Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grangegorman records

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Sonia989 wrote: »
    Sorry to be posting in such an old thread but I just wondering if anyone has any more information on who to contact to access old Richmond Lunatic Asylum records? Feels cruel to type that! Just discovered my 3x Great Grandfather was admitted for trying to Commit Suicide in 1887, and I'd love to know more to add any details to my tree. If someone could PM me, I'd really appreciate it!

Hi Sonia,

I'm not sure how far back the records go but I will send you a PM with details for the HSE contact that I have.

If the HSE are no help, it might be worth contacting the National Archives and requesting any documentation that they might have under Freedom Of Information. I got prison records for my great grandfather from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sonia989

Hi Sonia,

I'm not sure how far back the records go but I will send you a PM with details for the HSE contact that I have.

If the HSE are no help, it might be worth contacting the National Archives and requesting any documentation that they might have under Freedom Of Information. I got prison records for my great grandfather from them.

Hello! I feel like it may be a long shot but worth a try. I emailed Grangegorman and National Archives just in the last hour and I probably won't hear back until June, with everything going on, but I don't mind.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. Looking forward to your PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Hello! I feel like it may be a long shot but worth a try. I emailed Grangegorman and National Archives just in the last hour and I probably won't hear back until June, with everything going on, but I don't mind.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. Looking forward to your PM!

No problem. The HSE took a week or two to reply to me. The National Archives took forever to reply.

Good luck and I hope you will find some good info!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

Since trying to commit suicide was a crime, it is possible that he was transferred to Grangegorman from a prison, so Irish Prison Registers 1790-1924 on findmypast might have some information. I found a record for my great-great-grandaunt there, headed Grangegorman Female Prison Registry of Lunatics Committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sonia989

Earnest wrote: »
    Since trying to commit suicide was a crime, it is possible that he was transferred to Grangegorman from a prison, so Irish Prison Registers 1790-1924 on findmypast might have some information. I found a record for my great-great-grandaunt there, headed Grangegorman Female Prison Registry of Lunatics Committed.

Thanks for that, I actually found a prison record with his name on it just last week, and his sentencing to Richmond. Then I checked his name in newspapers and he was mentioned twice. It made me so sad, and seeing as he was a military man his whole life, unsurprising that he suffered so much. My mother and I would love to find his grave and leave some flowers, that's why we'd love to get our hands on his records.

Did you happen to get your great grand Aunt's records from Grangegorman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

Thanks for that, I actually found a prison record with his name on it just last week, and his sentencing to Richmond. Then I checked his name in newspapers and he was mentioned twice. It made me so sad, and seeing as he was a military man his whole life, unsurprising that he suffered so much. My mother and I would love to find his grave and leave some flowers, that's why we'd love to get our hands on his records.

Did you happen to get your great grand Aunt's records from Grangegorman?

No, just the burial record from Mount Jerome Cemetery giving her address as Richmond Lunatic Asylum. I couldn't find a death certificate but the name is unmistakable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lubielu

Does anyone have any recent information or updates on obtaining Grangegorman information? I'm trying to get my Grandmother's records from the 1950's. My mum was her only child and I'm helping her to do it. I have sent all the next of kin info and relevant certs to HSE and am waiting on a reply. The small print says they still do not have to give you any information even if you provide everything they ask for. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

They are very behind. I sent documentation for a client at the beginning of 2020 and it took almost a year, which they blamed on Covid but I suspect it was only partially to blame.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement