Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Death, top hat dunlaoighre..way back when..

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Didnt Morgoth , Massacre and Unleashed play one night ?

Edit : it was Immolation , not Unleashed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Saw Morbid Angel in McGonagles in 1991 or early 92, i think Unleashed supported them ? and a band called Grave not sure but MA were class.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

buck65 wrote: »
    Saw Morbid Angel in McGonagles in 1991 or early 92, i think Unleashed supported them ? and a band called Grave not sure but MA were class.

carcass and morbid and deicide are 3 gigs i wish i was at :) in mcgonagles, seen them all a few times since but it's not the same

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Was there too. - it was December 91. Was up in front of the barrier cos they had no proper wheelchair area. Met David Vincent afterwards, he was nice enough. Also met Pete(f***ing squirt). I think it was just Unleashed who supported them?

Was there too. - it was December 91. Was up in front of the barrier cos they had no proper wheelchair area. Met David Vincent afterwards, he was nice enough. Also met Pete(f***ing squirt). I think it was just Unleashed who supported them?

daves a legend, the all time greatest rock star pic ive ever seen was david in ireland after a gig in a white bathrobe with a white towel wrapped around his head like a chick!!!

he's the only stadium death metal frontman!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Death Metal IMO is not a stadium genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

How big was the Top hat, capacity wise? Bigger or smaller than what the SFX was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Yep, Dec '91 (Have ticket stub)...great gig...took a bus full from Sligo up to it. Met Unleashed(most of them) at the merch stand. Singer had some issue with passport so wasn't there.

Before the creation of time.....class track.....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Yep, Dec '91 (Have ticket stub)...great gig...took a bus full from Sligo up to it. Met Unleashed(most of them) at the merch stand. Singer had some issue with passport so wasn't there.

Before the creation of time.....class track.....

I was just marginally too young for those gigs but have seen them all since, but looking back the carcass/Morbid angel/death/ kreator and all the top hat gigs were right smack in the middle of the golden era and could never be truly recreated after.

next time metallica came here was black album tour and they were jaded (fact, over worked) even though the gigs were long and amazing set lists, it wasn't the same band from the top hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Never knew it was an actual venue. Use to roller skate but I was maybe 6 at the time...

My parents met there 50 year ago lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Check out the youtube clip by Alan Averill (Primordial)
    Plenty of late 80' / early 90's gigs incl the Death one in the top hat.
    Link -: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YemAU91gqM

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Advertisement