Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millerstown, kilcock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

August 2018

Developer going to Court over Kildare housing flood issues

The developer of a large new Kildare housing project has said that it has begun court proceedings over the scheme.

McGarrell Reilly said today (August 3) it has initiated judicial review proceedings against Meath County Council in respect of the Millerstown housing development in Kilcock.

A spokesperson for McGarrell Reilly said this follows “protracted discussions with the council which have failed to reach a resolution.”

The Leader understands the company is taking a different interpretation of an Bord Pleanala text to Meath County Council.

The background to the dispute is understood to concern compliance with flood risk.

The company said: “Flood works on McGarrell Reilly’s lands have been certified as complete and we have received confirmations that the Millerstown properties are protected from flood risk. Additional flood management works on third party lands outside the development, requested by the council, do not offer any additional protection to the Millerstown development.”

The spokesperson concluded: “During this process of discussion with the council, we provided caretaker agreements for purchasers to allow them to take possession of their properties until the issue is resolved.”

Thank you for that, I think that article was behind a paywall when I tried to go onto it previously.

I would still be satisfied personally that the estate has had enough flood protections, we can argue until the cows come home as everyone has their own opinions on what they will and will not accept, I'm just thrilled to be in my 20s and purchased our first home in an area I'd thought we'd never be able to afford! Especially during a housing crises!

Happy to call kilcock my new home!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Welcome to Kilcock none the less and congrats on the house too :-)
    Thank you for that, I think that article was behind a paywall when I tried to go onto it previously.

I would still be satisfied personally that the estate has had enough flood protections, we can argue until the cows come home as everyone has their own opinions on what they will and will not accept, I'm just thrilled to be in my 20s and purchased our first home in an area I'd thought we'd never be able to afford! Especially during a housing crises!

Welcome to Kilcock none the less and congrats on the house too :-)

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Where did you hear that about the flood works?
    It's before the courts. He says it isn't his problem anymore an maybe he's right.

There are tonnes of Maynoothians in Millerstown obviously they've grown up seeing flood prevention working and aren't phased by it.

I'm from maynooth too, my parents bought back in the late 80s and can remember the flooding around meadowbrook (Ive been unfortunately ousted out of buying in Maynooth) millerstown gets quite boggy when it rains heavily - quite boggy, but whatever works the developer did seem to do the job as the houses are elevated over the flood Barrow.
    They seem to be elevating the estate up and up, the insurers didnt have any issue with giving us insurance, I advised of previous flooding but they were satisfied with the works carried out and we have flood cover.

Maybe it was different a while back, I reckon the estate had to prove itself. I can check with my parents but I think meadowbrook had the same issues.

Royal canal/grand canal, always getting those two mixed up!

Kilcock is a great place to live and the build quality in Millerstown is top class.

• Advertisement

There are tonnes of Maynoothians in Millerstown obviously they've grown up seeing flood prevention working and aren't phased by it.

I’m shocked at the amount of maynoothians that are here, and so many “oh so and so lives there” from people I know!
    I think it’s because most of us can not afford Maynooth it’s insanity! And no thanks on that traffic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭djbulldogg1983

The bogs are no where near the towns of Maynooth or Kilcock. The bogs are in donadea and the surrounding areas.

Secondly its the royal canal that flows through Kilcock, Maynoooth and Leixlip and this has never flooded in any of these towns from my memory. The grand canal goes through sallins, robertstown etc. Ledwill is beside the royal canal but is on a much higher gradient and also the royal canal has never flooded. Where as the rye river has.

I had a deposit down on a house in Millerstown and there were issues with insurance hence the delay in residents moving in. Further work was carried out by the developer.

Im from Maynooth the only place where I have seen flooding is meadowbrook which was built over 20years ago. Its not up the OPW to install flood preventions. Its the developer who looks after this.

The reason for the hold up was NOTHING TO DO with insurance

That article was referring to the original floodworks which were carried out by Sean Reilly. They were arguing that the additional upstream works didn’t need to be completed BEFORE signing off the estate. That was the argument. Not that they were refusing to do flood works.

It's before the courts. He says it isn't his problem anymore an maybe he's right.

It’s not before the courts. The matter has been closed and all applicable works completed by the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 faireeee12

Hi everyone,

New user here so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Due to move into Millerstown soon but can't draw down until we get our home insurance including flood cover which is proving difficult. We have friends in the estate who moved in with flood insurance but unfortunately, we haven't been able to get it. We're at the back of the estate.
    Can anyone advise on which insurance companies to try?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

faireeee12 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

New user here so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Due to move into Millerstown soon but can't draw down until we get our home insurance including flood cover which is proving difficult. We have friends in the estate who moved in with flood insurance but unfortunately, we haven't been able to get it. We're at the back of the estate.
    Can anyone advise on which insurance companies to try?

Thanks in advance!

Got ours with aviva with flood cover no problem, we went through a broker

Just wanted to note that no nosey neighbours have posted anything in months.

Just putting this here as a little benchmark.

Looking forward to welcoming you all back during rainy season again :-)

Also looking forward to really heavy rainfall to prove that the estate is still as safe as it always was and as it was designed to be ;-)

You're only feeding into it by posting stuff like that.

Also looking forward to really heavy rainfall to prove that the estate is still as safe as it always was and as it was designed to be ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Azizur Rahman

Quick question folks, when people moved in, did you have to get an engineer out to hook up broadband?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This post is outright trolling - do not post in this thread again

Quick question folks, when people moved in, did you have to get an engineer out to hook up broadband?

Originally we were told by virgin that we could just plug the box in, then we were told we had to get and engineer from virgin to get the box set up.
    They attempted to charge us for it, but waived the fees considering the house should have been set up for virgin already.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

Originally we were told by virgin that we could just plug the box in, then we were told we had to get and engineer from virgin to get the box set up.
    They attempted to charge us for it, but waived the fees considering the house should have been set up for virgin already.

Yeah that seems crazy, any house I have lived in as of the last 10 yeas. Virgin box is posted out and i plugged it in and good to go. if thats not the case then for me thats up to virgin to sort out.

Personally and this is only my personal view I would not be paying for someone to come out and setup the service they are providing and I am already paying for. I wouldn't buy a new car and then the dealers charge me to show me how to start it? maybe a simplistic view but just my view

Yeah that seems crazy, any house I have lived in as of the last 10 yeas. Virgin box is posted out and i plugged it in and good to go. if thats not the case then for me thats up to virgin to sort out.

Personally and this is only my personal view I would not be paying for someone to come out and setup the service they are providing and I am already paying for. I wouldn't buy a new car and then the dealers charge me to show me how to start it? maybe a simplistic view but just my view

The exact way we argued the fee, so they waived it. We were like we’d go with sky if we had to pay the fee. It’s extortion really, give us no alternative and then charge. Luckily now sky and eir is available in the estate (or so that say!)

L1011 wrote: »
    This post is outright trolling - do not post in this thread again

Thanks L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Azizur Rahman

Thanks for the information folks ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Hi all,

Myself and the wife have been in touch with the EA regarding the Alder tree 3 bed semi in Millerstown. Does anyone here live in one of these? Are they as nice as they look in the photo’s?

Also to anyone that lives there, flooding? I’ve seen a few pics but how bad is it and insurance wise was it ok?

Thanks

Rock77 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Myself and the wife have been in touch with the EA regarding the Alder tree 3 bed semi in Millerstown. Does anyone here live in one of these? Are they as nice as they look in the photo’s?

Also to anyone that lives there, flooding? I’ve seen a few pics but how bad is it and insurance wise was it ok?

Thanks

I’m in a birch myself, but the alders are lovely! Downstairs area has a sitting room and a kitchen with room for a small second seating area. It’s lovely! The sitting room and master won me over for the birch however.

No problem getting insurance with flood cover. I had mine the day I applied

I’m in a birch myself, but the alders are lovely! Downstairs area has a sitting room and a kitchen with room for a small second seating area. It’s lovely! The sitting room and master won me over for the birch however.

No problem getting insurance with flood cover. I had mine the day I applied

Great, and you like the area? There’s no fireplace? The missus thinks that’s weird!!

Great, and you like the area? There’s no fireplace? The missus thinks that’s weird!!

Th area is lovely, we can walk in lovely green areas without having to leave the estate, and the canal at your doorstep is such a bonus!

No fireplaces no, but to be honest we don’t even miss it now, is amazing how much space they take up, and the house is so quiet inside as there is nowhere for wind to come in! We’re right by the building site and you barely notice most of the noise.

I know some residents here have put in electric fireplaces, but we honestly won’t bother, we don’t even notice!

Even with the heat off, we sit consistently at 22/23 inside temperature, so warm and cosy!

FYI, all A rated houses down have fireplaces AFAIK, can’t be A rated with a fireplace as wind and cold can get in that way, and it’s not air tight

Th area is lovely, we can walk in lovely green areas without having to leave the estate, and the canal at your doorstep is such a bonus!

No fireplaces no, but to be honest we don’t even miss it now, is amazing how much space they take up, and the house is so quiet inside as there is nowhere for wind to come in! We’re right by the building site and you barely notice most of the noise.

I know some residents here have put in electric fireplaces, but we honestly won’t bother, we don’t even notice!

Even with the heat off, we sit consistently at 22/23 inside temperature, so warm and cosy!

FYI, all A rated houses down have fireplaces AFAIK, can’t be A rated with a fireplace as wind and cold can get in that way, and it’s not air tight

Great, thanks a million. Hopefully we can get a viewing soon...

You can get houses with wood burning stoves that come with an a3 rating. You are correct about the fireplaces and BER however, it proper drags down the rating as it's not energy efficient. Did millerstown come with gas or the heat pumps?.

You can get houses with wood burning stoves that come with an a3 rating. You are correct about the fireplaces and BER however, it proper drags down the rating as it's not energy efficient. Did millerstown come with gas or the heat pumps?.

We have gas heating, no heat pumps here. Have solar panels which run the water and electricity. There is no battery storage, so you use what you use really.

Our gas and electricity bill are crazy low though.
    Because the house is A rated, heat comes on for an hour only during the summer, off when it’s really warm. And winter we have it on roughly 4 hours a day. House stays so warm, only downside is trying to keep it cool when it’s really warm! :D

Great, thanks a million. Hopefully we can get a viewing soon...

Last weekend the estate agents were around the show homes, so maybe soon!

Last weekend the estate agents were around the show homes, so maybe soon!

EA says they are open for viewings so trying to get in this weekend. She says the Alders are in the new phase due to finish in Sep.. is there building going on now?

• Advertisement

EA says they are open for viewings so trying to get in this weekend. She says the Alders are in the new phase due to finish in Sep.. is there building going on now?

Oh yes! It’s zooming up! There are some alders pretty much built outside, panels on and everything, other alders are at 1st floor level now, they build them fast, inside takes longer

Advertisement