Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top 5 Horror Film Reccomendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Should the likes of Jaws, Alien be classified as horror? I'd maybe classify them rather as thriller/suspense, whereas horror would have more of an element of the supernatural, and whose ending would often be open to ambiguity and the possibility of further terror to come.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

MfMan wrote: »
    Should the likes of Jaws, Alien be classified as horror?.
    'Alien' definitely should be and was designed to keep the viewer on edge and unsettled, as with a horror film. A lot of time was spent on the design of the alien, cinematography, etc to ensure the audience is unnerved. Producers watching the early cuts were horrified by it. It even follows the horror story beats of whittling down the cast. What it did do was create a new type of horror film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

01 The Legend Of Hell House 1973
    02 The Omen 1976
    03 The Lodger 1944
    04 A night of the living dead 1968
    05 Dawn Of The Dead 1978

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Let The Right One In was pretty blood great.
    (original version best)

Remake is called Let Me In anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Hereditary
    The VVitch
    The Grudge 2004
    Killer Clowns from Outer space
    A Nightmare on Elm Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

The Omen (1976 version)
    Lat Den Ratte Komma In
    An American Werewolf in London
    Audition
    Halloween

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Alien is definitely horror. Many people prefer Aliens for the action but I think Alien is the better movie. Its just so eerily creepy

Rosemarys baby
    The wicker man(original version)

2 more classics

Salems lot

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

A nightmare on Elm Street
    Halloween
    Saw
    People under the stairs
    Friday 13th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

Hereditary is the best horror movie hands down, as a grown man it's the only movie that's ever had me feeling strange after it.

It's a thriller/horror so you have to actually pay attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Session 9 is a very underrated and highly recommended horror movie. Its just been added to Netflix

Just watched it, it's decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

If alien is classed as a horror film.
    Then Final Destination has to be classed as a horror film also, more so I think.
    I loved alien. But its a sci-fi movie, not a horror movie.

00benski wrote: »
    A nightmare on Elm Street
    Halloween
    Saw
    People under the stairs
    Friday 13th
    Now that is a horror movie list.

The only movie that ever freaked me out after watching it was the ring( the original)

I'm in my 50s and I have loved horror All my life. And that was the only one that when I went to bed afterwards I was still thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

Notdeco wrote: »
    The only movie that ever freaked me out after watching it was the ring( the original)

I'm in my 50s and I have loved horror All my life. And that was the only one that when I went to bed afterwards I was still thinking about.

Watch hereditary that will you give you that weird feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Notdeco wrote: »
    If alien is classed as a horror film.
    Then Final Destination has to be classed as a horror film also, more so I think.
    I loved alien. But its a sci-fi movie, not a horror movie.
    Genres are not orthogonal. It's routinely described as a haunted house movie with sci-fi dressing. It is both sci-fi and horror, and more the latter than the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I watch a lot of horror. recent releases I've enjoyed;

The Lodge,
    Relic,
    Come to Daddy,
    the hunt,
    bliss,
    colour out of space,
    the platform,
    invisible man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

The Conjuring 2 freaked me out. I couldn't look at the screen for large parts of that movie. That freakin' nun! :eek: So, yeah, I'd recommend that (and the first one was pretty good too).

The first Nightmare on Elm Street is still the most terrifying movie I've ever seen (shame about the ending :(). Saw it as a kid and I didn't sleep for days after it. It still stands up too. Those 80s horror movies with actual special effects, rather than CGI, are still incredible. Great art and imagination in them.

I thought It Follows was great too, although, like most horrors, the ending was a little weak.

I'd also throw in IT, the tv mini-series (another that freaked me out as a kid) and The Blair Witch Project, which did so much with so little; absolutely brilliant movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

A few I really liked in recent years are The Witch, It comes at Night, Hereditary, Apostle, Climax, It Follows, and Midsommar. Not movies that'll have you leaping out of your seat, but uncomfortable, dread-inducing viewing.

Happy Death Day and Happy Death Day 2 U are two incredibly fun movies to watch, sort of like Scream meets Groundhog Dog - total blast, more cheesy fun than real horror but worth a watch.

Other decent horror movies from recent years I would say are A Quiet Place, Overlord, Color Out of Space, and Annihilation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

"Vivarium" was interesting.

Gonna try Color of space tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I watched Sinister and The Conjuring last night. Would definately recommend both for those who get the buzz out of jump scares – doors banging, eerie music, dark stormy nights, images in mirrors etc. Good acting and decent plot running through them.

Frightened the bejasus out of me anyway. Should have watched with a couple of beers - to help me sleep better.

If your willing to give a movie with subtitles a try Martyrs and Switchboard Romance are 2 of the best horrors ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Has anyone seen the australian mockumentary horror movie, Lake Mungo... I thought it was excellent.....

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Old School all the way

The Excorcist
    The Omen
    rosemarys baby
    Halloween
    Friday 13th
    nightmare on elm street
    the thing

Midsommar found it to be total Muck .. but hey don let me put you off watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    If your willing to give a movie with subtitles a try Martyrs and Switchboard Romance are 2 of the best horrors ever made

You Sir are a connoisseur :cool:

Haute Tension (Switchblade Romance) is one of my favourites. The scene with the Citroen H-van still cracks me up :D

And Martyrs is just something else. The only film ever I really struggled to finish because I was nearly getting unwell. At some point I had a sigh of relief at what I thought was the final scene. Only to realise the film was only half way through. THIS IS DISTURBING - DO NOT WATCH THIS (hope that is enough of a disclaimer)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

“Candyman,Candyman,Candyman,Candyman,........”!!!!!:eek::D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Couldn't take to Martyrs at all.

I think I've done my bit with extreme cinema, I just find the violence to become so unrelatable that it's almost slapstick.

Anything good from Spain these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Couldn't take to Martyrs at all.

I think I've done my bit with extreme cinema, I just find the violence to become so unrelatable that it's almost slapstick.

Anything good from Spain these days?

Think Veronica was spanish, really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Switchblade Romance got so unbelievably goofy in the third act that it actually annoyed me. The plot is atrocious.

Advertisement