Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

High Winds 21st-22nd May

• 22-05-2020 3:24pm

Kinda surprised a high wind event such as this so close to the summer equinox hasn’t created interest.

Anyways, condition report from Galway, 3pm: wind coming off sea, bringing down roadwork signs & lots of foliage. Car wobbled on the way into work at 7am. How’s it been for tge rest of you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bauney

Agree with you. Fairly bad here in South Mayo. Damaging gusts. Alot of debris and branches strewn around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Was this forecast to this extent? The warning was for the NW wasn't it? Yet the power has been blown out all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

If it's not Covid-related the media have no interest currently it seems.George Lee is too busy. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It certainly seems to have ramped up today, I was expecting the worst last night.

Rough enough all day in North Donegal. But nothing we ain't seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Stormy here in Castlebar now.

• Advertisement

Sligo airport had a gust of 118 km/h (64 knots) at 1430

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The worst seems to have passed in Limerick City.
    Did a little prep yesterday in taking down some outside furniture and other bits.

Wind still toppled a chimney, a wheel barrow and some other bits.
    It played havoc with a rock solid satellite dish that has been in place 9 years with few issues aswell.
    Very strong gusts, and far stronger than I was expected from yesterday's forecast.

A couple of the neighbours have had their summer garden prep ruined.
    Destroyed gazebo and lots of debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

A huge squall just gone through Lucan. Thought it was the end of some trees in the garden. Close shave that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Seems to have eased off here in North Cork too the last hour. Yellow warning until 6pm tomorrow according to accu weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

It's very rough outside my house in North Kerry all day. Bit worried about a dozen Thuja trees [small growing evergreens]I planted 6 weeks ago. The weather is just odd nowadays that's all I can add.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo airport had a gust of 118 km/h (64 knots) at 1430

Yes Sligo has been living a charmed life both with Covid and no rain. Something had to give.

Branches flying everywhere. Was going to start a thread but thought they'd say only a NW event...thread closed. However GFS and ECM said no. Also more wind for rest of day too. 100kph every hour in Sligo and Donegal likely till midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Plenty of large fallen trees around here. Worse than some of the "hurricanes"

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Pretty rough here near Westport all day. Had a max. gust of 57,1 knots around lunchtime. Seems to be easing a bit now but still squally.
    One sudden gust (and its turbulence from the house) threw a lovely young bird mid-flight against my back wall and killed it. Garden looks a bit tatty now, but no real damage. Rain total so far is 21,4 mm, most of that fell during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

yea its been very windy here in Meath all day. Big gusts through out. Just had a fairly big shower there no harm, to get some moisture into everything. And again here comes the blue sky! Its been like this all day....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

It had kind of died down here (SW Laois), but the gusts in that band of showers currently heading east are really something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

Caught a pic of some Mammatus cloud (I think) south of me:

Vj6jRam.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

This wind just doesn't want to go away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did met.ie get this one wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Still blowing hard here in Donegal, if anything overnight was worse than yesterday.

• Advertisement

Very blustery here in Castlebar also. Not quite as strong as yesterday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wish the wind would just pi**s off now. Still very windy in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very Windy in Sligo still gusting 80 to100kph.

The GFS has a calmer looking set up than it CURRENTLY is. Can they not even predict the present?

Also GFS has lot warmer next week than Met Predicting.
    Met Eireann predict 14 to 20. GFS widely 18 to 22 on their charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The storm is long gone but the wind is still here:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Still very gusty in Dublin. even the big tree out my back has large broken branches and nothing ever broken off it before in the storms we've had over the years. My garden flowers and clematis are getting wrecked :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Pangea wrote: »
    Still blowing hard here in Donegal, if anything overnight was worse than yesterday.

There was a Yellow warning out afaik.

Advertisement