Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would you do

Options
  • 09-04-2003 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there

a friend of mine is running for vice president of a student union in a small dublin college and has faced blatant discrimination during his campaign.

This being such as: Posters placed around the campus by the other candidates blatently(or subtly) suggesting that because you are gay, that you shouldnt be elected??

Posters were put up saying things such as:

VOTE xxxxxxxx..... For a STRAIGHT future.

and

VOTExxxxxxxx.... He's not BENT or corrupt.

What would you suggest if anything this person does

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I'd have complaints lodged about the posters from those that support him. Try and get people though that are not directly involved in his campaign to complain.

I'd also get on to the USI GLB rights officer to take this matter up with the local SU and local college admin.

Name and shame the college if they don't do anything. Give them the whole speech about them being party of they don't stand up against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Best way to counter a smear campaign, is to enunciate one of your own.

Fight fire with fire and all that..... if you can't sling the mug, get out of the ... umm mud pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Fight fire with fire and all that..... if you can't sling the mug, get out of the ... umm mud pit
    Actually, I've usually found water to be a more effective way of fighting fire, and I would advocate a similar approach in this matter. For a start, this smear campaign is in breach of the Equal Status Act, as it clearly militates against someone because of their sexual orientation (real or perceived). Also, this is a borderline case of a breach of the Incitement to Hatred act, since it can stir up homophobia and violence against homosexuals.

Retaliating won't solve anything, so I recommend bringing it to the local college authorities. Point out to them that under the auspices of the above pieces of legislation, such posters are illegal. Because it is effectively homophobic invective, the college have a responsibility to ensure that these are removed. If they are not, then I would recommend going to the local SU, as well as the USI LGB officer (as yellum pointed out). If you feel strongly about it, then I would also encourage you to write a piece for the local SU newsletter/newspaper.

I would also suggest that it might be a good idea to find out how the other candidates feel about having their names associated with homophobic insults. An interview with them, asking whether they approve of these posters or not will spell out their position on the matter. I find it hard to believe that they would not know posters like these are up, at the very least, so either they are demonstrating homophobia, ignorance, or hypocrisy. If it is the latter two, then perhaps they should become politicians....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Sure point out the transgression to the pertinent authority.

Getting the transgression redressed, will have no impact on the psychology of the proles. In order to undo the damage caused by the smear campaign in the electoral sense, you have to undermine the opposition too.

'How' you do that is up to you.

Or you could exploit the campaign and try to paint the opposition as being neo-fascit conservatives, you in effect occupy the holier then thou centre ground of political correctness.

Typedef : Running for President in 2004.

Advertisement