Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

why is the snowline always 200m?

Options
  • 10-01-2015 10:55pm
    Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭

Just thought about it and every time there is a cold spell that is marginal the snowline is almost exactly 200m. What cools or warms the airmass that means that it must stop at this exact point??

Its really quite fascinating how the snowline always stops at this exact point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

edited

cause im obviously drunk trolling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Over 200 metres is considered high ground in Ireland, I can't speak for elsewhere.

Even the department of agriculture use this altitude, my land for example is designated disadvantaged and is classed mountainous by the Department of agriculture under the disadvantage area scheme.
    They are re-doing that scheme and one thing to qualify will be again land over 200 metres asl.

I do notice when there is hill snow, we can be white and land around at lower levels stay green or just a dusting.

One could see this at the end of March 2010, when rain and snow moved down from the north, think Cavan got snow drifts over 7ft.
    But here in Kilkenny, it rained in Kilkenny city, but the hills around the city had blizzards and snow drifts over 3 feet deep.

I notice too when there is frost, lower down gets the worst frost, but then the next day they also get higher temperatures in winter presuming no fog, as high ground can be above the fog and in the sun.

It is just colder and even I notice when I go from where I live to land that is over 300m asl, that it is colder and that is about a 100metres asl difference.

Personally I hate colder weather, living on high ground makes one like mild weather.
    Though I suppose if you didn't want to be bothered by people, getting snowed in helps :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭snowinwinter

RobertKK wrote: »
    Over 200 metres is considered high ground in Ireland, I can't speak for elsewhere.

Even the department of agriculture use this altitude, my land for example is designated disadvantaged and is classed mountainous by the Department of agriculture under the disadvantage area scheme.
    They are re-doing that scheme and one thing to qualify will be again land over 200 metres asl.

I do notice when there is hill snow, we can be white and land around at lower levels stay green or just a dusting.

One could see this at the end of March 2010, when rain and snow moved down from the north, think Cavan got snow drifts over 7ft.
    But here in Kilkenny, it rained in Kilkenny city, but the hills around the city had blizzards and snow drifts over 3 feet deep.

I notice too when there is frost, lower down gets the worst frost, but then the next day they also get higher temperatures in winter presuming no fog, as high ground can be above the fog and in the sun.

It is just colder and even I notice when I go from where I live to land that is over 300m asl, that it is colder and that is about a 100metres asl difference.

Personally I hate colder weather, living on high ground makes one like mild weather.
    Though I suppose if you didn't want to be bothered by people, getting snowed in helps :pac:
    Yes but what i'm saying is why the snowline seems to be ALWAYS at that point. At least here.

Yes I am aware, I live near a high hill and have driven many a time to higher land and usually there are two snowlines: 200m and 300m. Nothing else, but if its 3c and raining heavy you can be guaranteed there will be quite deep snow at 300m.

I am sure right now its pretty white up there, but its not worth my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

We rarely get proper snow from a westerly, modification at the lowest level is guaranteed no matter how strong and direct the flow across the Atlantic is. Nothing set in stone about the 200m level but it just happens to be that for a typical cold zonal setup the air gets sufficiently mixed to that level to keep the snow line on high ground. Later in the season when SST's are colder or in an exceptionally strong flow the level can be reduced to sea level

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

For every 100 metres in altitude, I have read the temperature can vary from 0.3C to 1.0C in difference, so 200 metres above sea level you could be upto 2 degrees colder than sea level if that is correct.

Currently I am over 1.1C degree colder than Kilkenny city with is about 145 metres lower and that can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Any reason the original poster of this thread was banned? can't see any reason why he should be. All he was doing was contributing to the forum.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yep Permanent site ban by Boards Admin team. Our friend Owenc was back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement