Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strong winds and possible severe thunderstorms developing late today (Sat 4th July)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

81 km/h gust at Casement in the Midnight hour. Yellow thresholds likely to be exceeded widely, I think with the potential debris issue one might have been issued

• Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

81 km/h gust at Casement in the Midnight hour.

Yellow thresholds likely to be exceeded widely, I think with the potential debris issue one might have been issued

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nothing out of the ordinary in West Clare, windy evening, on and off drizzle. That's about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The main item with this near-warning situation is potential for locally intense thunderstorm cells and the peak of that potential comes around noon to 3 p.m. when the core of strongest upper level winds coincides with an energy peak and the diurnal max from solar heating of the unstable air mass.

While these obviously won't be widespread, they will be locally quite severe with hail and strong wind gusts. There would be a slight risk situation for a weak tornado also. Inland north central counties most at risk, then diminishing levels of risk to the south.

Looking at the satellite imagery I wouldn't expect too much to happen before about 1030-1100h.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

No big changes in this morning's runs. Strongest winds from early afternoon gusting 80 to 90 km/h overland, easing in the evening but remain blustery. Not much rain from this in the Southern half of the country, most rain further N you go. Some big squally showers. Isolated thunderstorms possible more so in Northern counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath and Clare

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Later this morning and through the afternoon, westerly winds will reach mean wind speeds of 50 to 60km/h, with gusts of 80 to 100km/h associated with any thundery downpours. Some disruption may occur.

Valid: 11:00 Sunday 05/07/2020 to 18:00 Sunday 05/07/2020

Issued: 08:00 Sunday 05/07/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Very bad wind with strong gusts. Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Strongest gust in my exposed location near Westport was 39.1 kts (72 km/h).
    Squally shower just arriving here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Very strong gusts during the night (Lucan, Dublin). Can still the here the windows being rattled now. Think I'll skip the zoo today! Those charts are showing peak activity when I'm due out. Not looking forward to finding the balcony furniture!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy here in Kerry getting up to 56 km/h, remaining dry . Bright sunny spells with passing cloud.

Some big showers showing up, maybe heavier more active cloud approaching the NW, N now into the afternoon.

rafales_uk_ltq7.png

ilklZXl.gif

lrRhWkw.png?1

Latest AROME 06Z

anim_gja3.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

In Sligo since the "bad" weather started yesterday evening we have had 1mm of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

'Violent shower' at Casement on the midday reports.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

A lot of the water table's in Clare are well up,the falls in Ennistymon are in full flow, and the waters dark brown.

There's going to be a lot of fresh water flowing off the land, not good for watersports as whatever flow's off the land will be cold water definitely not as warm as the ocean temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

nthclare wrote: »
    A lot of the water table's in Clare are well up,the falls in Ennistymon are in full flow, and the waters dark brown.

There's going to be a lot of fresh water flowing off the land, not good for watersports as whatever flow's off the land will be cold water definitely not as warm as the ocean temperature.

Ocean Temp is around 14.6°c off coast of Clare, Shannon airport soil temp for the week 27/06-04/07 is 14.0°c. Hardly make much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

87 kph in Mace Head

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ocean Temp is around 14.6°c off coast of Clare, Shannon airport soil temp for the week 27/06-04/07 is 14.0°c. Hardly make much of a difference?

You're talking averages, I'm sure if you checked the water temperature in certain places you'll find some differences.

The soil around the airport would be different too, say anywhere near the lowlands where you've a lot of rain accumulated you'll find the soil temperature less than where there's shade etc. There's a big difference between the temperature of the soil beside a building and the temperature of the soil where there's a run off.

I'm sure the temperature in the airport at the moment isn't exactly low, I'd say it's at boiling point at the moment.

If you paddled out on a surfboard where there's a lot of fresh water running off, especially in Lahinch at high tide you'll see the discoloration in the water with your naked eye.
    The Inagh river always empties into Liscannor bay and all the run off from the land changes the colour and temperature of the bay for a short time.
    As well as that, if there's little swell and wave action it'll take a few days for the temperature to regulate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Glenomra

The discolouration in the runoff in lahinch at high tide isn't all from the Inagh river unfortunately.

Glenomra wrote: »
    The discolouration in the runoff in lahinch at high tide isn't all from the Inagh river unfortunately.

I know it comes off the land, especially all the low cliff's along where the reef's are, there's another stream coming out from Cregg beach too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath and Clare

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Later this morning and through the afternoon, westerly winds will reach mean wind speeds of 50 to 60km/h, with gusts of 80 to 100km/h associated with any thundery downpours. Some disruption may occur.

Valid: 11:00 Sunday 05/07/2020 to 18:00 Sunday 05/07/2020

Issued: 08:00 Sunday 05/07/2020
    Max gust in Arklow between 3 and 4pm today was 74kmh
    Currently Gusting in the high 60s
    A few very short but very sharp showers

The only evidence of thunderstorms I've seen on radar would be in east Ulster around Belfast. Seemed to become more active once it hit Britain. Quite gusty for July though, a fairly normal November day perhaps.

• Advertisement

Not many sferics detected. Recent sferic near Westport it would seem. Still some heavy rain in the Northernmost part of Ireland.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1279888274077687808?s=20

DwrbxYt.png

I liked the atmosphere the way it was before we wrecked it. These greenhouse gases may or may not be doing bad things to temperatures but I suspect they are adding a stability load to the atmosphere and blanding out situations that maybe 30-40 years ago would have produced volatile weather. It's not a big enough effect to overcome the really potent systems but it seems to be damping down the marginal ones quite consistently. Not sure if any research has been done in this area because it's only a problem for weather enthusiasts if we have a few less thunderstorms.

I've noticed the same thing in other climate regions, it's not just western Europe. Could be stability profile interference or it could be the result of adding tenths of a degree to temperatures and not to dewpoints. Would be interesting to hear other opinions on this.

Advertisement