Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Off you go to bat for a billionaire so, like she needs the support :pac:

I think the vast majority of people simply don’t care one way or the other about JK’s opinions on, well, anything really. So they’re not any more likely to care that some bunch of nobodies they’ve ever heard of is using JK to boost their own public profile, by attaching themselves to the ‘JK got cancelled’ nonsense in order to feel important about themselves. They ‘took down’ a billionaire.

No they didn’t, JK could wipe her arse on a Starbucks napkin and sell it at Christie’s in the morning, it would still net her a fortune.

Jk Rowling is just the example here in this case. You've kind of missed the point I was making

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Delirium wrote: »
    okay, so how would you determine what is reality/correct?
    Such things are always in flux, but for the moment, yep someone can self define themselves as whatever they like, but that ends in the case of Trans with spaces defined as private spaces for biological sex, changing rooms, toilets and the like. Yep I know we all have unisex toilets in our houses, but in the public sphere outside of defined unisex toilets nope.

I have also noted that this Trans extremism has a strong tendency to be biased towards one direction, that is male to female. We don't hear nearly so much from female to male Trans in this debate.

As for reality? Well, currently there is nothing like any sort of "test" for Trans outside of self definition, backed up by medical people. The same medical people who as I say would have called mental illness along the lines of dysmorphia a few years ago. It would take a strong willed and brave medical type to have suggested otherwise not so long ago and a strong willed and brave medical type to suggest it might be in more cases than is accepted today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    As the activists keep saying, 'be kind' except this would require men being kind and accepting to their fellow men who present as women.

The way we seem to be stacked up at the moment requires young women to be kind and accepting of their fellow ladies who present with mickeys. Which is less disruptive, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

As a committed member of the LGBT community, I find what is happening re: gender/sex to be nothing short of appalling.

You cannot change biological sex. There is no standard for "feeling like a woman". I am a man, and I have no idea what "feeling like a man" is, so how can biologically-born women "feel" this?

Second, you cannot be born into stereotypes. Long hair, make-up, attraction to pink etc., are all social constructions. You cannot be born into a social construction.

Third, biological sex is XX and XY. There are some aberrations, such as Kleinfelters, XXY etc., but these are aberrations. The claim here is that biological men or women can switch chromosomal sex. It is not possible.

Fourth, this is the only trans- category that is taken seriously by society. For example - there are some people who are able-bodied, but believe they were "born disabled". There are some in society now arguing that we should have the State pay for these people to become disabled to meet their "mental image". This is the equivalent of saying to an anorexic person, "you are fine the way you are, it has nothing to do with mental dysphoria".

There are many trans- men/women who are equally as appalled by what is going on, especially regarding the gender identity question.

I, as a member of the LGBT community, get completely sidelined. When people speak to me privately about this issue, they agree with me. But they dare not say it in public.

An extremist identity politics minority have taken over. They are vocal and dangerous and are destroying societal norms as we know them to be.

Is this your christmas? do you wait for these cases and the muslim cases to come up so you can get on your sjw outrage box and spew out yout copied internet opinions?

What does the T in lgbt stand for?

Are you a re-reg? your posts are kinda funny though

i love the part about lots of people being afraid to speak out. There is always the great silent majority to support your case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I do not determine what is reality or correct by asking what the law tells me. That would seem crazy.
    As it happens I do not break laws because in general they accord with my moral sense and intellectual reasoning, but if a law did not do so I would not abide by it and would take the consequences. Maybe that makes me a weirdo. I dont care. To be so subservient as to rely on the changing laws of humankind to know what is reality (!!!) or what is correct seems bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Wibbs wrote: »
    Such things are always in flux, but for the moment, yep someone can self define themselves as whatever they like, but that ends in the case of Trans with spaces defined as private spaces for biological sex, changing rooms, toilets and the like. Yep I know we all have unisex toilets in our houses, but in the public sphere outside of defined unisex toilets nope.

I have also noted that this Trans extremism has a strong tendency to be biased towards one direction, that is male to female. We don't hear nearly so much from female to male Trans in this debate.

As for reality? Well, currently there is nothing like any sort of "test" for Trans outside of self definition, backed up by medical people. The same medical people who as I say would have called mental illness along the lines of dysmorphia a few years ago. It would take a strong willed and brave medical type to have suggested otherwise not so long ago and a strong willed and brave medical type to suggest it might be in more cases than is accepted today.

That could be due to those targetting transgender people. I've hardly, if ever, seen those arguing for curtailing access to somewhere/rights of transgender people to go after transgender men.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,496 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

jimgoose wrote: »
    She can dress up as Hermann Goering in an SS uniform with a little tutu and recite passages from Mein Kampf in a little slot just after the Angelus, and I will defend to the death her right to speak.

Ah you wouldn't.

If she was fired out of a cannon into a inferno of shíté you'd do fúck all.

You might sit down and whittle on the internet for a bit. But that would be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Gynoid wrote: »
    People are a bit hung up on the use of the word "cancel" being a hysterical Americanisation.
    It is not a word I would use. It is hard to keep up with the evolution of language - himself only told me yesterday netflix and chill means come over for sex, I thought it meant to lazily watch movies :D.
    But leaving aside cancel as a word, what is meant is that Rowling has been subject to a litany of vile public abuse from a baying mob in what is effectively the modern public square. Other people saying what she said have been getting death and rape threats for ages. The mob gloated viciously over Magdalen Berns death from brain cancer. There have been people visited by police for expressing opinions critical of gender theory.
    It may yet be designated as hate speech and made an actionable offense. I would never publicly express my opinions on extreme trans activism without anonymity, Im sure there are many who feel the same way - ordinary people are in effect silenced from expressing opposition to extremist anti-reason ascientific ideology by threatening mobs. It is kind of weird.

I think a lot of people are staying quiet about it because they don’t want the hassle.

Boggles wrote: »
    ...If she was fired out of a cannon into a inferno of shíté...

That's probably more fun than it sounds, in fairness.

• Advertisement

That could be due to those targetting transgender people. I've hardly, if ever, seen those arguing for curtailing access to somewhere/rights of transgender people to go after transgender men.

Oh hahaha that is because of the nasty bad women bullying .. .we are going there huh?

Did you ever think maybe men have little to fear from transmen in their single sex spaces like sports or showers...

Honest to god this whole shyte is such a parody of reason that it is hard to believe where we are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

True enough. Maybe because at a very basic biological level men are less physically vulnerable than women, so they're not nearly so concerned? For all the ballsology around trans women in sport being "equal" to women, the plain fact is they're more of a physical threat than the other way around.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jimgoose wrote: »
    Urinating?
    I'd kind of hope, for everyone's sake, that when you urinate you don't wander around the toilets waving your mickey all over the place.

Aside from just being weird, you'll get piss everywhere.

Not getting into the ins or outs of any of it - but there's a fundamental misunderstanding about this case.

Someone took this case saying she was fired for being transphobic. In fact, her contract that she expected to be renewed, wasn't renewed. The contract was up, she was gone.

She worked for a company who campaigned on inequality.

It's the gay cake trap but with more sophistication.

Attention seeking Cretin.

seamus wrote: »
    I'd kind of hope, for everyone's sake, that when you urinate you don't wander around the toilets waving your mickey all over the place.

I'll be fine. Try not to worry about how I urinate, that's kind of what has us where we are in this thread. :pac:

Did you ever think maybe men have little to fear from transmen in their single sex spaces like sports or showers...
    ...and there it is.

Biological men are dangerous would-be rapists from whom women need to be protected. Bravo.

Can a mickey actual wave? :confused:

Apart from

source.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

WTF do you get up to in a toilet that involves waving your mickey around the place? Tbh, I don't want anyone having that right in any toilet.

Hannah mouncey had a fit when told he coudlnt do just that in women's changing rooms and showers instead of using a private space.

WTF do you get up to in a toilet that involves waving your mickey around the place? Tbh, I don't want anyone having that right in any toilet.

You’ve never been in a communal changing area?

...and there it is.

Biological men are dangerous would-be rapists from whom women need to be protected. Bravo.

Erm… that's not what was said.

There are biological differences between a man and a woman. In general, women are more vulnerable than men. Allowing a man into places which are designated only for women, could result in scenarios where the woman is/feels threatened or uncomfortable.

Nobody is saying that all men are a threat, but some are.

Limiting the possibilities where this can happen is not about vilifying all men.

Do you think that because people lock their doors, they feel that EVERYONE is a would-be thief?

• Advertisement

...and there it is.

Have to laugh again. This fcuking inanity. Yes, men rape at a higher degree than women. Newsflash.
    So yes of course the safeguarding fears are precisely based on criminological statistics and actual reality!
    And of course it is not all men, but away with you making that idiotic argument.

Did you really think my objection was based on my being offended by fcuking knobbly knees sticking out of ill fitting frocks? :D

You’ve never been in a communal changing area?
    Poster specifically mentioned toilets (restrooms). Different conversation.

Not getting into the ins or outs of any of it - but there's a fundamental misunderstanding about this case.

Someone took this case saying she was fired for being transphobic. In fact, her contract that she expected to be renewed, wasn't renewed. The contract was up, she was gone.

I read that snippet a millionty times yesterday. I understand it that her contract would have been renewed had there not been this furore. So same fucking difference, as far as I’m concerned.

...and there it is.

So we should abolish ladies toilets so

Have to laugh again. This fcuking inanity. Yes, men rape at a higher degree than women. Newsflash.
    So yes of course the safeguarding fears are precisely based on criminological statistics and actual reality!
    And of course it is not all men, but away with you making that idiotic argument.

Did you really think my objection was based on my being offended by fcuking knobbly knees sticking out of ill fitting frocks? :D
    Well at least you're comfortable with your misandry.

If you have any evidence that denying transwomen access to women's toilets makes women safer, then fire away.

The reason transwomen are virtually always targetted rather than transmen, is the exact same stupidity that made gay men the bigger target of hate in the 1980s above lesbians. Misandry. The belief that all men are sexual deviants, and any behaviour outside the norm is just some other angle to try and have sex with unwilling participants.

When you realise that transwomen aren't trans because it's a sexual thing, you'll understand why the arguments about toilets are ridiculous. Why are lesbians allowed to use women's toilets? Why are gay men allowed to use men's toilets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I don't accept that men should be able to claim to be physical women (and vice versa) and gain access to places or have the same rights that are exclusively for women.

That is literally what I am saying.

I have to ask you, where do YOU draw the line when it comes to accepting other peoples reality?

If someone claims to be a different age, will you treat them as such and give them access to age specific areas?

Or is it only transgenderism where your willingness to deny reality lies?

I don't know if you've ever tried to legally change your gender, it's really not an easy process. I think recently there was a case in the Netherlands of a man trying to change his age and it was denied.

I believe if a person is recognised as a gender then that person should have all the rights of that gender.

On a larger point, I do think going after transgender people is a horrible thing to do. They are probably amongst the most vulnerable people in society, I had the privilege of being able to hide my sexual orientation until I was ready to deal with it, transgender people don't have the same ability to hide who they are. They are so open to attack, and the abuse they suffer on a day to day basis leads to such serious mental health issues. I'd never want to be somebody who kicks down so to speak.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well at least you're comfortable with your misandry.

If you have any evidence that denying transwomen access to women's toilets makes women safer, then fire away.

The reason transwomen are virtually always targetted rather than transmen, is the exact same stupidity that made gay men the bigger target of hate in the 1980s above lesbians. Misandry. The belief that all men are sexual deviants, and any behaviour outside the norm is just some other angle to try and have sex with unwilling participants.

When you realise that transwomen aren't trans because it's a sexual thing, you'll understand why the arguments about toilets are ridiculous.

No. It is absolutely not misandry. I never feel misandry. Never have. It is a direct insult to call me that. I have argued long and hard on this issue from all angles and never felt misandry. But such a scurrilous accusation is not unexpected from you.

We're talking gender not sex, so nobody is talking about changing biological sex.

That's not the case though. Trans people currently use the toilet of their gender.

With regards to the changing rooms, why is it preferable for young boys instead of young girls share changing rooms with transgender women?

Many in the trans- community argue that gender is not the same as sex, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

But if that's the case, then how can one transition from "man" to "woman" -- which are the sexes?

Seems to be a category error on their part.

The problem becomes worse if you assume gender and sex are the same. As there are individuals who believe they were born "agender" (without a gender), in theory they can "transition" to become another gender.

So, which is it!?

Whatever way you slice the pie, things don't come out the right way.

• Advertisement

Poster specifically mentioned toilets (restrooms). Different conversation.

Right... but then you quoted the below part of Gynoid’s post and replied as follows (emphasis mine):
    ...and there it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement