Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

danganabu wrote: »
    Dowling not long back from knee surgery in the AI final games and still had two big games. He will be plenty fit enough for championship.

Alan Dempsey has been dropped off the panel which is a nonsense. He was the best player on the Na P team in the AI final and replay and is a better hurler than at least 5 on the Limerick panel vying for similar positions and will hurl them off the field come club championship.

He has never been so far in his intercounty career, what has changed? Don't get me wrong, an incredible skilfull and intelligent hurler but no where near fit enough for the modern intercounty game.
    x 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Rubbish.

Oh well I stand corrected so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

Very impressed with that Limerick performance,great link play throughout the pitch.Given that ye had 11 wides to Tipp's 2 over the 70 Minutes.I think it's clear what needs to be worked upon.
    Buildup play from Limerick players was exceptional throughout.Final ball sometimes let them down but this is a team capable of getting to the last 4 this year and maybe more.
    Gillane is as good a forward as I have seen to emerge on the Inter county scene.He has serious potential.Hopefully ye will make it through Munster this year.Would fancy ye Vs Clare,Waterford and Cork and well capable of beating Tipp at home who still have a few lads like Callanan and Bubbles that need gametime because they are decisive players unlike Curran and McCarthy.

Very impressed with that Limerick performance,great link play throughout the pitch.Given that ye had 11 wides to Tipp's 2 over the 70 Minutes.I think it's clear what needs to be worked upon.
    Buildup play from Limerick players was exceptional throughout.Final ball sometimes let them down but this is a team capable of getting to the last 4 this year and maybe more.
    Gillane is as good a forward as I have seen to emerge on the Inter county scene.He has serious potential.Hopefully ye will make it through Munster this year.Would fancy ye Vs Clare,Waterford and Cork and well capable of beating Tipp at home who still have a few lads like Callanan and Bubbles that need gametime because they are decisive players unlike Curran and McCarthy.

Agree with most of what you say but I have actually been a small bit dissapointed with Gillane so far this league from play ( I will admit I only seen the Galway, Clare and Tipp games), he was held scoreless against Galway and only a point last week, I appreciate that he is probably better suited to summer conditions and hard ground, but the two times he came up against top corner backs he was easily nullified. Would worry about a full forward line that contains both Gillane and Casey, they would struggle to impose themselves and win primary possesion. Casey is a far more rounded hurler for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

Limerick SH championship squad 2018:

1. Declan Hannon (Adare)
    2. Dan Morrissey
    3. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    4. William O'Meara (Askeaton)
    5. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock)
    6. Paul Browne
    7. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    8. Richie English
    9. Barry Murphy
    10. Darragh O'Donovan
    11. Pat Ryan (Doon)
    12. David Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca)
    13. Nicky Quaid (Effin)
    14. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh)
    15. Kyle Hayes
    16. Barry O'Connell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)
    17. Barry Hennessy
    18. Graeme Mulcahy
    19. Paddy O'Loughlin
    20. Oisin O'Reilly (Kilmallock)
    21. Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    22. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave
    23. Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen)
    24. Seamus Hickey (Murroe Boher)
    25. Mike Casey
    26. Peter Casey
    27. David Dempsey
    28. Shane Dowling
    29. Kevin Downes
    30. William O'Donoghue (Na Piarsaigh)
    31. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen)
    32. Diarmaid Byrnes
    33. Aaron Gillane
    34. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)
    35. Barry Nash (South Liberties)
    36. Gearoid Hegarty (St. Patrick's)

Notable exclusions seem to be Ronan lynch and Alan Dempsey.

• Advertisement

Agree with most of what you say but I have actually been a small bit dissapointed with Gillane so far this league from play ( I will admit I only seen the Galway, Clare and Tipp games), he was held scoreless against Galway and only a point last week, I appreciate that he is probably better suited to summer conditions and hard ground, but the two times he came up against top corner backs he was easily nullified. Would worry about a full forward line that contains both Gillane and Casey, they would struggle to impose themselves and win primary possesion. Casey is a far more rounded hurler for me.

Yeah I'd agree about Gillane, I thought he worked very hard against Galway and won some good frees but when he comes up against top quality inter county cornerbacks there's still question marks about him. His relatively inexperienced at inter county level and his young, the potential is there. He was poor against Tipperary but it looked like he was carrying an injury and should have been taken off earlier. I think he'll be a starter come championship though

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭LMK

Very strange that Alan Dempsey isn't on the panel, I'd expect him to be in the mix for the first 15 all things being equal..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I would have Dowling in there all day long at 14, regardless of his 'fitness'.
    When push came to shove he has produced the goods over the last few years. Has a great brain. Remember that it was Dowling and Richie Mac that were Limerick's best players in Nowlan Park last year when we could've beat the Cats.
    Also, I find it mind-boggling how 2 players from mediocre junior teams in West Limerick can make the squad of 36 ahead of Alan Dempsey, a player who is clearly in the form of his life right now, as anyone that watched the 2 club finals will agree.
    One of these players couldn't make the matchday 26 for the U21 final just 6 months ago.
    Really hope that there is an opportunity for Dempsey to play himself back into contention over the next few weeks.

washman3 wrote: »
    I would have Dowling in there all day long at 14, regardless of his 'fitness'.
    When push came to shove he has produced the goods over the last few years. Has a great brain. Remember that it was Dowling and Richie Mac that were Limerick's best players in Nowlan Park last year when we could've beat the Cats.

Agree 100% Dowling is quality, and as I said intialy a very intelligent hurler, would be the perfect foil for Casey and Gillane, if you play those two you have to play a three man FF line and if Dowling plays the full 70 it has to be at the edge of the square.

Agree 100% Dowling is quality, and as I said intialy a very intelligent hurler, would be the perfect foil for Casey and Gillane, if you play those two you have to play a three man FF line and if Dowling plays the full 70 it has to be at the edge of the square.

will be interesting to see what plans Kiely has for both him and Downes.
    Dowling won an All-Star at 14, causing JJ Delaney all sorts of problems in a semi-final at a time when JJ was destroying most opponents at will.

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    will be interesting to see what plans Kiely has for both him and Downes.
    Dowling won an All-Star at 14, causing JJ Delaney all sorts of problems in a semi-final at a time when JJ was destroying most opponents at will.

I think to date Kiely to his credit has gotten pretty much everything spot on, personally I had serious reservations about the move of Hegarty to the forward line but on the basis of the Clare and Tipp games Kiely has gotten that spot on and he has added a much needed physicality to the HF line.

Munster Championship has the potential to be epic, no one could confidently call the top 3 or rule out any of the 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I don't know much about o meara but do know o loughlin wouldn't lace dempseys boots

I think to date Kiely to his credit has gotten pretty much everything spot on, personally I had serious reservations about the move of Hegarty to the forward line but on the basis of the Clare and Tipp games Kiely has gotten that spot on and he has added a much needed physicality to the HF line.

Munster Championship has the potential to be epic, no one could confidently call the top 3 or rule out any of the 5.

Well without doubt Tipp will take 1 place, so that leaves 4 teams in a dogfight for the other 2 spots. Limerick will need to target the Waterford game in G/G and Cork in PUC both of which are a tall order, as I feel that we simply will not take Clare in Ennis. I cannot see any 'dead rubber' games in Munster.

Yea,I wouldn't be as familiar with Gillane I suppose.Only came across him on the U-21 side and during this league.I think the encouraging thing was that he won plenty of possession Vs Michael Cahill,his decision making from that point probably wasn't his best but I think he was carrying a knock after that early injury.Ye have some very good forwards though.There was the potential for more goals aswell so a bit more ruthlessness and ye will be a force for anyone.

It's so open.Waterford would really need to get Gleeson back fit soon or they will be in serious trouble.

I'd fancy Tipp to top the group with Limerick and Waterford to make it through.
    Hard to discount Clare,but they will too reliant on Tony Kelly I think.

lim4ev wrote: »
    I don't know much about o meara but do know o loughlin wouldn't lace dempseys boots

O Meara is a good hurler but had some bad luck with injuries. One for the future, his still under 21 and he was a Minor in 2016. I feel like Alan Dempsey deserves a place but I don't think he was named on the original panel at the start of the year. I thought he played himself into contention with his performances in the All Ireland club championship.

Yea,I wouldn't be as familiar with Gillane I suppose.Only came across him on the U-21 side and during this league.I think the encouraging thing was that he won plenty of possession Vs Michael Cahill,his decision making from that point probably wasn't his best but I think he was carrying a knock after that early injury.Ye have some very good forwards though.There was the potential for more goals aswell so a bit more ruthlessness and ye will be a force for anyone.

I see you are new here Ray so I am going to cut you some slack and let you away with the inference that I am a Limerick man :D proud Tipp man in fact!

I agree with you on the Limerick forwards and when you consider they have Casey and Dowling to come back - your comment about the ruthlessness is spot on and in particular Flanagan at full forward, he had Barry in all sorts of bother but just lacked that little bit of experience and composure to but the nail in the coffin and the two Tipp corner backs bailed Barry out on two seperate ocassions when the goal chance was created, definite potential there though.

As a Tipp man I would be very concerned about the Limerick game, first game always tricky, away to a fast improving team who traditionally have never feared Tipp, its a real potential bananna skin and I think we will need at least two of Noel McGrath, Bubbles and Callinan back and match fit to win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Notable exclusions seem to be Ronan lynch and Alan Dempsey.
    Lynch is going travelling for the summer apparently.

I see you are new here Ray so I am going to cut you some slack and let you away with the inference that I am a Limerick man :D proud Tipp man in fact!

I agree with you on the Limerick forwards and when you consider they have Casey and Dowling to come back - your comment about the ruthlessness is spot on and in particular Flanagan at full forward, he had Barry in all sorts of bother but just lacked that little bit of experience and composure to but the nail in the coffin and the two Tipp corner backs bailed Barry out on two seperate ocassions when the goal chance was created, definite potential there though.

As a Tipp man I would be very concerned about the Limerick game, first game always tricky, away to a fast improving team who traditionally have never feared Tipp, its a real potential bananna skin and I think we will need at least two of Noel McGrath, Bubbles and Callinan back and match fit to win.

haha fair enough.Yea,it's a definite banana skin for Tipp.Bonner is also crucially important because he makes that forward line tick and seems to be scoring more this league.Yea,Bubbles will be back hopefully soon to strengthen things.

• Advertisement

haha fair enough.Yea,it's a definite banana skin for Tipp.Bonner is also crucially important because he makes that forward line tick and seems to be scoring more this league.Yea,Bubbles will be back hopefully soon to strengthen things.

I didnt include Bonner because he is back training and it was only a minor knock was flying in training Tuesday night. Bubbles has wintered well shall we say :D

I didnt include Bonner because he is back training and it was only a minor knock was flying in training Tuesday night. Bubbles has wintered well shall we say :D
    Good stuff.
    Yes,it's better for Bubbles to come good in week 3 and continue that form..That looks like what will happen haha

Lynch is going travelling for the summer apparently.

Yeah that would explain it, I know he was poor in na piarsiaghs last game but was played out of position in my opinion , well worth a place on the panel. I think his best positions are half back and midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Limerick U17 football manager Niall Crowley has named his team to play Clare in the Munster U17 Football Championship 1st round match in Cusack Park, Ennis on this Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/LmkFootballers?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fmunster.gaa.ie%2F

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

washman3 wrote:
    Well without doubt Tipp will take 1 place, so that leaves 4 teams in a dogfight for the other 2 spots. Limerick will need to target the Waterford game in G/G and Cork in PUC both of which are a tall order, as I feel that we simply will not take Clare in Ennis. I cannot see any 'dead rubber' games in Munster.

I'd fancy Tipp to top the group with Limerick and Waterford to make it through. Hard to discount Clare,but they will too reliant on Tony Kelly I think.

Tipp not looking like dead certs now. That was an awful hammering they got yesterday. Bound to leave scar tissue .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

Tipp not looking like dead certs now. That was an awful hammering they got yesterday. Bound to leave scar tissue .

Don't underestimate a wounded animal;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

The amount of soft frees being given in the televised games is ridiculous

I actually think the ref has frustrated players and made game a poorer spectacle

Johnny Murphy doing senior all Ireland as well needs to let teams hurl

The amount of soft frees being given in the televised games is ridiculous

I actually think the ref has frustrated players and made game a poorer spectacle

Johnny Murphy doing senior all Ireland as well needs to let teams hurl

Agree. Johnny is on the National panel now and needs to let the game flow.
    If some of those frees he blew for were in an inter-county game there would be outrage.
    Some fine individual displays on both sides though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Losing Gillane and casey for tipp game would be two huge losses, two most potent forwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

Losing Gillane and casey for tipp game would be two huge losses, two most potent forwards

Are both players injured?

Advertisement