Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pilates or Yoga Classes in North Dublin

Options
  • 14-08-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

I have had an operation on my back couple of months ago. I have been told by doc that I need to learn to do core strengthen exercises. I am not sure which I need to do Pilates or Yoga as I have been told that both consist of these exercises. I am looking for classes in the north Dublin area i.e. Sherries, Rush, Swords etc... That are been held in early evening or at night.
    I am looking also for classes that have some males are attending as most of the classes I have seen advertised are for pregnant women.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

We're closer to town (just off the M50/M1) but have Ashtanga Yoga classes. Our Thursday class is at 6.30pm, its taught by a guy and the majority of students are guys. We also have a class on Wednesdays 5.30pm (back in September), taught by a lady but there are a few guys in the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Namaste1

Hi meolwan,

Isn't there a yoga place in Swords in the airside place near the Wright Venue? I saw advert about them doing AcroYoga but I believe they have 'normal' classes too!

Try a class and see what you think, but I wouldn't recommend going for any of the special classes like Hot Yoga or AcroYoga if you need to work on healing a back injury. Make sure to mention your injury to your teacher of course and be aware that some are more qualified than others to handle such issues in a general class. Might be worth shopping around for the right teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

I'm a new boy here and I have been reading the posts about yoga classes for males. I'm late 50s and not fit. I live in Dunlaoghaire and I would like to find a yoga class on a weekday evening for people like me without prior experience. My most recent attempt at an exercise class was curtailed by a health problem which has been resolved but the prospect of another room full of noisy women puts me off. Oddly, I mentioned it to my GP and he said that a lot of men had had the same experience in exercise classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

meolwan wrote: »
    I have had an operation on my back couple of months ago. I have been told by doc that I need to learn to do core strengthen exercises. I am not sure which I need to do Pilates or Yoga as I have been told that both consist of these exercises. I am looking for classes in the north Dublin area i.e. Sherries, Rush, Swords etc... That are been held in early evening or at night.
    I am looking also for classes that have some males are attending as most of the classes I have seen advertised are for pregnant women.
    What does your physio advise? If you've had a back operation, I wouldn't start eiother without taking advice from a physio tbh.
    Paulownia wrote: »
    I'm a new boy here and I have been reading the posts about yoga classes for males. I'm late 50s and not fit. I live in Dunlaoghaire and I would like to find a yoga class on a weekday evening for people like me without prior experience. My most recent attempt at an exercise class was curtailed by a health problem which has been resolved but the prospect of another room full of noisy women puts me off. Oddly, I mentioned it to my GP and he said that a lot of men had had the same experience in exercise classes.
    Open Minds Yoga on Pearse St offer a free first class to men :)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

Thanks for all the advice folks. Hermione* I will be talking with my physo before I do anything.
    Namaste1 I have heard there is a place in swords but I dont know anything about them yet so if you have any details can you pm me with them.

MaeveD can you pm the details of classes and where they are held.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

meolwan wrote: »
    MaeveD can you pm the details of classes and where they are held.

done :)

There have been some changes to our yoga classes since my 1st post (I can't edit it), here's a link to the new info: http://www.defendu.ie/ashtanga-yoga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 louisefagan

Hi, I teach Yoga Classes for Beginners, Improvers and Pregnancy in Swords and Skerries, Fingal North Co Dublin. www.louisefagan.com My Yoga classes are suitable for men and women of all ages and any level of fitness and flexibility. Yoga is non-competitive and Yoga is a gentle form of exercise that can help to heal aches and ailments as it is a gentle form of exercise. The breathing and relaxation techniques can be helpful for managing stress. I'm delighted to offer you a healthy hobby with regular special offers. So, if you've ever wondered about Yoga or want to start, you'll find full details on my new website www.louisefagan.com
    ... A Journey Into Wellbeing. Or join me in Swords or Skerries. Thanks and Best Wishes, Louise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭mymojo

hi! i own the yoga studio in airside swords that was mentioned.
    www.yoga4all.ie
    we dont do acroyoga (not sure where that came from?!) but we do a very unique and new class called antigravity yoga (see www.antigravityyoga.com) which is fantastic for those with back problems due to the decompression of your spine in every class and non impact movements.

we have alot of guys coming to the classes ( football teams and guys of all shapes, ages and fitness levels)

Feel free to come fly with us! All our instructors were trained by Christopher Harrisson the creator of the technique and are all fully qualified pilates and or yoga teachers also.

If Antigravity yoga doesnt suit we have regular classes too! drop in option available for all classes.
    PM me if you need any further info.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

mymojo wrote: »
    hi! i own the yoga studio in airside swords that was mentioned.
    www.yoga4all.ie
    we dont do acroyoga (not sure where that came from?!) but we do a very unique and new class called antigravity yoga (see www.antigravityyoga.com) which is fantastic for those with back problems due to the decompression of your spine in every class and non impact movements.

we have alot of guys coming to the classes ( football teams and guys of all shapes, ages and fitness levels)

Feel free to come fly with us! All our instructors were trained by Christopher Harrisson the creator of the technique and are all fully qualified pilates and or yoga teachers also.

If Antigravity yoga doesnt suit we have regular classes too! drop in option available for all classes.
    PM me if you need any further info.. :)
    I don't see where your studio was mentioned??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭mymojo

isn't there a yoga place in Swords in the airside place near the Wright Venue? I saw advert about them doing AcroYoga....

Hey there..thats the quote i was refering to as thats my studio being mentioned x

• Advertisement
Advertisement