Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Burial Question - Glasnevin Cemetry

Options
  • 09-01-2011 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help.

I have recently got information on my grandfathers grave as he died in 2006 and is buried in Glasnevin Cemetry. (Born 1936)

On the records there is also another person buried in the plot who died in 1935. This is a lady with a different surname.

I visited the grave today and only my gr/f is named on the stone.

So there are just 2 of them in there. Is there a possibility this woman in no relation whatsoever. Was this standard practise to put two different people in a plot...Any information on how it works, would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

hayzer wrote: »
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help.

I have recently got information on my grandfathers grave as he died in 2006 and is buried in Glasnevin Cemetry. (Born 1936)

On the records there is also another person buried in the plot who died in 1935. This is a lady with a different surname.

I visited the grave today and only my gr/f is named on the stone.

So there are just 2 of them in there. Is there a possibility this woman in no relation whatsoever. Was this standard practise to put two different people in a plot...Any information on how it works, would be great.

i have been doing a bit of research myself recently in glasnevin cemetry and have found their archives expensive but very useful. i found that my grandfathers grave had an unknown , to us, man buried first in the plot but it is possible that he is related to my grandfathers first wife. also my great grandfathers plot , he died in 1963,had 5 women unknown to us with the 1st burial in 1857.

if you check out maiden names of his wife or even his mother or married surnames of aunts etc. you might come up with a connection. but there is a chance they have no relationship to you at all.

hope this helps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The short answer that they are probably unrelated people. The cemetery reuses graves. I'm not sure of their exact rules but if a grave has been untended and unvisited for X number of years, then they sell the plot again. There may not have been a headstone for the first lady or it may have fallen into disrepair. That said, you should still check out other names in the family to be sure she's not a maiden aunt or cousin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

2 questions -

1) you say "lady" rather than "female" - was there an age ? Or is it possible that this was an infant/young relative that was born around the same time as your grandfather ? Not having a name on the gravestone wouldn't be unusual in the case of an infant from what I know of those times.
    2) for 1) above to be possible then this would have to be a grave that was in the famliy since the 1930s. Do you have other family members buried nearby/elsewhere in Glasnevin ?

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

The lady buried in the plot was 50 years olds.

I only just found out about my dad/grandfather and his family....so not sure who is buried where...I need to find out his parents names, because that could help me answer the question.

The woman buried is Purdue and I know she had a daughter of the same name who would of been around 27 the time my grandfather was born...So the woman buried with him...could be his grandmother?

It then makes me think - If the above is the case....where is his mother buried.

Its interesting to research, but does anyone know how I could research my grandfathers parents? I have no leads in their family...So its pretty much record looking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If he was born in 1936 wouldn't they be in the 1901/1911 census records ?

If you don't know their names then you'll have to apply for your grandfathers marriage cert.

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    If he was born in 1936 wouldn't they be in the 1901/1911 census records ?

If you don't know their names then you'll have to apply for your grandfathers marriage cert.

Ok Thanks...I am not sure if he was married, but if he was...What information would I need to obtain this? Where do I get it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

hayzer wrote: »
    Ok Thanks...I am not sure if he was married, but if he was...What information would I need to obtain this? Where do I get it?

Should be in the sticky on the main page.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60478815&postcount=3

You need to contact the GRO. You either turn up in person at Abbey Street, Dublin or you can apply via post/fax (I've used fax a lot in the past and it works fine).

Or you'd be surprised by how many people around here like to help out with you family research. If you post as as much info as you possible have (names, dates) then someone will no doubt see what they can dig up...

Ponster wrote: »
    Should be in the sticky on the main page.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60478815&postcount=3

You need to contact the GRO. You either turn up in person at Abbey Street, Dublin or you can apply via post/fax (I've used fax a lot in the past and it works fine).

Or you'd be surprised by how many people around here like to help out with you family research. If you post as as much info as you possible have (names, dates) then someone will no doubt see what they can dig up...

Okay, That Sounds Great...I will do that!!

Advertisement