Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

meeeeh wrote: »
    Actually she wasn't. However it seems that woman with an opinion is too much for some to handle. To be clear I find the ad annoying as hell but the program made some good points about how little information is given to young and not so young girls. If any of you will ever have a daughter she probably did her a favour with her ranting.

Ah, once again any criticism of Ciara Kelly is sexist in nature. By that logic Joe Duffy, Ray D’Arcy, and Ryan Tubridy must be women too then - because they get criticized on boards a hell of a lot more than Ciara Kelly.

I didn’t hear the programme in question, but I can’t believe the complaints against the ad were upheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Actually she wasn't. However it seems that woman with an opinion is too much for some to handle. To be clear I find the ad annoying as hell but the program made some good points about how little information is given to young and not so young girls. If any of you will ever have a daughter she probably did her a favour with her ranting.

I have the entire array of women in my life from your to Old so take your “woman with an opinion” victimization nonsense in a poor attempt to make this a gender issue as opposed to an idiot issue.

She used lines like - “why don’t men understand that women have periods” And directed her anger and shock at men constantly during the piece.

The shoddiest part of the piece and the most glaring omission was that she never asked the question as to the gender breakdown of the complainants.

If she was worried about the information given to females as to the use of Tampons she could easily have found somebody to give information on it as opposed to turning it into Joe duffy shock jock piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I have the entire array of women in my life from your to Old so take your “woman with an opinion” victimization nonsense in a poor attempt to make this a gender issue as opposed to an idiot issue.

She used lines like - “why don’t men understand that women have periods” And directed her anger and shock at men constantly during the piece.

The shoddiest part of the piece and the most glaring omission was that she never asked the question as to the gender breakdown of the complainants.

If she was worried about the information given to females as to the use of Tampons she could easily have found somebody to give information on it as opposed to turning it into Joe duffy shock jock piece.

You say it's not about gender and then use term 'females' and rabit on about gender... Btw I'm sure women in your life are delighted to be called females. It puts them on equal footing with dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ah, once again any criticism of Ciara Kelly is sexist in nature. By that logic Joe Duffy, Ray D’Arcy, and Ryan Tubridy must be women too then - because they get criticized on boards a hell of a lot more than Ciara Kelly.

I didn’t hear the programme in question, but I can’t believe the complaints against the ad were upheld.

I can't believe that the complaints were upheld either - the only reason that I can think of is that the company involved hadn't paid their membership sub to the ASAI https://www.asai.ie/ which contrary to popular misconception has no power to ban/withdraw anything as it's purely a trade organisation masquerading as a State body.

When I complained to them about another Ad some years ago their website was more circumspect than today and it was difficult to see whether they were an official body or, as is clear now, a self-regulating cabal of vested interests.

You say it's not about gender and then use term 'females' and rabit on about gender... Btw I'm sure women in your life are delighted to be called females. It puts them on equal footing with dogs.

Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hasn't this advert been on for months?

Ah, once again any criticism of Ciara Kelly is sexist in nature.
    I suspect it sometimes is, yeah Butters.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Wow x. 2....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A female dog is called a bitch.

That’s irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Disgraceful the way you can call criticism of ciara's show sexist.
    But you didn't reply when called out on the lottie Ryan thread last week. You made a sexist comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm seriously confused by this. Is females now an offensive term?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Weren't you the poster who thought the thread about good looking female politicians was sexist?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Your opinion perhaps, but not one I concur with. I don’t judge her on her sex, I judge her on her output.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Weren't you the poster who thought the thread about good looking female politicians was sexist?

There hasn't been a sexy female politican since the shinner done a basic instinct on the late late show.
    Ciara has a bit of an auroa about here though, sexy kinda white coat with a soothing voice thing going on.

Jesus that's going back a bit now man.

Are you Eamon Andrews and is this "This Is Your Life"?

I think a lot of the criticism of Ciara Kelly is reasonable. I think a vocal minority of it is mostly predicated on sexism. If you look very carefully at the most trending criticisms, the crux is that she's too uppity, attention-seeking, etc. She's constantly accused of trying to court notoriety in a way that almost no male broadcaster is. There's a subtext that she should know her place.

That's just a personal view, I want to clarify. I'm not telling anyone how they should or shouldn't think or speak about her, that's none of my business
    /Kermit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Wow x.3. The “F” word............

Jesus that's going back a bit now man.

Are you Eamon Andrews and is this "This Is Your Life"?

I think a lot of the criticism of Ciara Kelly is reasonable. I think a vocal minority of it is mostly predicated on sexism. If you look very carefully at the most trending criticisms, the crux is that she's too uppity, attention-seeking, etc. She's constantly accused of trying to court notoriety in a way that almost no male broadcaster is. There's a subtext that she should know her place.

That's just a personal view, I want to clarify. I'm not telling anyone how they should or shouldn't think or speak about her, that's none of my business
    /Kermit

Joseph Duffy is constantly accused of attempting to portray himself as being a salt of the earth working class man, when in fact, as Raymond D’Arcy famously pointed out to him on his TV show he’s “not working class”. Equally he’s called out when he tries to be something he’s not, like when he bluffs his way through a topic he clearly doesn’t actually have any knowledge of or is reading from Wikipedia as he regularly does. Would you say those are because he’s a man? No. So why are any similar criticisms of Kelly labeled as being because she’s a woman?

Joseph Duffy is constantly accused of attempting to portray himself as being a salt of the earth working class man, when in fact, as Raymond D’Arcy famously pointed out to him on his TV show he’s “not working class”. Equally he’s called out when he tries to be something he’s not, like when he bluffs his way through a topic he clearly doesn’t actually have any knowledge of or is reading from Wikipedia as he regularly does. Would you say those are because he’s a man? No. So why are any similar criticisms of Kelly labeled as being because she’s a woman?

I don't really have strong feelings on this, either way, Butters. But what you're referring to in the case of Duffy is an example of different — I would say, valid — criticisms. They are totally different in nature, they refer to an insincerity on his part, pretending to be the working class hero that he plainly is not.

Insincerity is one of the few things that Ciara Kelly is never accused of. Like her or loathe her, you can be fairly confident that she says what she thinks (sometimes without thinking at all). I like this about her, but it clearly grates on a few listeners. Just read back over some of the comments here – it's rare that you'll see her accused of pandering to her audience or being insincere, we usually see the more typical sexist tropes eg. She's too mouthy or she talks too much, interrupts, and seeks attention.

Can you think of any other broadcaster who is regularly accused of attention-seeking? I can't. And anyway, I'd have thought that's part of the job description.

I don't really have strong feelings on this, either way, Butters. But what you're referring to in the case of Duffy is an example of different — I would say, valid — criticisms. They are totally different in nature, they refer to an insincerity on his part, pretending to be the working class hero that he plainly is not.

Insincerity is one of the few things that Ciara Kelly is never accused of. Like her or loathe her, you can be fairly confident that she says what she thinks (sometimes without thinking at all). I like this about her, but it clearly grates on a few listeners. Just read back over some of the comments here – it's rare that you'll see her accused of pandering to her audience or being insincere, we usually see the more typical sexist tropes eg. She's too mouthy or she talks too much, interrupts, and seeks attention.

Can you think of any other broadcaster who is regularly accused of attention-seeking? I can't. And anyway, I'd have thought that's part of the job description.

I’d disagree that she’s always sincere in what she says and again I’ll give the example when she laughably said she’d have no trouble welcoming travellers and their caravans to her street in Greystones. That was playing to the gallery.

Not if you are using as an adjective. But as noun it basically just describes someone or something has reproductive organs, it could be a person, animal or a plant. It could even be a fitting plumber uses. The same person who calls women females managed a bit more curtesy when describing a bitch as a female dog.

• Advertisement

I’d disagree that she’s always sincere in what she says and again I’ll give the example when she laughably said she’d have no trouble welcoming travellers and their caravans to her street in Greystones. That was playing to the gallery.

When was this? Roughly. I think we should dig it out because I would be very surprised if she was referring to any kind of illegal settlement. I may eat my words.

If she said she wouldn't object to having settled travellers as neighbours, then not only is that a banal statement, nobody has any right to such an objection in the first place. It isn't playing to the gallery, it's being an ordinary decent person.

Not if you are using as an adjective. But as noun it basically just describes someone or something has reproductive organs, it could be a person, animal or a plant. It could even be a fitting plumber uses. The same person who calls women females managed a bit more curtesy when describing a bitch as a female dog.

Think he used the word once in his posts and it clearly did not refer to animal plant or electrical fitting...nor I suspect was it used to offend...but if that's all you could bring so be it.

I'm not sure it was even on her show, it could be on Cutting Edge or something. However it certainly was at least a year ago but my guess would be around presidential elections (which reminds me, is Mickey D still alive?)

One could say the argument is slightly stale...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'm not sure it was even on her show, it could be on Cutting Edge or something. However it certainly was at least a year ago but my guess would be around presidential elections (which reminds me, is Mickey D still alive?)

Do you live in this country? Every news bulletin I've heard on varying stations opened with the news that President Higgins led tributes to the late John Hume.

southstar wrote: »
    Think he used the word once in his posts and it clearly did not refer to animal plant or electrical fitting...nor I suspect was it used to offend...but if that's all you could bring so be it.

And if he used a term woman there would be no doubt... How often would you say three females went with us out for a drink? If you have a girlfriend or a wife would you describe her as 'my female? It's not a noun used much outside of internet cultural wars. And it's never complimentary to women.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Do you live in this country? Every news bulletin I've heard on varying stations opened with the news that President Higgins led tributes to the late John Hume.
    I get my news only from higher quality British media, they only mentioned Martin...

(And yes I'm joking, I didn't really think Higgins is dead either.)

And if he used a term woman there would be no doubt... How often would you say three females went with us out for a drink? If you have a girlfriend or a wife would you describe her as 'my female? It's not a noun used much outside of internet cultural wars. And it's never complimentary to women.

Used widely outside said cultural wars... if you paid attention to other matters...law science politics etc....the issue of being complimentary or otherwise to women is neither here nor there....do save the lecture
    He used the term woman on numerous occassions by the way... and the tenor of his posts didn't suggest he held his 'female' family members in the same regard as dogs....that was all yours....but keep up the dissembling.

Careful now

Down with that sort of thing

Why is the argument stale? Because you don’t like it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I'd have to agree for the most part. In both shows I think the presenter is third most important after the content and the people calling in. The people who call in to Ciara are normal people by and large, and probably younger on average and have their finger on the pulse of the country.

Those calling in to Joe Duffy really reflect him, they are the most miserable sounding, fake nice people you could ever come across. If there are not actors among them I'd be very surprised.

Sometimes I have to switch off Ciara because the content is not appealing or she is very biased or on occasion mocking of the opposite viewpoint but it's not half as bad as liveline.

Advertisement