Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a Yoga mat

• 11-04-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've to get a yoga mat for my other half , does any body know where they can be got in Galway city?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Elverys, Argos, Boots... maybe even somewhere like Evergreen. Try elverys and argos for a good one first (since they're beside each other and have websites you can check) and if you've no joy try Boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Anatomy opposite Delight cafe just beyond CPs also; or the Elverys in Liosbaun.

I think I've seen them in Tesco also but don't know how good they are.

I picked up a decent set on Amazon; really nice quality one with a non-slip towel to match; much better value than the shop equivalent and they delivered very quickly; but obviously that's not ideal if you want something more immediate. Pm me if you want more details of it tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Stacks Mad

Picked one up in tesco and she seems fairly happy so thanks guys for the help !!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

I got a purpley one last year in tesco that was great - which I lost. Got one a couple of weeks ago in TK Maxx and its awful, cant get any grip on it, it also smells funny. I would definately say you'll get a decent one in one of the sports shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lucyoga

I'm really surprised no one mentioned the ethics/sustainability issues around yoga mats. Yoga is about respect, in a sense: respect for self and for 'other', which includes the world around one. So buying a mat which is made of oil-derived polymers, made in factories where people are paid poorly and treated worse, is a little hypocritical, if you're going for the holistic approach. Having said all that, I have a polymer-based mat myself for the simple reason that I have never had 50 euro plus to spend on a yoga mat. The ethics thing troubles me though. Anyone else have issues with this? It also bothers me that yoga teachers travel the world teaching yoga, and again, if sustainability or respect for the Earth is a part of yoga (and it seems logically necessary, if it is to be internally consistent, that it should be) there seems to be rather a large gap here between theory and practice. I wonder what others think. But again, I have to put my hands up and say I drive a very old two litre petrol car (because I cannot afford to 'invest' in a smaller alternative - it costs me a fortune in tax and petrol but it was the only car I could afford when I bought it for just over a grand), there's no public transport, and I often travel - to teach yoga, for instance - alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Hi Lucy,

Interesting points you raise here. First of all there is always choice, and there are eco yoga mats available - yes, they cost a little more, but are worth it IMHO. In regards to travel, I think it depends on how you look at it, as there is also the aspect of pay it forward where people like to share with communities which are wider than their immediate range. I don't teach myself, but have the upmost respect for my yoga teacher and what she does.

In love and light.

Advertisement