Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The LDS office, Glasnevin

• 15-05-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever been? I need to see the indexes for Northern Ireland between 1930-1950 and I don't fancy a trip to GRONI in Belfast. I spend much more time in Dublin, and would prefer it tbh. I know the advice is to ring ahead to make sure it's open on the day one visits.

I keep reading on various websites and in books that there are some actual register entries available, not just index entries - according to John Grenham, marriages and deaths for NI 1922-1959, which would be very handy for me! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

So has anyone paid a visit?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've never been. I was put off by opening times.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm going next week - I'll report back. :)

Hmmm - I've been ringing the Glasnevin centre for two days and no answer. Same for the Belfast centre. I rang the Cork centre and was kindly given an e-mail address for Glasnevin but it doesn't work. I rang the woman back, in Cork, and she said as far as she knows it's open and I should just keep ringing.

I suppose I'll just have to keep calling and hope I get an answer. I don't want to come down from Dundalk and then out to Glasnevin (on public transport, I've no car) only to find it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Is there actually a Family History Centre at that church? I can't see it on the website, though I can see the church on the mormon.org site. The FamilySearch site only shows FHCs in Derry, Coleraine, Belfast, Limerick and Cork. I've used the one in Derry many, many times and it's a great resource.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I went there in the 80's with a genealogy class but it had to be organised specially, our teacher was mormon. Haven't heard much about it since though. Maybe the internet has made it redundant?

I'm going to e-mail John Grenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Any response from himself? Any luck phoning Glasnevin?

rhapsody wrote: »
    Any response from himself? Any luck phoning Glasnevin?

No reply from Dublin, I just get through to a full voicemail inbox for (I think) Bishop Gild (can't hear the name properly). Some sources indicate that there is no number and to just show up at the requisite times, which themselves are quite diverse across a range of sources.

I did receive a reply from John who advised me to ring the Limerick FHC which is open tomorrow at 10 am, which I will do, of course. When I get confirmation of the fact the Dublin centre is indeed open, and when, I'll let you know when I'm coming down.

John asked that I let him know how I get on, and again I will. And of course report back here too. :)

Right so - I've attempted to again contact (via phone) all the family history centres in Ireland including Limerick, at all the times indicated they would be open from various sources, and I couldn't get an answer in any of them, north or south. So I decided to go straight to source and e-mail the Church in Utah, and this is the reply I received:

"Thank you for contacting FamilySearch regarding the operation hours of the Dublin Ireland Family History Center.

The Dublin Ireland Family History Center does not currently have a phone number. Their hours of operation are Wednesdays: 10am-2pm and 6pm-9pm; Thursdays: 10am-2pm and 7pm-9pm.

We hope you enjoy visiting the Family History Center!"

So it looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and head down to Glasnevin next Wednesday and see if it's open. Fingers crossed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

The address for the "Dublin Family Search Centre" on their website is Dooradoyle Road, Limerick! There is a note attached to the Limerick one however:
    Please telephone Mary Davison on 061 392464 for an appointment.

Also, if you were trying the Derry one, it is definitely open on all the times listed, apart from what it doesn't say is that the Monday opening is every other week. If you try tomorrow between 7pm and 9pm you will definitely get someone in, and it ought to be Diane who manages the place - I pass by there every Thursday. Outside of the opening times listed, it's going to be hit and miss, the church is locked up most of the time (I live just around the corner :)). The number, including the code from the 26 counties, is 048 7135 0179.

Dun wrote: »
    The address for the "Dublin Family Search Centre" on their website is Dooradoyle Road, Limerick! There is a note attached to the Limerick one however:
    Please telephone Mary Davison on 061 392464 for an appointment.

Also, if you were trying the Derry one, it is definitely open on all the times listed, apart from what it doesn't say is that the Monday opening is every other week. If you try tomorrow between 7pm and 9pm you will definitely get someone in, and it ought to be Diane who manages the place - I pass by there every Thursday. Outside of the opening times listed, it's going to be hit and miss, the church is locked up most of the time (I live just around the corner :)). The number, including the code from the 26 counties, is 048 7135 0179.

Thanks Dun. I rang Mary in Limerick and left her a message but no reply yet. I'll ring Diane, cheers.

Hope you get some reply from somewhere, you're certainly dedicated to the task in hand. :) Looks like they don't expect anyone to try to contact them. Might be a simple explanation though which we are not aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Hope you get some reply from somewhere, you're certainly dedicated to the task in hand. :) Looks like they don't expect anyone to try to contact them. Might be a simple explanation though which we are not aware of.

They are probably all out knocking on doors looking for new members.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Now that I see the amazing line about them not having a phone, it has rung a bell - pardon the pun. I seem to remember wanting to go there years ago and being put off by the fact that they had no phone.

Why would they have no phone? That's just bizarre.:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Maybe they've converted to Amish-ism!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Geniecon

The FHC do not have indexes or records after 1922 for Northern Ireland, so you would need to check with Belfast FHC. PRONI also have a research facility. You could check out their website http://www.proni.gov.uk. I know you said that you would prefer not to have to go there, but it may be worth a phone call to see what can be done by snail-mail.
    Good luck.

Advertisement