Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Pinch of salt
    iconeu_uk1-11-96-0_fwf1.png

334udqc.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

GFS could be going on it’s own with this one!

11am (4pm Ireland) NHC 5 day graphic outlook.

430416.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gas

DL8pbEJW0AAk9-3.jpg:medium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Met Eireann 6pm forecast has issued a preliminary warning re this event, but advise that that this is a developing situation and people need to follow the forecasts till then.

+1 to Met, this is the right call even if this turns out to be a non event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

First time poster here but looking at the above graphs would I be right thinking Waterford/Wexford could be hit quite hard by this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

That chart says 3 day error is 105Nm. There is a very good chance this could miss us completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

12z GEM has moved west to direct hit on Ireland, cyclone moves from 48N 11W at 00z Monday to intense stacked low near Belmullet 12z. This would be a high impact track for most of Ireland.

This removes the one eastern outlier from the model guidance suite.

12z GFS is comparatively slower and further west. This would be a level one alert for parts of Connacht and sub-alert for rest of Ireland.

More clarity after 12z ECM registers its vote perhaps.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    First time poster here but looking at the above graphs would I be right thinking Waterford/Wexford could be hit quite hard by this one?

Cork, Kerry, Waterford and Wexford would potentially be where it reaches landfall on Irish shores from what I can see. That's if it lands a direct hit here at all.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/12/world/hurricane-ophelia-ireland/index.html

CNN have got this. Expect Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer to arrive over the weekend. :p

59b5944fe4b0f22e0e9f0145_1455589917779-yrd15k_t_1505072275660_640_360_400.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

jasper100 wrote: »
    Cork, Kerry, Waterford and Wexford would potentially be where it reaches landfall on Irish shores from what I can see. That's if it lands a direct hit here at all.

Looks alot worse in Clare than Waterford and Wexford!

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/12/world/hurricane-ophelia-ireland/index.html

CNN have got this. Expect Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer to arrive over the weekend. :p

We have Tereasa Mannion, we're fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

jasper100 wrote: »
    That chart says 3 day error is 105Nm. There is a very good chance this could miss us completely.

IS the error not in the cone, though? If not whats the point of the cone.

EDIT:

Of course if it tracks to the west of that cone of probability it wont affect Ireland much at all. The centre -- presumably the most probable - will.

Right, the actual track usually falls within the cone, in rare cases it has shifted further than the edges of the cone which is what the NHC have found operationally to be something like the 95% certain to verify zone. Don't forget that the cone uncertainty is also operating in elapsed time, in other words, there is uncertainty at each of the cone-bisecting elapsed times such as 72h, 96h, and that is not visually apparent, the error there is probably a little larger in spatial terms than the spread of tracks.

The timing uncertainty can be seen comparing GEM and GFS, already at least 8 hours in the vicinity of Ireland, and 4 deg of longitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Right, the actual track usually falls within the cone, in rare cases it has shifted further than the edges of the cone which is what the NHC have found operationally to be something like the 95% certain to verify zone. Don't forget that the cone uncertainty is also operating in elapsed time, in other words, there is uncertainty at each of the cone-bisecting elapsed times such as 72h, 96h, and that is not visually apparent, the error there is probably a little larger in spatial terms than the spread of tracks.

The timing uncertainty can be seen comparing GEM and GFS, already at least 8 hours in the vicinity of Ireland, and 4 deg of longitude.

I remembered reading this earlier this year on NHC's website:
    Historical data indicate that the entire 5-day path of the center of the tropical cyclone will remain within the cone about 60-70% of the time. To form the cone, a set of imaginary circles are placed along the forecast track at the 12, 24, 36, 48, 72, 96, and 120 h positions, where the size of each circle is set so that it encloses 67% of the previous five years official forecast errors. The cone is then formed by smoothly connecting the area swept out by the set of circles.

That 67% is over five years so I guess the certainty in a given year would be relatively higher? (I'm no mathematician, nor will I ever be).

Gotta hand it to the Americans. They can be very officious - but their official websites and information sources are very well explained.

Edit: NHC's interactive map. If this was to come off, all of Sligo, Mayo, Donegal and Kerry as well as most of the western side of the country would experience a true Category 1 Hurricane. The green is 1min. sustained 64kt (75mph) wind.

7bb7a71552f6301259ef35600800a8ef.png

sdanseo wrote: »
    I remembered reading this earlier this year on NHC's website:

That 67% is over five years so I guess the certainty in a given year would be relatively higher? (I'm no mathematician, nor will I ever be).

Gotta hand it to the Americans. They can be very officious - but their official websites and information sources are very well explained.

Edit: NHC's interactive map. If this was to come off, all of Sligo, Mayo, Donegal and Kerry as well as most of the western side of the country would experience a true Category 1 Hurricane. The green is 1min. sustained 64kt (75mph) wind.

7bb7a71552f6301259ef35600800a8ef.png

The people of Rosslare must be wondering why they are being left out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks like ECM has the perfect storm for Ireland this evening. Worst case scenario for the South Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The 96 on the ECM is out, it didn't go west... :eek:

ECM1-96.GIF?12-0

ECM 12z

B2DC6C39-D5D0-48E2-A187-B68D7BFC8D59.gif.db22ea1c72fe0fd10a4960692142f501.gif

• Advertisement

Did anyone earlier mention the 12z Arpege? It rocks the house and moves a touch to the east of the NHC track (by perhaps 50 miles). Well here comes the 12z ECM ...

... and it's heading for west Munster with very strong winds depicted at 96h -- a touch slower than previous pace, worst of the storm would be 15-18z presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

ECM
    ECM1-96_bpf9.GIF

UKMO
    UW96-21_nwk2.GIF

GFS
    gfs-0-96_iul5.png

GEM
    gem-0-96_qgi2.png

I think we can see what the current outlier is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks like a direct hit for here. WOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Looks like a direct hit for here. WOW!

Best disassemble the kids trampoline on Saturday :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The 96 on the ECM is out, it didn't go west...

ECU1-96_sss7.GIF

Note 850 hPa Winds

ECU4-96_eiq6.GIF

It should be noted, the Met Office commentary of course only applies to the UK and their maximum wind gusts would be for Derry and western Scotland, parts of (Republic of) Ireland could expect 80-100 mph gusts consistent with their scenario.

Frankly, some of this guidance looks worse than Debbie 1961, don't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Looks like a swing east on the 120?!?

ECM1-120.GIF?12-0

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Only seen this thread now
    12 pages in a day
    I'm scared

Expecting downgrades, got the opposite. Plenty of time yet for it to change completely however some of that guidance looks quite frankly scary!

I'd love to give wind updates from West Clare but if that comes off I'm not confident of my current weather station set up so it would be coming inside for safe keeping!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

My money is on the ECM and the other European models

UyeOYHe.gif?1

Advertisement