a poker game, this was a people game..."

I mean that's essentially what Newman/Scott are referring to in "The Hustler" and "The Color of Money" also.

Sports psychology - I honestly know nothing more about it than what I heard in a 90 minute lecture, but I'd be interested to hear how it overlaps with regular psychology for this very reason.

Regular psychology apparently, is people who are basically having relationship difficulties.... 'n stuff; as far as I know.

"... the people game...."

I doubt they characterized their form of therapy in potential sports terms but, if a sports psychologist could clarify that, that would be cool.

So yeah, throw some names at me and I'll twitter bomb them with a link for this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

After the session, Ayrton will describe the pole-position lap as a sub-conscious experience — that he was “driving the car by a kind of instinct, only in a different dimension…well beyond my conscious understanding.”

Ayrton Senna.

https://sfcriga.com/ayrton-senna-and-his-legendary-monaco-88-qualifying-lap

I know someone who works as an engineer and he has an experience where he felt for a few seconds he has merged with the calculations he was doing.

I would say it's not an uncommon experience for people who have complete mastery over what they are doing probably from years of experience.

mariaalice wrote: »
    After the session, Ayrton will describe the pole-position lap as a sub-conscious experience — that he was “driving the car by a kind of instinct, only in a different dimension…well beyond my conscious understanding.”

Ayrton Senna.

https://sfcriga.com/ayrton-senna-and-his-legendary-monaco-88-qualifying-lap

I know someone who works as an engineer and he has an experience where he felt for a few seconds he has merged with the calculations he was doing.

I would say it's not an uncommon experience for people who have complete mastery over what they are doing probably from years of experience.

Thing is, plenty dudes/gals have years and years experience with their trade, but never get to that level of mastery.

Then some cat strolls in and seems to have attained that disgusting/sickening level of proficiency in a relatively nominal amount of time.

Other wordly, dissociated feeling and flow states - there's something there I would think.

Something deeply hidden,

tenor.gif

• Advertisement

Hmph.

They haven't shown up yet.

I twitter bombed these profiles but, without effect.

Maybe it's my twitter profile, not very high on the status ranks.

Any of ya'll have legit psychologist twitter profiles that might draw their attention to these postings?

I would be SUPER interested to get a legit sports psychologists feedback on this topic.

Flow states in particular.

It's so highly addressed across so many sports and trades/disciplines period, but as mentioned, I was so unaware it was a concept even taken seriously by academia, let alone legit respected PhD's.

Would be even better to get that perspective here on a public forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Hey, I know two sports psychologists Ireland based if you want to DM. No affiliation with them, just friends of friends

You know who rattles on about flow states constantly?

Gangster rappers.

"Yo check muh flow dude!!"

In fact that rapper Tupac, that was his whole deal, his "flow".

Just for clarity, I'm not a gangster rap fan, and typically the demographic I see listening to it, I have little in common with.

But it's just interesting that this idea of "flow" is so completely glamourized by one subset of individuals.

Do they know something we don't?

Other thing those dudes are always rattling on about - "hustling".

"The hustle never ends".

Flow-states and hustling - is there a correlation?

Edit: Oh FFS's, I just realized the clip I referenced in the OP is from a film called, "The Hustler", and subsequent quote from a card shark.

Point being - hustling, flow states.....

In addition it's occurred to me, there was actually a film, called just that;

"Hustle" and "Flow",

Hustle_and_flow.jpg

A flow - intrinsically linked with a hustle.

Flow states are technically, optimization.

The opposite of flow-states are I believe, "block states", or what may be referred to as stagnation or being "stuck"....?

In keeping with sports psychology, I believe additionally flow-states hold potentially the greatest visual appeal.

Movements and fluidity that looks simply like it's "flowing".

Boxing is always a good example too, though almost certainly it has relevance to every sport (and every endeavour).

Tyson - controversial for more than one reason but, compared to the slow-lumbering heavyweight style, he had a beautiful, sharp flow, speed, agility, movement - all the characteristics of smooth flow,

Mayweather additionally, probably had the smoothest style of more recent boxers.

And that's what really seems to spark fan/viewer interest.

Flow.

Effectiveness, questionably.

I mean, Holyfield/Lewis were more effective than Tyson - but no one really cared cause they didn't have the flow;

And that flow captures the imagination, what generates interest.

More contemporary terms again, no one, comes even close to having the flow of Conor McGregor (love him or hate him), in the UFC.

They both come from the lower societal tiers, Tyson having "ran with gangs", aforementioned allusion of gang culture and "flow", perhaps that mentality is what lends itself to their style and success.

A "hustle", understanding speed, movement - how to lure/bait your opponent in, capitalize = flow?

"Engaged in petty theft with a propensity for violence" - flim-flam artistry and violence (honestly, I say this with no agenda - but it may explain with traveler culture has what appears to be a naturally endowed affinity for boxing also) similar to his flow style, knew how to move, lure opponents, correct position, culminate with power.

It's the mindset - and that's psychology, right?

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Hey, I know two sports psychologists Ireland based if you want to DM. No affiliation with them, just friends of friends

I DM'd you, what's up?

Flow states is the future.

• Advertisement

Hustling.

And flowing.

Ever meet a real stubborn person?

"Impossible".

How to make the impossible possible?

Hustling them.
    Thing is, in its conventional form it has this innate association with being trashy.

You know when you're young, adolescents etc, that "bad boy" thing tends to be glamorized?

I think it's because at that age, well, everyone suddenly becomes horny and wants to get laid for one, also social status etc.
    And that idea of being sauve, cool, sleek - the flow basically - it's like an intuitive means to an end.

Again gangster rap culture - probably why it's so popular amongst that youth demographic.

Point being, "hustle" and being trashy have been historically linked.

Traveller culture, at least in my experience of it in Ireland - definitely have the "hustle" element, almost the basis of their culture.
    Strong boxing affinity as above.
    But as above - without being prejudiced towards a culture, they also embody a degree of trashiness, as a way of life also.

I outline this to illustrate my exact point.

The historical flow state - has been associated with being "gangster", somewhat degenerative on occasion - i.e. trashy.

It gets glamorized in youth culture, then mostly abandoned in adulthood in favour of more progressive/productive living.

But what if.... the correct flow state just hasn't been understood?

Perhaps there's an element of depravity to it, but an element of glamour also - when done correctly (which the vast majority of folk, don't understand).

T.B.C.

"Flow states".

"Hustle".

The other way to characterize the dynamic may also be,

"Game".

It's kind of like, a honey trap almost.

Knowing how to lure into the perfect position then BLAM!!

DeadGaseousGourami-max-1mb.gif

That seems to be the style of the most successful combat sports athletes - sleek movement, slick, smooth.

All characteristics we would associate with "game".

Not just lumbering forward and blindly hoping to find success.

Point is, I don't think it's the association with deprived background that lends itself to proficiency as we may have historically thought (Tyson - Brownsville etc).

But more so the understanding of "game" - the lure, position opponent such to be vulnerable and then unload on them.

"Hit and not get hit".

"The punch you never see coming is the one that puts you down".

etc

Then of course defining the boundary between "game" and exploitation I guess.

i.e. being slick, and exploitation.

Overall point I'm making here is - efficiency and effectiveness happens by way of flow states.
    Not being direct.

Which seems to be a state of mind.

Again I think Travellers culture is an interesting example as, their culture is probably largely responsible for Ireland's international success in boxing which is a great thing, but again there's controversy as to their lifestyle crossing from "slick" into "exploitation" on occasion.

- And additionally, "game" is also socially characterized as men being slick/suave with women, which the traveller culture exhibits a complete deficit of, given its continuity depends on pre-arranged marriages to members of their own family.

- I guess it's paradoxical like that, they advocate "hustle" in terms of lifestyle, but exhibited terrible ineptitude when it comes to applying "hustle" where it really matters: with the opposite sex.

I think it raises the larger issue of in actual fact, societal divisions in some capacity.

Divisions in general perhaps.

Is there something to be said for that trashy try-hard tough-guy/bad-girl subculture?

Vs the progressive forward thinker who contributes more meaningfully to society?

Let's not forget that McGregor basically drew the dole and mooched off his parents and girlfriend for most of his life, now he's already in the history books as one of the most revered and successful athletes of all time.

He even described how he had to learn how to be coy growing up, dodging bullies and thieves in Crumlin on his way to school etc, concealing a metal bar in his school bag so he could defend himself etc.

Developing an indirect state of mind, developing "game".

The overall take away I believe is that, there's a higher level of functionality, efficiency and productivity to be had with "Flow States" (aka "hustle/game").

But the dynamic as a whole is not well enough understood such to incorporate the positivity of a "hustle", whilst not descending into degeneracy.

i.e. upper class and lower class combined - the (arguably) amiable approachable nature of "lower class", with the quality of life and environment of "upper class".

Relative to sports - is sports style and approach a function of ones character?

It would appear they're certainly related, perhaps style is developed on the basis of character, or vice-versa.

Relative to specific psychology, the emotional process which allows someone like McGregor to perform so effortlessly under such incredible pressure - in every sense - fight performances, press conferences etc.

"....think you can play big money straight pool or poker for 40 hours on nothing but talent...?"

Smoothness of character (coupled with ability to ultimately perform and deliver), with
    smoothness of style (movement, slickness, with ultimate power to land the KO shot).

What dictates that emotional process?

Certainly wasn't born like that.

And 100x more where he came, underwent the same "nurturing" environment, didn't become what he became.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

went to belcamp college when it was open
    Charlie haughys brother was head one day he brings out his psychology and says we should all be good at gaa as 5 of the dublin players went there but brought us out to practice only one day in 4 years it was funny they set up teams there must have been 8 teams one year
    our team was useless we went out to play the best team in semi final we were losing by a point or 2 the ball landed in front of me 8 of them were lined up in front of goal i kicked it one of them moved as he did not want to be hit
    it used to be a heavy leather ball it went through his legs for a goal.they were all crying that it was no goal. as i was not aiming for it i just laughed at beating the best team.i think we got beaten in final by next best team by 20 points.the best team was saving itself for the final but lost.i got a silver medal even though our team had never played gaa before

Because-you-are-a-character-doesnt-mean-that-you-have-character..jpg

This wasn't actually the first time this expression was used - though it seemed to largely popularize it.

1986 - "The Color of Money",

0:20

Are a character,

Have character.

Basically different ends of the same spectrum.

From "The Hustler" to "The Color Of Money", it breaks it down.

Are a character = "fast and lose", attractive, charm, easy going etc

Have character = "hold tight and push hard", undertake difficult situations, resolve etc.

Relative to flow states, one is a precursor to the other.

Have character = luring the opponent in

Are a character = smash them - basically.

One flows into the other - flow state.

Mayweather - smoothest, highest grossing boxer of all time,

JKwM.gif

Shoulder roll, taking shots, luring his opponent - subsequently, BLAM.

AdmirableCrazyCowrie-size_restricted.gif

Here he is on the ropes.
    On the ropes, hmm?

The winning boxer isn't meant to be on the ropes.

Lure his opponent, shoulder roll..... BAM!!

Land the best shot, the effective shot = lure in, perfect position, then unload.
    And it's like a circuit, it flows.

As far as sports psychology goes, it's a mindset.

Talent.

And character.

As our clip outlines - success requires both.

And this is where for me, the "game is in the clutch".

"Life is a game", and character is how we play it.

So I mean there's obviously relevance between sports psychology and relationship/neural psychology.

I think it's also necessary to put the genetics perspective on this as, like I said I don't know a lot about sports psychology specifically however, neuroscience obviously has massive stock in genetics.

The pivotal question seems to be,

- Predisposed, predetermined,
    - Probabilistic, nurture influence.

Are we hardwired to behave as we do, experience emotional process we do, think as we do?

If so, that would favour the deterministic argument.

Or - is it exclusively nurture, we're raised and "cultured" into what we become?

I personally contend we're obviously predisposed to a certain degree, subsequently modified by environment (and people, arguably male to female and female to male yields the most profound "modification" - some psychologist that appeared on one of Lex Friedmans postcasts put it, "we regulate each other nervous systems"; point being, optimal definition has been historically elusive).

As to predisposition one question which I'd love to get answer on would be,
    - genetic heritability - base gene code - vs,
    - epigenetic heritability - what our procreaters BECAME over the course of their lifetime, modification of their own gene expression, is THAT passed on?

The answer seems to be roughly surmised in the term,

"neurodevelopment".

As in, an actual dynamic process that can vary.
    But it is shockingly poorly understood, the means by which this happens.

But here's the bottom line:

As to sports performance, the only practical concern is - optimization.

To optimize performance.

This is a function of both external technique application.

And internal nerve function.

And optimization of both is rooted in - flow states (/game/hustle).

Aw hell, I'm gonna end up carrying on this conversation with myself;

lol - that's cool.

Speech.
    Speech patterns.

Flow states.

Rapping.
    Rappers always yammering about their "flow" as outlined.

Fluid neural function (at least in some capacity) is reflected in speech.

Not a fact, more an observation.

Stammering/stuttering conditions etc, I believe can be treated with neural drugs like SSRI's.

Flow.

Being cool, hip, sauve etc.
    That's a "rappers" whole deal, AmIRite?

Let me just punctate matters at this point,

Tupac used to yammer constantly about "Changes" and living at a higher level.
    That's actually what that track is about, he's graduated to a higher level of thinking, supposedly.

I don't support gangster culture the least bit - frankly moronic - but they continuously touch on the idea of "flow", and I mean let's be honest, he wasn't a famous rapper for nothing;

He's verbal "flow" made him rich and famous.

Point being,

Speech ∝ neural function ∝ flow

cFOS.

cFOS gene becomes expressed where neural electrical activity is heightened?

http://repositorio.conicyt.cl/bitstream/handle/10533/210998/Paiva_et_al-2017-Journal_of_Neuroendocrinology.pdf?sequence=1

Genetic heritability.

Point being, it's actual neural electrical activity that seems to largely determine gene expression.

In terms of heritability, is it gene code that's passed on - or epigenetic heritability, the neural "setup" that determines gene expression, that's passed on?

I'll cut to the chase - not a genetics expert, just work off the core concepts;

The point I'm trying to make is, it appears we can't change our gene code, but we CAN change how it's expressed - which is determined by the neural electrical activity.

That would probably incorporate such colourful phrases as, "synaptic plasticity" - as electrical based exocytosis will determine inter-neural communication or "synapsing".

How does this relate to sports psychology?

How does it relate to "the hustle", how does it relate to "game"...?

- "Life is a stage, and we are merely players" - William Shakespeare.

Probably more accurate to replace the word "stage" with "game".

I was actually re-watching one of my favourite films, "Casino" with Robert DeNiro, Sharon Stone and Joe Pesci - and it's the "hustle" element;

The inherent degeneracy and thus regressive gene tendency of the "trash" hustler disposition (card shark, pimp, beverly hills golf hustler, Lester Diamond).

The more level headed forward thinker of DeNiro (or his character - casino manager), and the paradox that the pimp/hustler can play with what DeNiro values most (Ginger).

Flow states - I'm getting to the point, bear with me.

Jebus.

I went full,

tenor.gif

...on them last few posts.

Flow states.

I came across this funny definition that resonates as being eerily similar to how flow states behave:

T8wT0C5.png?1

Think of what Mayweather does - it's not "misdirection" it's more, "optimized directionalism of dynamics":

JKwM.gif

He's like the magic man of boxing.

The exact definition of "magic" being,

rL3ppdo.png?1

Art of influencing or predicting events.

Directionalism.

Traveler culture would certainly have a penchant for some "magic", perhaps explains their cultural affinity for boxing?

Advertisement