Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English County Cricket thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Not anymore. Clean bowled by Samit Patel for a five ball duck.

Forecast look awful for finals day and for Sunday too. Bowl off most likely I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Exciting finish to the Notts/Leicester game - went to the last ball with Notts needing two, scuffing a full toss which looked a cert for just a single until a terrible misfield.
    Both teams finished 139/7 with Notts knowing that was enough as they had scored more in the powerplay.

Did seem a bizarre way to break the tie though, especially when English cricket knows how terrific the super over can be as the breaker.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sad news as the ECB announce the death of John Edrich at the age of 83. He played for Surry from 1958 to 1978 and played 77 times for England, getting over 5,000 runs at an average of 43.54. He scored 310no against New Zealand in 1965 and lost the opportunity to set a new test record when the England innings was declared.

Incredibly that is still the record for the most boundaries in a test match innings. 57 total, 52 fours and 5 sixs. Hayden is next with a total of 49. Man of match in the first ever ODI too. The tributes I'm seeing from people who saw him focus a lot on how brave he was too.

Robin Jackman, another Surrey and England player has also died. One of the great voices of cricket. Always a pleasure when he was on commentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

The Hundred is down to go ahead from July 21-August 21. The Women's tournament will play alongside the men's. Obviously it isn't targeted at cricket fanatics and will be aimed at the general public. Should be a easy watch next summer and BBC are to show around 10 games too.

Birmingham Phoenix: Chris Woakes, Dom Sibley, Liam Livingstone, Moeen Ali (captain), Tom Abell, Kane Williamson, Benny Howell, Tom Helm, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Pat Brown, Adam Hose, Adam Zampa, Daniel Bell-Drummond, Henry Brookes, Miles Hammond, Chris Cooke
    Head coach: Andrew McDonald

London Spirit:Zak Crawley, Glenn Maxwell, Eoin Morgan (captain), Mohammad Amir, Ravi Bopara, Mohammad Nabi, Mark Wood, Joe Denly, Dan Lawrence, Chris Wood, Mason Crane, Adam Rossington, Roelof van der Merwe, Jade Dernbach, Luis Reece
    Head coach: Shane Warne

Manchester Originals: Jos Buttler, Nicholas Pooran, Kagiso Rabada, Harry Gurney, Phil Salt, Matt Parkinson, Joe Clarke, Jamie Overton, Shadab Khan, Tom Lammonby, Wayne Madsen, Steven Finn, Colin Ackermann, Richard Gleeson, Tom Hartley
    Head coach: Simon Katich

Northern Superchargers: Ben Stokes, Aaron Finch, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Chris Lynn, Adil Rashid, Adam Lyth, David Willey, Tom Kohler-Cadmore, Olly Stone, Matty Potts, Matthew Fisher, Brydon Carse, Harry Brook, Callum Parkinson, John Simpson
    Head coach: Darren Lehmann

Oval Invincibles: Sam Curran, Rory Burns, Jason Roy, Sunil Narine, Sam Billings, Tom Curran, Saqib Mahmood, Sandeep Lamichhane, Colin Ingram, Reece Topley, Will Jacks, Laurie Evans, Brandon Glover, Jordan Clark, Nathan Sowter, Alex Blake
    Head coach: Tom Moody

Southern Brave: Jofra Archer, David Warner, Andre Russell, Marcus Stoinis, James Vince, Liam Dawson, Chris Jordan, Danny Briggs, Tymal Mills, Delray Rawlins, Alex Davies, George Garton, Ross Whiteley, Max Waller, Craig Overton
    Head coach: Mahela Jayawardene

Trent Rockets: Joe Root, Rashid Khan, D'Arcy Short, Lewis Gregory, Alex Hales, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Dawid Malan, Timm van der Gugten, Steven Mullaney, Matt Carter, Tom Moores, Luke Wood, Luke Wright, Samit Patel, Ben Cox
    Head coach: Stephen Fleming

Welsh Fire: Ollie Pope, Kieron Pollard, Jonny Bairstow, Jhye Richardson, Tom Banton, Jake Ball, Ben Duckett, Ian Cockbain, Qais Ahmad, Josh Cobb, Liam Plunkett, David Payne, Ryan Higgins, Matt Critchley, David Lloyd
    Head coach: Gary Kirsten

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dohboy

The amount of p1ss-boiling going on about the Hundred is ridiculous. It'll be popular and a success, I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nice bit of green

I just don’t see the point of the new format when t20 is already there. But happy to watch on bbc for sure. Hoping to get over this summer to see a game of some sort if conditions allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I don't have any great desire to engage with The Hundred. Is there really a need for a new format for 3.2 overs less per innings?? 10-ball overs! Imagine how knackered Bob Willis would have been bowling balls 9 and 10 off his run-up!

However I suppose it will be nice to see some form of live cricket on BBC.

Bob bowled plenty of overs like that or longer given his no ball problems and he bowled eight ball overs in Australia too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I don't have any great desire to engage with The Hundred. Is there really a need for a new format for 3.2 overs less per innings?? 10-ball overs! Imagine how knackered Bob Willis would have been bowling balls 9 and 10 off his run-up!

10 ball overs are too many, could have been 20*5, still 100, its just another hit and giggle variation for people with no concentration, another payday for the usual heads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Doodah7 wrote: »

Hope it dies on its arse.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Northants have signed Wayne Parnell for the new season. Pretty pleased with that, and it's for the whole season, in all forms of the game so that makes a nice change. We normally only have the overseas player for T20 and bits and bobs.

Fantastic run chase by Northamptonshire today against Glamorgan, great way to bounce back after a shocker against Lancs.

Watched a bit of the Essex game at Edgbaston. Youtube streams are great. Thought they pulled another game out of fire the way Harmer batted but Warwickshire very calmed chased them down. First loss in ages for them.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Watched a bit of the Essex game at Edgbaston. Youtube streams are great. Thought they pulled another game out of fire the way Harmer batted but Warwickshire very calmed chased them down. First loss in ages for them.

Yeah, there are some decent quality streams from the counties this year. There's been some good, close, County Championship games this season already too, which is great to see.

Kent got flattened by Glamorgan in two days, anyone on here remind me what exactly Joe Denly does, if he's an international cricketer, there is hope for us all. He has dropped from useful contributer to complete rabbit. I have mentioned a West Indies International before named Brandon King as the winner of the stealing a living world championships, but Denly is getting close to that. Never plays a match winning innings, bowls occasional pies, and used to be good in the field, but isn't now.

I think you're being very harsh. He's had a long county career at Kent and Middlesex. Did fine in few T20 leagues. Got picked for England and gave it a good go. Headline will be his lack of a hundred, what will his teammates remember though? Batted where needed and fought hard for his wicket. 50 off 155 at Headingley for example. Crucial to allow Stokes to do what he did there.

I think you're being very harsh. He's had a long county career at Kent and Middlesex. Did fine in few T20 leagues. Got picked for England and gave it a good go. Headline will be his lack of a hundred, what will his teammates remember though? Batted where needed and fought hard for his wicket. 50 off 155 at Headingley for example. Crucial to allow Stokes to do what he did there.

I agree, but I'm talking about recent form, the last 2 years or so. He also made 94 in an ashes test and batted very well, but has fallen off the map. He's a frustrating player, because he gets out loads between 30 & 40, reminds me of the first test series of Mark rRmprakashs career against West Indies when he got to 25 in every innings and didn't pass 40. Ramprakash had 2 seasons late in his career when he averaged over 100 in the championship for Surrey. Denly should be doing better.

Yorkshire beat Northants by one run in their last game. County Champ. throwing up some great games so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Anyone watching Middlesex vs Gloucestershire?

Quality game.

GLOUCS - 273
    MDX - 210 & 74/5 (29)

Only negative is the outfield is very slow and the batsmen not always getting value for their shots...

Northants tonked Sussex. Beat them by an innings and 120 runs. Sanderson took a tenfer in the game and Berg a ninefer.

Fantastic for a team of cast offs and up and comers.

Looking at results I think captains are really going for it this year, much less playing for draws and all the better for it.

Darren Stevens on the charge for Kent 178* with 15 sixes. 282-8 from 99-7, against Glamorgan, 155 unbroken stand with Bajan quick Miguel Cummins, who is 1 not out.

Gone for 190 just now. Caught on the boundary taking on Labuschagne. Unbelievable batting and he was unning twos like a man half his age too. Dug Kent out of a big hole today.

Gone for 190 just now. Caught on the boundary taking on Labuschagne. Unbelievable batting and he was unning twos like a man half his age too. Dug Kent out of a big hole today.

And he got Marnus loose bus change out for 11, its amazing that this man has played so consistently after he turned 40. They were going to release him last season and he got a big score in one of his final games, think it was against Yorkshire

Very fortunate looking wicket of Marnus. It was well outside the line. That's twice now this season. Can't be a good feeling for such a top ranked batsman.

It's a fantastic story. Deserves an England call up based on his output. Won't happen of course it's too late now. Wisden did a good interview with him when he was named one of their cricketers of the year, he seems a really nice person as well.

Very fortunate looking wicket of Marnus. It was well outside the line. That's twice now this season. Can't be a good feeling for such a top ranked batsman.

It's a fantastic story. Deserves an England call up based on his output. Won't happen of course it's too late now. Wisden did a good interview with him when he was named one of their cricketers of the year, he seems a really nice person as well.

Marnus is on a barren run, this time of year is tough for batting, he will come good soon, he is out of the Australia tour, and is staying with Glamorgan for an extra few games. On another note, I wouldn't like to be facing Mohammed Abbas for a living, I reckon I would scored single figures in a full season against him, I might edge one through the slips, but he is ridiculously consistent

He's one of those metronome bowlers, no pace he doesn't even have height like McGrath had. England this time of year is tailor made for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Anybody watching Surrey vs Middlesex ? I missed the Surrey innings but Stirling is going great for Middlesex... 50 of 22 deliveries... some explosive sixes. MID chasing 224, 61-0 after 5.4..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Strumms wrote: »
    Anybody watching Surrey vs Middlesex ? I missed the Surrey middlesex innings but Stirling is going great for Middlesex... 38 of 18 deliveries... some explosive sixes. Sorry chasing 224, 61-0 after 5.4..

Jacks knock was amazing for Slurry - 70 off 24 balls with 5 sixes - if he hadn't been run out he could have scored close to 200! Roy was pedestrian in comparison.

Advertisement