Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭mosstin

New album by The Antlers - 'Familiars' - streaming here. Opening track 'Palace' is one of the more beautiful songs I've heard this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

The Delines-Colfax. Smokey country soul from Willy Vlautin of Richmond Fontaine and Jenny Conlee of The Decemberists with the female voice of Amy Boone

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Saw the Delines the other night. Wish I'd heard the album a bit more before the gig, as it seemed very similarly paced the whole way through. Jenny Conlee didn't play with them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

new Phantom Band album Strange Friend is out - their first 2 records were great but they dropped off the radar for a few years afterwards. Whole album was on Spotify last week but seems to be only a 3-track sampler now:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Saw the Delines the other night. Wish I'd heard the album a bit more before the gig, as it seemed very similarly paced the whole way through. Jenny Conlee didn't play with them either.

She played on the album, didn't tour with them. Similarly paced is not something that bothers me, a lot of albums are like that, but I get what you're saying. I just think the songwriting, playing and singing is beautiful, lyrically the songs are very narrative, and the album comes across better than live, I saw them in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

$_35.JPG

Ought - More Than Any Other Day
    Spiky, oddly-tuned guitars and chaos courtesy of some Canadians blokes.

fantastic album.

it might be my favorite musical-thing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

New Brian Jonestown massacre album stream.
    http://thequietus.com/articles/15250-brian-jonestown-massacre-revelation-album-stream

They play The Ambassador in July

^that should read the academy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

cranks wrote: »
    ^that should read the academy
    Thanks for getting my hopes up that The Ambassador was starting to host gigs again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,120 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mosstin wrote: »
    New album by The Antlers - 'Familiars' - streaming here. Opening track 'Palace' is one of the more beautiful songs I've heard this year.

I think it's a masterpiece personally. Pulls the best aspects from Hospice and Burst Apart in a focussed manner. The closing track is exceptional.

• Advertisement

Cabaret Voltaire: '#7885 (Electropunk to Technopop 1978 – 1985)'. Released June.
    http://www.mutebank.co.uk/mutebank/mutebank/-7885-Electropunk-to-Technopop-1978-1985/3BCE0000000

First 2 tracks:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KwIR8r9RAk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NGFEmgXuwU

As good an intro to CV as you'll get but it's only the tip of their iceberg and you could do worse than checking out the source albums/EPs. Dark grating, occasionally atmospheric, industrial synth pop that's often unsettling but ultimately quite satisfying. Tastes awful at first but you feel compelled to keep trying and keep going back to it - a bit like corriander herb. 1st album 'Mix-Up' not represented at all which is a pity.

They play Berlin in August.
    http://mute.com/cabaret-voltaire/announce-first-live-performance-in-over-20-years-at-berlin-atonal-festival-23-august-2014
    I'd love to go and be solemn and avant garde with the solemn and avant garde crowd but it ain't a runner for me.

[I've cheated on this post: New Album, Recommend me an album, Indie/Altie chitter all in one. I'm thinking of the electric trees I tells ya.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

smokedeels wrote: »
    fantastic album.

it might be my favorite musical-thing this year.

Playing the workmans in November I just discovered, €12.

Should be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Dalhous ‎– Will To Be Well, released on Blackest Ever Black. Their first album is also great. Blackest Ever Black is a genuinely independent label regularly releasing interesting music.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I think this is my album of the year so far. Two weeks is definitely my favourite track up to now.

tumblr_n6wvt2XeG31raxlgvo1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I think this is my album of the year so far. Two weeks is definitely my favourite track up to now.

Insanely good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm enjoying the new Spoon album - never really listened to them much before (I read in one review that they were statistically the best band of the last 10 years according to Metacritic)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Royal Bloods debut album released today. On Spotify as well.

Really like the few tracks they've released so far.

Edit: not actually released til Monday but available to stream on Spotify and iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Has anyone actually listened to this U2 album yet? It's just sitting there in my iTunes library waiting for attention

Has anyone actually listened to this U2 album yet? It's just sitting there in my iTunes library waiting for attention

I'd sooner eat glass... Have you seen the song titles; talk about bloody pretentious! It's obvious someone's run out of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

daUbiq wrote: »
    I'd sooner eat glass... Have you seen the song titles; talk about bloody pretentious! It's obvious someone's run out of ideas.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2014/sep/10/ten-things-to-do-with-unwanted-u2-free-album-apple

• Advertisement

Havent really listened to some of these, but it does seem a poorer list this year for the Mercury music prize

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29079657

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

daUbiq wrote: »

I don't think the song titles are that pretentious, but naming your album after a poetry collection is mega-pretentious

smacg wrote: »
    Havent really listened to some of these, but it does seem a poorer list this year for the Mercury music prize

Only listened to two off that list - Albarn and FKA Twigs and neither do all that much for me even though LP1 does contain a couple of really good tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I saw Young Fathers rocking Body & Soul at EP and they were class. One of my highlights of the weekend.
    They'll be huge outsiders for the Mercury Music Prize though.

I don't think the song titles are that pretentious, but naming your album after a poetry collection is mega-pretentious

Check out the article on the quietus about Bono and U2. I can't post links yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Loving the debut album from Catfish and The Bottlemen.. released today, but already on constant repeat!

If the first three songs from the album (as below) don't win you over, then it ain't for you!

smacg wrote: »

People say that every year though.

People say that every year though.
    Maybe, didnt think much of last years list either. Though the previous 3 winners before that were Alt J, PJ Harvey and the xx. Would be interested to know if there is anything near as good on this years list, as I havent listened to most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Basq wrote: »
    Loving the debut album from Catfish and The Bottlemen.. released today, but already on constant repeat!

If the first three songs from the album (as below) don't win you over, then it ain't for you!

Been following these guys for some time, they formed in Llandudno, my home town, and up until 18months ago were playing weekly gigs at my Brother in law's pub, started off with a couple of people watching them there, by the last gig the place was rammed, people standing outside and all

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Been following these guys for some time, they formed in Llandudno, my home town, and up until 18months ago were playing weekly gigs at my Brother in law's pub, started off with a couple of people watching them there, by the last gig the place was rammed, people standing outside and all

You'd imagine they'd have a better view inside.

Advertisement