Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam, what to get and where to get it - vol. 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

mondeo wrote: »
    Whatever anyone does don't waste your money on the Nextbase 522GW, it is supposed to be a top of the range camera but the video quality is sht compared to my old 35 euro Yi dash cam.... This 522GW cost me 140 euro.

I've had the 522GW hardwired into the car for the last few weeks and I'm very happy with the video quality. Have you checked the recording is set to 1080p?

One thing I will say is that the desktop app for playing back video is glitchy and causes video stutter and sound dropouts. Playing on the native video player shows the video is very good quality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

54and56 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up.

Thinking of splashing out on the VIOFO A129 Pro 4k for £170 as it has what they refer to as "Buffer" parking mode which essentially means it keeps recording when parked providing you have it hardwired in with a low battery cut off (which I already have) and when it detects an incident it doesn't just wake up and start recording after the incident but it grabs the 15 seconds before the incident plus (I think) 30 seconds afterwards and locks that into a file which won't be written over.

It's exactly what I need should the aforementioned gurriers ever return to have an other go at the car.

I got a Viofo A129 Duo last year with the hardwire kit and I'm very happy with it. It's not 4K and doesn't have the "buffer" mode you describe, but I just use low frame rate (3 fps?) when parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

I got a Viofo A129 Duo last year with the hardwire kit and I'm very happy with it. It's not 4K and doesn't have the "buffer" mode you describe, but I just use low frame rate (3 fps?) when parked.

Thanks Zilog.

Got the Pro version of the A129 which is indeed 4k. Very easy yo install latest firmware and set up etc. Intuitive menu if somewhat clunky relative to some of the US / Western type solutions but it's nevertheless easy to set up.

Two slightly annoying issues:-

1. It uses Mini USB, not even Micro USB. In 2020 that's a crime IMO. It should be using USB C never mind Micro.

2. The hardwire kit (with auto cut out once the battery drops to a certain level) which I already had in the car needed a Micro USB to Mini USB adaptor to use with the A129 but whilst it gives it enough power to get going it doesn't seem to give it enough power to keep going so was only recording a few seconds of video at a time not the full 1 minute loop. I contacted VIOFO support who were quick and responsive. They suggested I try using the Mini USB cable which came with the device. I did that and that solved the problem. It does now mean however that I have to remove the old micro USB cable from the hardwire kit, plug in the VIOFO Mini USB cable and then route that to the device behind the rear view mirror. Bit of a pain but once done it'll be forgotten about.

The device offers both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi which works very well. It uses a VPN trick (with your Android phone at least) so you can be connected to the device via WiFi (to view or download footage, change settings etc) whilst also being connected to 4G via your mobile data connection. I strongly recommend setting the WiFi to 5Ghz as it's 3-4 times faster at downloading clips than 2.4Ghz.

Once the Mini USB cable is routed I'll probably forget about it all together.

Like you I've set parking mode to low bitrate so it just continues to record when parked. Not sure how many hours it'll go for before the hardwire kit will cut it out to protect the car battery.

The alternative is to have motion sensor type parking set up but that only records after the event which is not what I want so I'll stick with the low bit rate option.

4K picture quality is amazing IMHO.

I set low framerate, not bitrate. The picture quality is still good enough to make out faces, number plates, etc. It would often run for 7+ hours but sometimes not, my 12V battery is old though so probably not helping. Does the new "buffered" mode not work?

I don't think the 4K versions were available when I was buying (or they were out of my budget).

I was surprised it was mini USB, but I only use that for the permanent wiring so it doesn't really affect usage for me. If I want to get a recording off it I usually just take out the SD card altogether, but wifi can be handy for screenshots or just reviewing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Hi folks

Looking for a recommendation for a dash cam in the range of €70~€100 - must have wifi

I've a Yi dashcam in my own car & can't fault it, but can't seem to get them anymore...are there any tips for brand/model in the above budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Hi, as I plan a longer journey I thought about getting a dash cam for a safety reason. My budget isnt the greatest, around 100€.
    Any decent camera in that budget? Like 1440p, decent night mode. I see Viafo A199 popping in many reviews, does any one had opportunity to try it?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Hi, as I plan a longer journey I thought about getting a dash cam for a safety reason. My budget isnt the greatest, around 100€.
    Any decent camera in that budget? Like 1440p, decent night mode. I see Viafo A199 popping in many reviews, does any one had opportunity to try it?
    Thanks

I have been using the Nextbase 312GW for the past two years and find it very good. Thankfully haven't had the need to use the footage yet but the picture is very clear and number plates are easy to make out. You will be able to get one for less than €100.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-312GW-Car-Camera-Viewing/dp/B01ELRJW5Q/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=312gw&qid=1592690074&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Hi Folks,

I have recently decided to invest in a dascam (Nextbase 422). Just wondering if anybody could answer one or two questions for me.
    Do you use the supplier software, or a third party (if so which one is good), for video editing?
    I want to create a time lapse video. Can I do that with the video editing software or do I have to set the camera into timeplapse mode? If I have to set the camera in time lapse mode, what happens if an 'event' occurs?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but for the life of me I cant see it anywhere.

Cheers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Are there any decent dash cams with front and rear functionality for less than €50-60?
    Or am I significantly better off going for the €100+ nextbase or equivalent options (eg this)?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

DID are doing a good deal on the 422 for 130euro. I picked on e up a few weeks ago (fathers day present to myself)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

DID are doing a good deal on the 422 for 130euro. I picked on e up a few weeks ago (fathers day present to myself)

But it comes to €190 with the rear facing camera added.
    Is there anything even <€100 that is worth looking at, that comes with front and rear cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Forget about below 100 notes for decent dual setup.

Cheaper and (IMO) safer would be to go 2 separate cams route, like viofo a119s front, YI dashcam rear.

Alternatively, take a look at a129 duo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

But it comes to €190 with the rear facing camera added.
    Is there anything even <€100 that is worth looking at, that comes with front and rear cameras?

The main problem I find with HQ dual cameras is the amount of recording time, my camera(s) run at 1080p front and rear and make mince meat of the 64 Gb card, 4 hours front and rear, now for everyday use it's fine but just once in a while I see these requests for dash cam footage from 2 or 3 days ago from the Garda and though I might well have been in the area then the relevant time period has been overwritten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

I have this on order will tell you how it is when it comes.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32866737411.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.694d4c4d4dOrew

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

homingbird wrote: »
    I have this on order will tell you how it is when it comes.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32866737411.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.694d4c4d4dOrew

pioneer vrec-dz700dc got this recently fantastic bit of kit, expensive but worth it, night mode, parking,front rear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Anyone got one of these or have any thoughts? My concern would be covering my rear view mirror with this device.

It looks like you can toggle between rear/front & split views on the device itself. It would probably be safest to leave it on the rear camera view, but obviously the perspective/angles are different to normal.

Available on amazon https://amzn.to/3fVpURt

I do want a dual camera setup however, only started looking into what is on the market - which is vast it seems.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Hi, looking to get dashcam, have few queries though.

1) What sort of feature do I need to look for on dashcam so it can always record even when engine is off?

2) Would always record mode drain battery if I don't drive lets say for 3 days?

3) How common is it for windows to be smashed and dashcam be stolen?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

arleitiss wrote: »

This happened to me this week.
    Have a focus and left it plugged into the cigarette lighter on monday, went to drive on thursday morning and battery was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Birka

Has anyone got a Cellink Neo Powerbank? I got one a year ago but its stopped working. There's a two year warranty but the sellers/agents (car-dvr.co.uk/HDigitalEye) won't respond. Just wondering if anyone's had any positive dealings with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

I like the idea of a front and rear discreet camera set up with a seperate screen much like motorbike cams.

Anyone know of any decent ones available ?

Have a little flap covered compartment in the boot to take the screen etc. With WiFi I would probably not use a screen any way.

Was looking at one like this fro. Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081SSKDLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_B.SkFbHW58FBE

• Advertisement

arleitiss wrote: »
    1) What sort of feature do I need to look for on dashcam so it can always record even when engine is off?
    Parking mode
    Not if you fit a proper hardwire kit which will turn it off if the voltage gets too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Hello Everybody,

I am not sure if this is the right Forum - Please feel free to move

I recently changed my car and would like to get Dashcams installed as I have been thinking they are a good idea for quite a while back.

I was in Halfords the other day and they had a selection but I know little or nothing about them.

The shop assistant said basically they can be as follows:-

Ran from the cigarette lighter or hardwired
      and store about 4 hours rolling footage on a loop on a 32 Mb SDD Card

Can anybody add what else I should be looking for : -

as I want both of them hardwired to avoid trailing leads in the car

want to get them fitted in either Tipperary / Cork area

Are Halfords ones any good or can someone recommend someone else to me who can supply and fit these in either Tipperary / Cork area?

Roughly what kind of money are we talking for a fairly decent set supplied and fitted/ installed.

Your help or suggestions on the above would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Chevy RV

1. Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Car Stereo & Alarm Systems are on Patrick’s Quay in Cork city, contact Eddie there.

2. Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Chevy RV wrote: »
      Hello Everybody,

I am not sure if this is the right Forum - Please feel free to move

I recently changed my car and would like to get Dashcams installed as I have been thinking they are a good idea for quite a while back.

I was in Halfords the other day and they had a selection but I know little or nothing about them.

The shop assistant said basically they can be as follows:-

Ran from the cigarette lighter or hardwired
        and store about 4 hours rolling footage on a loop on a 32 Mb SDD Card

Can anybody add what else I should be looking for : -

as I want both of them hardwired to avoid trailing leads in the car

want to get them fitted in either Tipperary / Cork area

Are Halfords ones any good or can someone recommend someone else to me who can supply and fit these in either Tipperary / Cork area?

Roughly what kind of money are we talking for a fairly decent set supplied and fitted/ installed.

Your help or suggestions on the above would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Chevy RV

Eddie O'Sullivan Patrick's Quay,100 percent decent honest capable local guy, installed a pioneer SPH 250 DAB fir me a few weeks back,e286 approximately cheaper than Halfords,who incidentally told me no guarantee that my parking sensors would work after their installer did my car,pm and I'll give you my number, what's app and I'll show you the great job he did
        +353 87 222 2927 ( his number) I have a Honda insight es , difficult to fit etc( no sweat to Eddie)
        T23 NP30 eir code

1. Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

MarkR wrote: »

I ordered the unfortunately named "Apeman" one. Seems to be what I want, cheap and cheerful. Once I have it, I'll post up some sample videos.

2. Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hi folks,
        My wife and I are very keen on getting a dashcam installed on our Seat Ateca. I'm currently in hospital and have been tasked with researching it despite being dosed up to my tonsils and being in agony - any advice / recommendations North Dublin would be really appreciated,
        Kind regards,
        Bob

3. Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Safesounds in Drumcondra aren’t too far from D11 & they’ve been in business a long time.

4. Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

TherapyBoy wrote: »
        Safesounds in Drumcondra aren’t too far from D11 & they’ve been in business a long time.

Cheers, dropped them a mail

5. Advertisement
      6. Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi,,,, not sure if Boards have a dedicated Dash Cam buyers thread

Looking to buy a front Cam as a Xmas present for daughter new car and would appreciate Boards advice as to what to get and where o get it

many thanks in advance...

MODS.... feel free to move if I am posting in wrong forum

regards

Advertisement