Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth amp for backing tracks - drummer

• 17-05-2020 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Not sure if I’m on the right forum, but hope someone can help me out. My son plays drums (acoustic) and often needs to record himself playing for school exams. If we play a backing track on a phone it gets drowned out by the drums. I’m hoping an amplifier might solve this - but what type to use with an iPhone? Software for mixing the tracks after the event isn’t enough as once the corona is under control he’ll need to perform for his teacher “live” with the backing track.
    All advice very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

How are you recording the drums in the first place?
    Are you mic'ing each drum and recording as separate tracks or just using one mic?
    What equipment do you currently have?

There are loads of options for you.

One quick and cheap way would be to get some active monitors and a small mixer that you can plug a backing track or two into and output to the monitors. A quick google for cheap stuff (no idea how good/bad it may be):
    Hercules DJ Monitor 32 - €69
    Mackie Mix8 - €79

The benefit of this is that you can set levels etc. and you can also have a separate output for headphones so your son can have his own mix/click track etc. The audio source can also be anything you want rather than just Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Thanks for your reply Keith. He is playing all the drums at one time and recording as a single track. I'll have a look at the set up you recommended, it sounds ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Cool, do a little reading on those items just to ensure they're OK as I don't know them but the idea is sound at least.
    If you have anymore questions just ask.

Advertisement