Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Childhood Christmas Memories

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

My earliest memory of Christmas was when I was three years and I got a cowboy hat, waistcoat and rifle from Santa.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Giving this a seasonal bump :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

One of the first presents I can remember getting was my own Nosy Bear.
    I got the Nosy Bear annual too, as well as Twinkle and Jem. :D

1980s-nosy-bear-dizzy-purple-blue_360_8e108458f3d7c4adbeb6bc37c8339d58.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Parents gone to mass. Presents opened by us and found my brother got something I wanted. He goaded me and goaded me. I broke up the pressie because of the wind up. Was climbing the stairs with him winding me up with a piece of the present in my hand. He annoyed me so much I threw it down the stairs narrowly missing his head (thankfully) and it went straight through the window beside the door.... needless to say... the wooden spoon came out on Christmas day....

Such good times..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,169 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My earliest memories of Santa growing of waking up one Christmas morning and getting a farm set and another one I got a toy tractor.
    I always just got up when I woke and there was never a big thing about getting up really early.
    My siblings were a decade older than me. So, I was sort of by myself regarding the Santa buzz in a way.
    Then when I got more into it I got stuff such as Play station 1.(Used very little of it).
    I got a chemistry set and electronic set one year and I loved them.(I didn't go on to love science in secondary school.)
    Dustin the turkey was another hit.
    Funnily enough I often loved the little gift in my stocking.
    I loved the night Christmas Eve having a bath with special bubble bath/bombs, new clothes, preparing the Christmas table for him and lighting the Christmas candles.(I generally had a cold).

I'm unsure of my last Santa Christmas tough.
    I remember one year I was unsure and I looked out the door and whatever way the sky looked I was certain I saw an image of his sleigh in the sky.
    However the bubble burst on a Christmas morning when there was an issue with something and my brother mentioned something along the lines of receipt.
    I was a child who got a long time out of it tough. The magic of it meant so much to me, I really looked forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I remember being very sick one year the week before Christmas. Hated the medicine but was told that Santy would bring the Sindy ballerina doll if I took it! Lo and behold there she was under the tree on Christmas morning. A lovely memory.

I have a lot of siblings so there was always someone younger who believed once I realised the truth! It prolonged the magic for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

My earliest memories of Santa growing of waking up one Christmas morning and getting a farm set and another one I got a toy tractor.
    I always just got up when I woke and there was never a big thing about getting up really early.
    My siblings were a decade older than me. So, I was sort of by myself regarding the Santa buzz in a way.
    Then when I got more into it I got stuff such as Play station 1.(Used very little of it).
    I got a chemistry set and electronic set one year and I loved them.(I didn't go on to love science in secondary school.)
    I loved the night Christmas Eve having a bath with special bubble bath/bombs, new clothes, preparing the Christmas table for him and lighting the Christmas candles.(I generally had a cold).

I remember one year I was unsure and I looked out the door and whatever way the sky looked I was certain I saw an image of his sleigh in the sky.
    However the bubble burst on a Christmas morning when there was an issue with something and my brother mentioned something along the lines of receipt.
    I was a child who got a long time out of it tough. The magic of it meant so much to me, I really looked forward to it.

Those are great memories. I unfortunately cant remember anything specific about Santa when I was younger:(

I do remember Christmas been a happy time in my house and seeing lots of relatives and knowing my parents I'm sure I was spoilt so even thought I don't remember them I know they would be happy memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

gypsylee wrote: »
    I remember being very sick one year the week before Christmas. Hated the medicine but was told that Santy would bring the Sindy ballerina doll if I took it! Lo and behold there she was under the tree on Christmas morning. A lovely memory.

I have a lot of siblings so there was always someone younger who believed once I realised the truth! It prolonged the magic for me.

I had this Sindy whom I thought was a ballerina, turns out she’s a swan princess. https://picclick.co.uk/1990s-Swan-Princess-Ballerina-Sindy-Doll-with-Clothing-142744470138.html#&gid=1&pid=1

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I do remember Christmas been a happy time in my house and seeing lots of relatives and knowing my parents I'm sure I was spoilt so even thought I don't remember them I know they would be happy memories :)

That is so lovely. If your parents are still alive you should share that thought with them. I too have happy memories of Christmas at home. I thought everyone did but now I'm aware I'm one of the lucky ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I am an only child I was raised in my grandads house with my grandad, my mam and late god mother
    I have always loved Christmas, I have great memories,
    On a Christmas Eve when I was a young child myself and my mam would always crack open the Tin of Roses, the red lemonade or American cream soda and watch the TV together anytime I left the room my mam would call out quick quick I think I heard the bells, I would bolt back into the room saying what what...what did I miss

On one occasion when I was younger I couldn't get my head around how Santa was going to get into the house, that night my grandad came home from a pint to find me up and not asleep I couldn't sleep I think I was terrified Santa was going to come into our house while we were all asleep
    My grandads words were I will stay up and wait for Santa and take the toys off him so he doesn't have to come into the house and I remember nodding to my grandad yes and off to bed I went :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I can remember my mum taking my brother and I to see Santy in a department store in Cork called Buckley's back in late 60's (roughly where Next fronts on to Academy street now). Their draw that year was they had Rudolph there, I suspect it was probably a fallow deer, in a little pen lined with aluminium foil to give it a festive look, all I can remember was the smell from it, did it stink! poor little fella, he was probably traumatised.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I remember I nearly caught him 1 year. There was a creaking the floor inside my door, on the floor. I think I was around 7 or 8, saw a small scalextric set. Hopped out of the cot and started pulling it apart. It didn't take long for the parentals to hear my commotion and order e back to the cot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

The bsatard ate half of my selection box

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭VanHalen

The other day I was walking up North Earl Street and noticed the demolition of Clery's going on. It reminded me of being brought to Clery's to see Santa back in the 60's. I can't remember the Santa experience itself but the endless queue to see the big man - it seemed like we waited for hours!
    I also remember being brought to see Santa at the bottom of Mary Street/Jervis Street - what is now Toymaster - I think it used to be called Dockrell's? The guy there used to have really thick glasses and I remember thinking he couldn't be the "real" Santa (like at Clery's) 'cos I'd never seen a picture of Santa with glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I once saw Santa in my bedroom. In reality, I think I was half asleep and looking at the painting of my parents that was on the wall but I was fully convinced it was Santa. I also saw him when I looked through the keyhole of the sitting room before we went in to see what he had left for us. Turns out it was a white Power Ranger bubble bath on top of the TV.

That is so lovely. If your parents are still alive you should share that thought with them. I too have happy memories of Christmas at home. I thought everyone did but now I'm aware I'm one of the lucky ones.

I do tell them how grateful I am for everything they did (and still do) for me. As I have got old I have started to realise how luck I was growing. Similarly, I thought everyone had the same childhood I did however am well aware that is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

I remember feeling properly ill with excitement when my Mum would wind us up about Santa's robin and when she heard sleigh bells. I also had wonderful primary school teachers who really got in to it. I loved walking home from school past the vegetable shop which would have wreaths and trees outside then past the butchers which was manic.

I don't have many clear memories of santa, we were sent back to bed a few years as we would wake at 4 or 5am. We heard santa and his wife drunkenly race our toys around the living room one year but were too afraid to go down stairs.

I remember how serious I took leaving out a large bottle of Guinness, a slice of pudding, and carrots for the reindeer. I was always afraid the dog would eat it all.

...the painting of my parents that was on the wall.....

Is that beside the family coat of arms?!! :)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Is that beside the family coat of arms?!! :)

That was in my grandparents’ house. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Toto worried a lot as a child that Santa's sleigh wouldn't clear the moat. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Like yourself, my siblings were 10, 11 and 13 years older than me. Think Santa last visited me when I was 10.
    I do remember looking out my parents' window one year when I was 3 and expecting to see him on his way.
    He never let me down. What a guy.
    Enjoying it all over again with my own kids now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Growing up in North Dublin in the late 70's we didnt have much but my ma went out of her way around xmas time, my happiest memory was waking up on Xmas day and Santa brought me a Scalextric it was the best present ever, at the time every kid wanted a Scalextric they were all the rage, i was in dreamland :)

Posy wrote: »
    Toto worried a lot as a child that Santa's sleigh wouldn't clear the moat. :(

That and whether he’d be able to find the chimney amongst the turrets.

That and whether he’d be able to find the chimney amongst the turrets.

Plus making sure the butler had left out the carrots and milk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Alan Smithee

Growing up in the late 70s and 80s Christmas was the best time of the year full of magic and wonder.
    Christmas Eve was always the same sacred ritual in our household; trip to Granny and Grandad whose patience must have been severely tested by over active children full of chat about Santa and what he might bring, followed by midnight mass that was always more bearable than usual thanks to the wonderful carols that gave the old cold church a sense of warmth and communal joy. You always remember people just being that bit more friendly and happy at Christmas.
    Travelling home in the car we would excitedly look up to the dark sky to see if Santa was flying about and on more than one occasion convinced ourselves we saw or heard him high above. Before bed we’d leave out a mince pie and a glass of beer (Smithwicks or Guinness) and a carrot for rudolf. Quality street in the real metal tin always wrapped in Christmas paper would be opened and we’d be allowed a few before bed. Always loved the green triangle and long gold chocolate toffee!!
    Sharing a room with my brother we would try to stay awake as long as we could with the aspiration to sneak up on Santa but every year we inevitably failed in our task and fell asleep. Still the excitement would mean sleep was short lived and by 5am one of us would wake the other and we’d collectively or in turn call our parents a thousand times to be allowed up,but being routinely ignored or eventually shouted back at increasing intensity to go back asleep or Santa won’t come. By about half six and their resistance broken we would be allowed up. Dad would always have to go first and gently open the sitting room door just in case Santa was still there and of course to add to the theatre he’d pause just long enough till we were dancing giddy with nervous excitement to ask if Santa was gone and if he’d left an toys before opening the door to reveal the black shiny bin bags full with whatever we had asked for and somethings we hadn’t.

Now I do the same for my kids although beer is now milk but I always insist on opening the door first just in case!!... being a parent really makes you appreciative the efforts your own made especially in more difficult times but for that one day you never felt poor. And to them for creating wonderful traditions and memories that are some of my most cherished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Really makes you appreciate the effort the parents put into it. had the 2 sisters and brother over the day and we were reminiscing all about santy and leaving out the carrots and mince pies and the father cleaning the chimney so he could get down it. Mad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

First of all the excitement of going to see Santa at the shopping centre in Town. A decent sized house was constructed outside Quinnsworth and there was such excitement about going to see him. You went into the first room where the elf took your details (and money but we never noticed that!). Then into the next room which was kinda dark with a Christmas tree lit up. Santa would ask you what you wanted for Christmas, if you were a good boy/girl this year and he would check with our Mammy if this was true! He would then tell us we had to be in bed early Christmas Eve and to leave out a slice of cake for his and a carrot for the reindeer. We were given a lucky bag and out the door back into the shopping centre and reality.

It used to be such a magical and exciting thing to visit Santa - at the shopping centre! By the time it came to bringing my son to see Santa, it was Santa sitting on a big chair in the middle of the shopping centre, posing for a quick photo and giving you some "reindeer food". It didn't seem as exciting and I don't think he was mad pushed about it either. He's now a teenager and I think times have changed again - a friend of mine has smallies and she said there's special Santa evens around the country that are expensive and book up well in advance.

Advertisement