Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Catherine Martin (Greens) will be Minister for Media, Tourism, Arts, Culture, Sports

• 27-06-2020 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

Genealogy falls under the remit of this Ministry, doesn't it? Will the fact that the Minister is from the Green Party make a difference, do you think? Does anyone know anything about the party's attitude to the early release of the 1926 census for example? Has the party ever voiced any opinions on genealogical tourism, or the funding of the National Archives and Library? I wonder was anything mentioned in their last manifesto. Or the programme for government.

I'm asking because I don't honestly know, and was hoping someone who knows more about the Greens might have an insight. Or does it make a difference? I would have thought so, not just in terms of party policy but the personal interest of the Minister. No?

I wish Catherine, in her new capacity, would sort out those online GRO records that still haven't been made available. We all know the ones I mean! Or am I being a dreamer? Maybe I am. Not exactly priority for them I suppose.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The bulk of the remit is in that department, but the GRO is in Social Protection... was Joan Burton who did - or at least was able to figurehead the big online accessible records push; which had a personal interest in as an adoptee.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'd expect so. I saw the director of the NLI congratulating her on Twitter.

However, Darragh O'Brien's remit covers heritage, so there may be an angle as well.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Strange that Culture and Heritage have been split but maybe that's a good thing - who knows?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement