Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Comments

Well at least it's over.

My first take - Minny did well out of this.

Butler's behaviour has been atrocious throughout this saga and he's had locker-room issues everywhere he's been. You'd have to have some concern for his impact on Simmons, Embiid and particularly a vulnerable Fultz. I have concerns about his health and age, and given his style of play I wonder how long it is before his game declines. On a first glance, I'd say Minny are the winners on this.

That said, if he helps push Philly over the top, then it's worth it - but that's am long shot IMO.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

So a starting five of Fultz, Redick, Jimmy, Simmons, Embiid?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Great trade for the 76ers on paper, but I can't see it being a happy camp. Interesting to see how it goes!!

Butler is going to crush whatever is left of Fultz' confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Philly needed to do something and I think making a trade for a 3rd star and not giving up the Miami 1st or Fultz in the deal is a win for them. Cov and Saric are fine players but Butler, despite his obvious character issues, is a top 15 or so player in the NFL. I still think they need one more guy... i'd assume they'll look at Korver but there's plenty of other guys who could help them.

I don't worry at all about his impact in Joel, he's more than tough enough mentally to handle Butler. Same with Simmons. Fultz tho... well thats less assured but this will take a bunch of pressure off Fultz having to be the third guy. That could help a ton. Fultz leading the 2nd unit is just way more realistic a lineup than Simmons and Fultz right now.

There's 100% risk to the trade but there's also HUGE upside. Like if Embiid continues to improve (which is a scary prospect as he's already the guy i'd say is 3rd in the league for MVP atm - behind Gannis and Curry) and Simmons gets better (also very likely) then they might have the best starting unit in the East if Khawi can't stay on the court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Philly needed to do something and I think making a trade for a 3rd star and not giving up the Miami 1st or Fultz in the deal is a win for them. Cov and Saric are fine players but Butler, despite his obvious character issues, is a top 15 or so player in the NFL. I still think they need one more guy... i'd assume they'll look at Korver but there's plenty of other guys who could help them.

I don't worry at all about his impact in Joel, he's more than tough enough mentally to handle Butler. Same with Simmons. Fultz tho... well thats less assured but this will take a bunch of pressure off Fultz having to be the third guy. That could help a ton. Fultz leading the 2nd unit is just way more realistic a lineup than Simmons and Fultz right now.

There's 100% risk to the trade but there's also HUGE upside. Like if Embiid continues to improve (which is a scary prospect as he's already the guy i'd say is 3rd in the league for MVP atm - behind Gannis and Curry) and Simmons gets better (also very likely) then they might have the best starting unit in the East if Khawi can't stay on the court.

I'd say they would have given up fultz if they could but nobody would be willing to take a punt on giving much trade value for him at present. There's far too much uncertainty that he'll ever become a reliable NBA player. And I don't think his problem is the pressure of being the third guy because certainly not being viewed as that as of yet.

Jimmy obviously makes Philly better but he also completely messes up their timeline imo. Look at their ages:

Simmons 22
    Embiid 24
    Saric 24
    Butler 29

I don't see them winning it all this year, and by the time the Simmons and Embiid are really hitting their prime (and the Warriors are somewhat out of the picture) Jimmy will be around 33/34, and with his injury history that doesn't sound too good. Someone's going to offer him something like a 4 year max deal this summer, basically the same package Chris Paul got, and Philly are undoubtedly going to match it (they wouldn't have given up two good players for a one year rental), so this is a huge risk imo.

Talk going around that the Rockets are ALREADY trying to waive Melo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Jimmy obviously makes Philly better but he also completely messes up their timeline imo. Look at their ages:

Simmons 22
    Embiid 24
    Saric 24
    Butler 29

I don't see them winning it all this year, and by the time the Simmons and Embiid are really hitting their prime (and the Warriors are somewhat out of the picture) Jimmy will be around 33/34, and with his injury history that doesn't sound too good. Someone's going to offer him something like a 4 year max deal this summer, basically the same package Chris Paul got, and Philly are undoubtedly going to match it (they wouldn't have given up two good players for a one year rental), so this is a huge risk imo.

Saric is gone to MIN as part of the trade isn't he? I broadly agree with the rest of your points

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Saw that earlier today. Entirely predictable. I was going to say he's become a joke, but he has been to me for years and years at this stage.

The fact it's happening when Harden and Paul have missed lots of games and this early in the season speaks volumes.

Saric is gone to MIN as part of the trade isn't he? I broadly agree with the rest of your points

Yeah didn't structure it well but was just showing how much better Saric fits their timeline over Jimmy.

Shooting is also a major problem for them now, Simmons thrives on kicking out to 3pt shooters and they've lost so many.

Last year they had JJ (42%), Saric (39%), Covington (37%), Belinelli (38%), and Ilyasova (36%).

This year their best 3pt shooters outside of Redick are the rookie Shamet (33%), Butler (35%), Muscala (34%), and Embiid (27%). Fultz is attempting less than one 3 a game.

All those guys outside of Redick also average way less 3PA than Saric and RoCo.

LeBron missing two free throws again at the end of a close game, makes up for it with a put back dunk - then should have gotten a T for hoop hanging. But yeah, a ref is going to call LeBron for a T with seconds to go in a game in LA.....:rolleyes:

The Lakers celebrated like crazy - after a 1 point win against the Hawks, in November. They are bad.

Boston look bad too btw, still not figuring things out. I’d have expected more signs of progress by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

LeBron missing two free throws again at the end of a close game, makes up for it with a put back dunk - then should have gotten a T for hoop hanging. But yeah, a ref is going to call LeBron for a T with seconds to go in a game in LA.....:rolleyes:

Agree they are never going to call that on him but the Hawks called a timeout straight away and you can hear the whistle for it. Definitely not going to call him for that as a delay of game when the game was blown dead.
    The Lakers celebrated like crazy - after a 1 point win against the Hawks, in November. They are bad.

Up by 9 going into the 4th, lose the lead, get it back with 15 seconds left and then a block on a last play/second layup, think most teams would celebrate that in fairness. Maybe a bit much but it was Chandler who got the block and could be seen as a way of fully embracing him etc...

kmart6 wrote: »
    Agree they are never going to call that on him but the Hawks called a timeout straight away and you can hear the whistle for it. Definitely not going to call him for that as a delay of game when the game was blown dead.

Up by 9 going into the 4th, lose the lead, get it back with 15 seconds left and then a block on a last play/second layup, think most teams would celebrate that in fairness. Maybe a bit much but it was Chandler who got the block and could be seen as a way of fully embracing him etc...

Apologies on that, only saw the highlights and didn’t hear the whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I like the Butler trade. I take the points about chemistry and timelines, but they managed to retain their valuable 1st and all of their key assets and they've added someone who might gel quite well with Embiid and Simmons as a competitor. Their D will also be pretty savage.

It's the end of the process, they can sign him and add shooters / role players and they open up a half decade window of competitiveness. With good coaching; without Butler declining sharply; with good additions around the core three; with further development from Embiid / Simmons then this gives them a legitimate shot at a Championship.

They were in the ring for LeBron last summer so they've been feeling like it was time to add a star and compete. Butler isn't perfect, but what top 15 guy were they going to be able to add who was? This can allow Fultz to take a complimentary rotational role, take the pressure off and if they did get someone like Korver they are going to be a tough out in the East this year and for the next few years. It might not work, but you could be waiting forever for the perfect move.

This is just fascinating

giphy.gif

Caris LeVert just went down with a supposedly Hayward-esque injury (I'm not watching it to find out). He's been having a breakout year, leading the Nets with 19ppg, a 7 point increase on last season.

Caris LeVert just went down with a supposedly Hayward-esque injury (I'm not watching it to find out). He's been having a breakout year, leading the Nets with 19ppg, a 7 point increase on last season.

Yup, he's been playing really well. Shame. I'm not looking at it either, I always regret doing that when I do.

He was deemed untouchable by the Nets in the Butler trade saga. A few weeks ago some commentators laughed at that, but he's played so well recently some revised their opinions.

Fun fact for the older kids....from 1987....he's related to:

• Advertisement

This morning I managed to be the 2nd person to view the NBA Top 10 Plays on YouTube. Must have hit the sweet spot. Views before I looked at it: 1, views after: 2.

Very strange thing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This is just fascinating

giphy.gif

Fultz needs therapy, he's regressing in such weird ways :(

LeVert's injury limited to moderate ligament damage apparently, no break or fracture and no surgery required.

I haven't seen it and don't want to, but by all accounts it looked horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Angle I saw wasn't great but looked like it was hanging. Amazed he's got away with only ligament damage.

https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/1062873568252354561

a bit early in the season for the annual Tankathon , but ..

got to see most of the Celtics game last night. first time all season they looked good. I know the Bulls are not the greatest, but the mood , and everything in general looked better. 8-6 not a bad start, for a team that has been playing fairly poorly.

2smiggy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/1062873568252354561

a bit early in the season for the annual Tankathon , but ..

He’s by consensus not even the best player on his team, but the way the hype and highlights are building he will be the biggest name come the draft and may be taken 1st on that more than ability and potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

2smiggy wrote:
    got to see most of the Celtics game last night. first time all season they looked good. I know the Bulls are not the greatest, but the mood , and everything in general looked better. 8-6 not a bad start, for a team that has been playing fairly poorly.

Haven't seen them much myself this season but sometimes it takes a win such as this to effectively kick start things. I'm also operating on the basis that "form is temporary, class is permanent " & that the cream will rise to the top! Here's hoping.

After playing the Lakers 3 times in the opening 14 games I'm really glad Portland don't see them again for like 6 months, the national broadcasters might as well be the Lakers local guys with the way they go on about them.

• Advertisement

Melo officially out of Houston as per Woj. Some funny comments on twitter, I especially liked "end of an error".

He should retire, but rumours of Lakers and Portland (and others) are already surfacing. :rolleyes: This can only go one way for Melo and tat's get even more embarrassing. Don't do it, it's not like you need the money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement