Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death, top hat dunlaoighre..way back when..

• 18-05-2008 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

I was surfing youtube and came across a vid of Death on the Spiritual Healing tour in 1990, chuck fronting the band...
    when I saw Death in the Top Hat a roadie fronted them... does anyone know what the story was that time...

I remember being well dissappointed but it was still a great gig...

here's the link in any case
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaVpbi_L4Bg&feature=related

if you scroll down the comments a guy mentions the whole sthing but no reason is given..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yep, that was when they supported Kreator who were touring Coma Of Souls.
    The other members of Death decide to tour Europe, against Chuck's wishes. The line-up for that tour is Terry Buttler / bass, Bill Andrews / drums, Walter Trachsler / guitar (ex-Rotting Corpse and Death guitar tech/soundman), Louie Carrisalez/vocals (Devestation). Obviously this causes a huge rift between Chuck and his former band members.

Chuck is determined to rise again with Death, his band, despite the fact that the press has printed many rumors and outright lies circulated by his ex-bandmates. Some said he was starting a glam band, others claimed he was in an insane asylum.

I remember it well. It was long before the popularity of the internet, so no-one really knew what was going on, it was a big surprise when Chuck didn't show up on stage, there were just some rumours going around at the Top Hat but nothing official, but it was a great gig nonetheless. I came away from that with Walter's plec, plus seven plecs from Kreators bass player, one from Mille, two from Frank and one of Ventor's sticks. They all came to the same spot to hand tham out and, being 6'3" it was a matter of simply sticking my hand up above those of the halflings around me :pac:

It was a bummer at the time, I was big into Death at that point, but seeing Chuck in McGonagles a couple of years later with Masvidal, Reinert and Carino more than made up for it.

I never got to see James Murphy though. Even when he was supposed to play with Obituary touring Cause Of Death they didn't show up in McGonagles, even though there was a rig on stage and we were allowed inside to wait :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Doctor J wrote: »
    It was a bummer at the time, I was big into Death at that point, but seeing Chuck in McGonagles a couple of years later with Masvidal, Reinert and Carino more than made up for it.
    You lucky ****

That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

did they not headline that gig in the top hat..??
    i can't remember....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i'd love info about gigs in the Top Hat, it was near my house and some big acts played there (including nirvana) but i was too young to go there when it was a venue. its a feckin apartment block now:( there dosnt seem to be any information on the internet about it at all...

Bands I saw there...

Slayer & Nuclear Assault (touring South Of Heaven & Survice, respectively)
    Metallica & Danzig (AJFA & Danzig)
    Onslaught, Crumbsuckers & Slammer (In Search Of Sanity & Beast On My Back - Slammer hadn't released anything at that point)

W.A.S.P. & Zed Yago (The Headless Children)
    Anthrax & Predator (State Of Euphoria)
    Sepultura &... possibly Predator again (Could've been 1990 - they were touring Beneath The Remains anyway)
    Suicidal Tendencies & M.O.D. (Feel Like ****/Deja-Vu & Gross Misconduct)

Faith No More & Prong (The Real Thing & Beg To Differ)
    Kreator & Death (Coma Of Souls & Spiritual Healing)

... there were probably more that I saw and the years are probably off on some of them too. I am an old man now, fetch me my pipe and slippers, sonny :pac: There were loads more gigs there too, Ozzy played there in 1988 or 89, Yngwie Malmsteen in the very early 90's. It was a good venue, shame it's gone.
    steveone wrote: »
    i can't remember....
    No, definitely not, it was Kreator's gig for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Doctor J - I hate your oldness :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Bands I saw there...

... there were probably more that I saw and the years are probably off on some of them too. I am an old man now, fetch me my pipe and slippers, sonny :pac: There were loads more gigs there too, Ozzy played there in 1988 or 89, Yngwie Malmsteen in the very early 90's. It was a good venue, shame it's gone.

No, definitely not, it was Kreator's gig for sure.

yes it was a great venue...before it turned into a creche...is it even there now??
    i remember being in the balcony to the left at the AJFA gig...hadn't glen danzig just left the misfits...he did last caress with them too IIrk,

sepultura were totally savage..i think a "the Cult" type band supported them, i'm not sure predator were still on the go then.. they were the first metal band I ever saw live.. top floor in music maker

and i can always remember john connellys shrill screechy voice.....
    there were some great gigs there alright...

Predator changed styles a hell of a lot, the first time I saw them in McGonagles in August 88 they were like Iron Maiden/Judas Priest, all screechy vocals and twin lead guitars all over the shop, still have the demo, it's good if not exactly original. When they supported Anthrax in the Top Hat they had morphed into a GnR clone and after that they supported The Almighty in McGonagles and were Motorhead.

It may not have been them who supported Sepultura, now that you mention it, but I'm pretty sure it was a local band who, as you said, were definitely not the right band for the gig :D

My overriding memory of the place was the huge mosh pit when Ride The Lightning was played over the PA at the Slayer/Nuclear Assault gig which was ****ing nuts and how the place just exploded when Nuclear Assault came on. You just don't see that type of thing these days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

loved those gigs in the top hat, first metal gig I saw was Sepultura there.
    Death were fantastic.
    Between the Top Hat and McGonagles you had two of the best places for a gig.
    Atmos was always brilliant.
    Remember seeing Ozzy in McGonagles as a warm up gig to his tour

R

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

steveone wrote: »
    i can't remember....

No. Kreator headlined. I got chatting to the girl who was running Death's merchant stand. Was joined be an American roadie looking dude. Watched the kreator set from there. Turns out the roadie looking dude was James Murphy, and merch lady was Gloria wells, later to become mrs max cavalera. I had no idea. Very down to earth.

As an aside, kreator were incredibly cool people. Through a neighbour who used to promote all the mcgonagles metal gigs (remember tamsin productions on your tickets?) they heard about a friend of mine who couldn't make the gig as he was in Beaumont hospital, very ill and on emergency dialysis. Tho next day they made their way out and spent a couple of hours with him in the ward. Very decent. Fecker got a shedload of kreator stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Prong one of the few I crave to see in a live environment, a double header with FNM what a billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

was right there with you doctorJ

Did you ever rollerskate in there? i did:o

those ozzy gigs in mcgonagles were outstanding in my gig going life.

Predator were class back in the day had some great guitarists, like niall mc greevy, but when they left couldn't replace them and unfortunately split up.
    Was at their last gig in mc gonagles

thats me front right headbanging like a lunatic!

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

The roller disco used to be a right laugh!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Anthrax 89 was that the gig they got spat on at

no that was sfx wasn't it?

hated that crap went on for far too long, blackie lawless didn't like it much either from what i remember

I remember onslought in mc gonagles once or twice, seem to recal the lads diving into the audience at the end and chatting away.

Grid. wrote: »
    The roller disco used to be a right laugh!!:D

indeed it did, kids today would rather do it on the WII or ps3....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭RayCon

Slayer & Nuclear Assault (touring South Of Heaven & Survice, respectively)
    Metallica & Danzig (AJFA & Danzig) - both nights
    Onslaught, Crumbsuckers & Slammer (In Search Of Sanity & Beast On My Back - Slammer hadn't released anything at that point)

Anthrax & Predator (State Of Euphoria)
    Suicidal Tendencies & M.O.D. (Feel Like ****/Deja-Vu & Gross Misconduct)

Faith No More & Prong (The Real Thing & Beg To Differ)

I was at all of those too ... FNM started late - we had to walk home after the gig.

McGonagles was a great venue too ... saw :

Acid Reign X 2
    Xentrix
    Ozzy
    Def Leppard
    Sabbat
    Sacred Reich
    DRI

... and eh ...

Blur
    Curve

RayCon wrote: »

... and eh ...

Blur
    Curve

BANNED

:P

yeah remember FNM being VERY late, had to walk home

No apology on stage and gig ends with Jim, who wasn't happy with his sound all gig, pricking around with his amp after the house lights were up

pulled him up on it in Bruxelles a few years after but sure he had no clue what i was on about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Good price for tickets :pac:

berlin_-_the_clash.jpg

20100406-130846-679198.jpg

Screen-Shot-2012-03-22-at-00.22.231.png

I was at all of those too ... FNM started late - we had to walk home after the gig.

McGonagles was a great venue too ... saw :

Acid Reign X 2
    Xentrix
    Ozzy
    Def Leppard
    Sabbat
    Sacred Reich
    DRI

Same here, except for the slayer show and one of the metallicas. I'm sure I know you! Were you the hairy one wearing leather, denim, high top runners, and a black tshirt?!?

• Advertisement

so who did their own embroidery on their half cuts and who got the mammy to do it?????

:D

found mine a few years back, clearly it had shrunk rediculously in some wash or other.......

so who did their own embroidery on their half cuts and who got the mammy to do it?????

:D

found mine a few years back, clearly it had shrunk rediculously in some wash or other.......

My other half at the time did mine. I spent a whole day getting the slayer logo, crossed swords and all, perfect. And I mean perfect. I wouldn't have spent so much time on it if I was getting it tattooed! Herself, being skilful with a needle, took it away and spent the weekend embroidering away. Unfortunately she didn't have exact matches for the colours so attempted a best match. Brilliant embroidery. Colours? Well, the pink lettering had to be coloured in with a red marker...

Didn't ask her to do the testament across the shoulders...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭RayCon

endacl wrote: »
    I'm sure I know you! Were you the hairy one wearing leather, denim, high top runners, and a black tshirt?!?

:eek: How did you know ?

:eek: How did you know ?

Not sure! You sound spookily familiar though...

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Gatling wrote: »
    Anthrax 89 was that the gig they got spat on at

Correct. They walked off after 4 or 5 songs. The crowd was not pleased.

Saw Sepultura there in 90. Can't remember the support band for the life of me. Must dig out all my old photos of these gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

Correct. They walked off after 4 or 5 songs. The crowd was not pleased.

Saw Sepultura there in 90. Can't remember the support band for the life of me. Must dig out all my old photos of these gigs.

I think it was Dream Creeper

I remember seeing several of the crowd 'engaging' with some of the spitters on the street outside. Glad I wasn't a spitter...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

yeah remember FNM being VERY late, had to walk home

Ditto. They were recording TOTP in the UK and that delayed them.

Anyone go to see Def Leppard in the TV Club? I think it was just as Pyromania was being released. They headed over to the States shortly afterwards and things took off from there for them big time. Was a great gig.

The only gig i saw in McGonagles(unintentionally) was The Stone Roses who were unknowns at the time and were booked to play the Friday night. They didnt go down well at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Punchbear

It was the singer from Devastation who toured with Butler et al on that Spiritual Healing stint. It amde them sound closer to Massacre than Death but Kreator were vastly superior. They opened with "When The Sun Burns Red" and it was far more accomplished than Death. Met Milla afterwards and he was really friendly. Then, like a lot of other people marooned in Dun Laoghaire, walked back into town along the DART tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Punchbear

As an aside, Anthrax stopped playing during "Anti-Social". Belladonna halted things but they came back out 5 minutes later. Started playing same song again, but this time they were gobbing on Scott Ian. He put his signature guitar down and took to the mic. This moment of whatever took his attention off his guitar which promptly disappeared into the crowd making things worse. Security chased it up and down but by the time it was rescued, Anthrax were understandably pissed off enough to not have the yin to continue.

Advertisement