Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My fathers family - Cavan?

Options
  • 14-01-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a big user of boards, but have just come across this section and am delighted! My father (b. 1917, Cavan) left home at 19, never to return. He married my mother and they settled in Dublin in 1950. We never met any of our cavan relatives and only ever really heard vague stories about some brothers and a sister he had. I believe there was an argument over a farm, which was pretty common in those days.

Anyway, my dad is long deceased and I've tried a few times to contact any living relatives I may have. I wrote to the Ango Celt newspaper a few years back, and received a letter from a distant cousin of his, saying she remembered the 'prodigal son' in his family, who went to Dublin and never returned (this would have been my dad), but she had little if any information on where the rest of his family might be.

I'm wondering would anyone have any other ideas of ways to contact any of them, and where would I begin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Dont know how much detail you know about your dad's family, but you could start by searching for your parents marriage cert. This would show father's names and occupation for the bride & groom (and other details) which might help narrow down your paternal grandfather on the 1911 census.. possibly with his wife and even elder siblings of your grandfather.

Once you have a detailed location and a few names and dates of birth you could try to work forward from there ...

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I know the are of Cavan they lived in - that's about it. My dad was a desperately quiet man who volunteered little, if any information on anything!

Would I get my parents marriage certificate in Lombard house? I know the date and place they were married.

Thanks alot Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Fittle wrote: »
    I know the are of Cavan they lived in - that's about it. My dad was a desperately quiet man who volunteered little, if any information on anything!

Would I get my parents marriage certificate in Lombard house? I know the date and place they were married.

Thanks alot Shane

you can search the BMD index online on familysearch up to 1958. see http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347

If you find a possible match you can bring the reference details to the GRO research room in the Irish Life centre and pick up a research cert. (still €4 I think) www.groireland.ie

You should be able to find two index records (one for the bride and one for the groom) with the same key details - i.e. registration district, year/quarter, volume number & page number. This proves the two people appear on the same page of the marriage register and could have married each other.

Shane

Advertisement