Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BBC weather and Ireland.

• 08-06-2020 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    This must have been asked before but I can’t find anything on it.
    Why does the bbc tv weather forecast not give any details on Ireland, it doesn’t even show Dublin on the map?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

kind of for the same reason we dont give any weather details for the uk on RTE forecasts,its mostly irrelevant to their domestic audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

kind of for the same reason we dont give any weather details for the uk on RTE forecasts,its mostly irrelevant to their domestic audience.

It’d be nice to see Dublin marked on the map though no?
    It’s like they’ve taken a view that “we don’t need to talk about that place”
    Bit disrespectful imo.

umm it doesnt really bother me,its a foreign weather forecast,i dont really expect to be included in their weather graphics.

and maybe theyre being culturally sensitive,ya know after the 800 years of occupation tyrany and oppresion etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

tom1ie wrote: »
    It’d be nice to see Dublin marked on the map though no?
    It’s like they’ve taken a view that “we don’t need to talk about that place”
    Bit disrespectful imo.

Why should they talk about the Republic? It's not their area of responsibilty. They talk about Northern Ireland as it is in it. Their graphics do extend over everywhere, though, so I'm assuming you know where Dublin is on a map and don't need them to show it every time.

I think there's more to your post than meets the eye...

• Advertisement

Ah fair enough I just thought it was a little disrespectful.
    Don’t mind me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

If they did, you'd have people up in arms about Ireland being shown on British weather!

Why should they talk about the Republic? It's not their area of responsibilty. They talk about Northern Ireland as it is in it. Their graphics do extend over everywhere, though, so I'm assuming you know where Dublin is on a map and don't need them to show it every time.

I think there's more to your post than meets the eye...

I think your thinking too much.
    It was an innocent question. Relax will ya.

If they did, you'd have people up in arms about Ireland being shown on British weather!

Yep fair point.

RTE exclude almost the whole of the uk in their graphics,totally disrespecting London.how dare they.

im leaving this thread now,as i feel very depressed and bored for some reason.

• Advertisement

There are some absolute morons on boards. Ask an innocent question and random idiots have a go!
    Goodnight
    Unfollow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What a daft question! :pac:

They show the cloud, fronts etc as that's the weather, who's land its over is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

uh oh ..... although not BBC, hope they don't look here :

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gc7x92466#?date=2020-06-11

on the other hand, I suspect there might be some agreement between the broadcasters about this issue. "You don't show us yours, and we wont show you ours" or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

There are some absolute morons on boards.

Says a man who has no idea why the BBC don't mention Ireland.
    Deary me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

The republic is included in the BBC NI forecasts and the likes of Barra Best is quite widely known across the republic as a result.

To be fair it would be the same as them showing Cherbourg or Calais in the forecasts. Different jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Ah fair enough I just thought it was a little disrespectful.
    Don’t mind me!!

Unless you pay for a UK tv license then when is it disrespectful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

I think the BBC have regional channels like BBC west BBC N Ireland. They do local weather forcasts
    RTE and Virgin do the weather in Ireland for all areas of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭mike2084

If anyone watches ITV weather, they have temperature and weather details for Ireland on their charts, as well as having Dublin and Cork marked on them. They never make any reference to it but you can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

To be honest, BBC TV weather, much like their 'journalism' in general, has gone downhill in recent years. Their maps are just plain ugly you can barely see them anyway because of the huge place names they feel the need to place on top of them.

They still do their traditional 'symbol' forecasts on their website, which do include Ireland.

https://www.bbc.com/weather/2964574

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Hi all,
    This must have been asked before but I can’t find anything on it.
    Why does the bbc tv weather forecast not give any details on Ireland, it doesn’t even show Dublin on the map?

BBC weather and Ireland.

Clue is in the title tom,
    British Broadcasting Corporation - it gives UK coverage

fair enough if you wanna become british again - yes??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

mike2084 wrote: »
    If anyone watches ITV weather, they have temperature and weather details for Ireland on their charts, as well as having Dublin and Cork marked on them. They never make any reference to it but you can see it.

Indeed and it's still provided by the UK met office
    They started including Dublin, Cork and Galway when utv Ireland started up and never removed them after tv3 merged with them to become vm1. In olden days on the BBC with the maps with physical stick on symbols, weather stopped at the border unless it was Bill Giles or the late great Jack scott
    Michael fish never mentioned the Republic
    You got the impression he would remove the 26 counties off the map altogether

Sky news does the Republics weather obviously because sky serves here, although their attempt at local sky news Ireland opt outs were a failed experiment some years ago
    Its also supplied by the UK met office

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I’m pretty sure they used to show it years ago. I think the ukmo is better at predicting the weather than our own guesstimating services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

BBC has been available on TV platforms for decades in Ireland. They are already showing a map of the UK and Ireland. All they need to do put a few extra place names on exactly the same as ITV does.

I am not going to watch the BBC for local weather, but it looks ridiculous that they have intentionally blacked out our cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

umm it doesnt really bother me,its a foreign weather forecast,i dont really expect to be included in their weather graphics.

When they show their precipitation charts you can get an idea of what the weather will be like in Ireland. I have often used it during wintry periods as a guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Do they show Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam or Oslo on the maps? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They used to years ago. Growing up in the UK, I used to get a little excited the odd times Longford (or even Athlone) was pin pointed.

They do show the weather in Ireland though - i'd often use their rainfall forecast to see whether I'm getting out on my Saturday Spin, much better than the RTE option (although use it less since the met.ie upgrade), or as nacho mentions, during the winter to see their take on blue into white.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sky News always shows Ireland in their weather reports, though they offer their service directly to Irish consumers so I guess it makes sense.

Anyone else remember the brief stint Sky News Ireland had around 2005?

loughside wrote: »

He writes, in a British language, using a means created, in part, by a Brit.

New Moon

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Indeed and it's still provided by the UK met office
    They started including Dublin, Cork and Galway when utv Ireland started up and never removed them after tv3 merged with them to become vm1. In olden days on the BBC with the maps with physical stick on symbols, weather stopped at the border unless it was Bill Giles or the late great Jack scott
    Michael fish never mentioned the Republic
    You got the impression he would remove the 26 counties off the map altogether

Sky news does the Republics weather obviously because sky serves here, although their attempt at local sky news Ireland opt outs were a failed experiment some years ago
    Its also supplied by the UK met office

First to admit that I have never watch the SKY news weather, and haven't really watched the RTE TV weather in a long while either because I am sick of the ads and sponsorships that cushion it on both sides. A quick read of their ad free forecast on their website is adequate.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

loughside wrote: »

Some of us never stopped!

(I hadn't realised that Boards.ie was a partitionist outfit!)

Advertisement